Jump to content
fiddybucks

3rd imperial commander/ special forces?

Recommended Posts

So in terms of the commander unit, I wouldn’t be surprised at a Boba Fett, purely for the reasons that:

Luke and Vader, in some ways counter eachother. Their command hands have a similar 2 attack. They a balanced give/remove suppression. They are both heavy hitters mainly looking for Melee.

Leia and Veers do the same but in a support fashion. Their card abilities bring the core trooper units into the lime light, in opposite ways. Dishing aim/dodge. Building on precise/nimble. Their command hands also mirror eachother.

so the question here is, is that a theme between commanders to keep the balance? In which case, will the Imperial answer to Han Solo be a similar gun slinger/long range damage dealer. With this in mind as the assumption, is there anyone else apart from Boba Fett in the OT that can do that for the Imperials?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kojib said:

So in terms of the commander unit, I wouldn’t be surprised at a Boba Fett, purely for the reasons that:

Luke and Vader, in some ways counter eachother. Their command hands have a similar 2 attack. They a balanced give/remove suppression. They are both heavy hitters mainly looking for Melee.

Leia and Veers do the same but in a support fashion. Their card abilities bring the core trooper units into the lime light, in opposite ways. Dishing aim/dodge. Building on precise/nimble. Their command hands also mirror eachother.

so the question here is, is that a theme between commanders to keep the balance? In which case, will the Imperial answer to Han Solo be a similar gun slinger/long range damage dealer. With this in mind as the assumption, is there anyone else apart from Boba Fett in the OT that can do that for the Imperials?

 

Dengar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Kojib said:

So in terms of the commander unit, I wouldn’t be surprised at a Boba Fett, purely for the reasons that:

Luke and Vader, in some ways counter eachother. Their command hands have a similar 2 attack. They a balanced give/remove suppression. They are both heavy hitters mainly looking for Melee.

Leia and Veers do the same but in a support fashion. Their card abilities bring the core trooper units into the lime light, in opposite ways. Dishing aim/dodge. Building on precise/nimble. Their command hands also mirror eachother.

so the question here is, is that a theme between commanders to keep the balance? In which case, will the Imperial answer to Han Solo be a similar gun slinger/long range damage dealer. With this in mind as the assumption, is there anyone else apart from Boba Fett in the OT that can do that for the Imperials?

 

That certainly wouldn't be surprising.  He is a natural counterpart to Han.  I'm not sure I could picture him ordering Stormtroopers around, though.

I wonder if you will see single model special forces units.  I had assumed Chewie would be something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kojib said:

So in terms of the commander unit, I wouldn’t be surprised at a Boba Fett, purely for the reasons that:

Luke and Vader, in some ways counter eachother. Their command hands have a similar 2 attack. They a balanced give/remove suppression. They are both heavy hitters mainly looking for Melee.

Leia and Veers do the same but in a support fashion. Their card abilities bring the core trooper units into the lime light, in opposite ways. Dishing aim/dodge. Building on precise/nimble. Their command hands also mirror eachother.

so the question here is, is that a theme between commanders to keep the balance? In which case, will the Imperial answer to Han Solo be a similar gun slinger/long range damage dealer. With this in mind as the assumption, is there anyone else apart from Boba Fett in the OT that can do that for the Imperials?

 

While I don't really want to see Boba in the empire, you are correct. FFG has used Boba as the imperial counterpart to Han before and that is the biggest reason I won't be surprised if we get a Boba announcement soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would much prefer Boba Fett in a fringe faction as he'd be a better commander there and could have some good counters to Luke and Vader, but having him commanding the Imps, especially speeder bikes and AT-STs.... that would break the immersion a bit for me. 

But if there was only going to be Rebels vs Empire, I wouldn't mind him being Imperial. He would definitely need to be a special forces unit if so.

Little off topic, but I really hope we see more named / unique characters as special forces rather than them being commanders. Since they'd be super strong, I'd be fine with their point costs being closer to commander values. If they don't thematically command or lead anything, then to me, they shouldn't end up as commanders. I think putting them as a high cost, single mini, special force unit that has a good weapon with a thematic supporting ability would be awesome. That way a list isnt spammed with them, but could be a good alternative to two commanders and having to choose which command cards to use...

Fewer commanders with more general overarching abilities and then unique special forces units with more specific abilities would fit the game and the thematics of it as well. 

For example, Chewbacca would be great for the first unique SF: weakness is that he is slower, but has good HP / suppression since Wookies can take a punch, bowcaster that deals a good amount of damage, and then he could have an engineering ability to restore health on friendly vehicles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kojib said:

@Alino @Jman444 @NukeMaster @Orkimedes If not Boba then, who is a solely Imperial character that could serve a similar purpose as Han? Cause I’m stumped.

I have no clue, Agent Kallus from Rebels has been mentioned a lot and would fit since he does do a lot of combat, but it'll probably end up being Boba Fett since its OT and a direct counter to Han. I would love to see Boba in the game, I just dont think he's commander quality...

But you have a good point, there really isnt many more "commander" characters straight out of the movies to pull from. Even though I dont want to see it, Im gonna say that Boba is the next one with scout troopers. Would rather see Krennic with death troopers or the Emperor with royal guards.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kojib said:

If not Boba then, who is a solely Imperial character that could serve a similar purpose as Han? Cause I’m stumped.

Depends on what you consider to be Han's purpose ;) For now, it looks like he's a midrange commander, focusing on dealing damage and handing out suppression, and otherwise providing little to no support to the rest of the army.

While Boba seems like a natural counterpart, he doesn't quite fit Han's theme. As for purpose, Agent Kallus fit nicely, and Krennic could fill the same role to some extent (and he could depend on Guardian units for defense, the same way Han relies on cover).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am indifferent about whether I'd like to see named characters appear as Special Forces or not.

As Special Forces it would provide greater scope to include multiple named individuals in a single list - and if it was an option more prevalent for the Rebels than Empire, it would help keep faction identity different (the brave few against the faceless masses). But perhaps that can be accomplished via alternate game modes (or perhaps something that should remain the domain of IA). 

Conversely, I would not mind if characters that weren't officially commander-rank are made so in Legion - since, at this practically skirmish level scale, you can think of them as not formal commanders but rather being inspiring individuals - influencing the nearby troops by their actions; leading by example; "cometh the moment, cometh the big hairy alien". 

Of course, one final option is that they become special squad-leader upgrades - such that Wookies could be a (SF) unit type, and Chewie could be an upgrade that replaces the squad leader in one unit. 

- - - - - 

PS - a draw-back to having them as Commanders in a competitive setting is, if they don't offer the same effectiveness/value as the 'best' choice(s), that they'll rarely be fielded. 

Edited by ABXY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kojib said:

If not Boba then, who is a solely Imperial character that could serve a similar purpose as Han? Cause I’m stumped.

Like I said before, my money is on Kayn Somos. Not in the movies (like the AT-RT) but from the right time period.
Plus he also was an early release for Imperial Assault aswell.

Edited by BielTanLord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess Iden Versio would be a pretty fitting equivalent to Han. Shooting twice, having a low profile and being a sharpshooter all pretty much fit her character.

Plus she is special forces which would fit her being released with the imperial SpecOps unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shanturin said:

While Boba seems like a natural counterpart, he doesn't quite fit Han's theme. As for purpose, Agent Kallus fit nicely, and Krennic could fill the same role to some extent (and he could depend on Guardian units for defense, the same way Han relies on cover).

In my opinion Boba fits better than Kallus. Han and Boba use both dirty tactics and both have the abilities for hit and run. Kallus is more like a strong but direct fighter and I think we will see him in waves with a "Rebels" focus as the counterpart to Zeb.

3 hours ago, Bdolfos said:

I guess Iden Versio would be a pretty fitting equivalent to Han.

This I find more realistic and yes she will fit the role as a special ops commander like Han.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would it have to be a mirror?
The empire and the rebels are different entities. The empire is "lawful evil", the order and bad guys, they have the firepower and authority, they aren't supposed to go subtle.
The rebels are "chaotic good", doing what has to be done with what they have to get rid of the bad guys. They have to be more subtle.

No need to have a mirror with the empire getting "infiltrators".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Deuzerre said:

Why would it have to be a mirror?

Because of balancing. Up to date we have mirroring or counterparts in the whole game with slightly differences between the factions.

light walker and heavy speeder against heavy walker and light speeder

troops with bad armor but good weapons with cover ability against troops with good armor but bad weapons and aim ability

close combat troops to hold positions against close combat troops which slowly march over the field and capture positions

a mighty force user hero who help to rally troops against a mighty force user hero who suppress enemies

a cheap support hero with a light bombardment  at 4 enemies and cover buff  against a cheap support hero with one heavy bombardment at 1 enemy and aim buff.

It's seems clear for me, that the next empire units will be an equal counterpart to the commandos at least to get a option for the special slot of the list. The rebels have again bad armor but a good weapon and they become a sniper rifle, a precise weapon with high range and slow shot rate. So I think the empire will become something like a mg and again good armor bad standard weapon.

30 minutes ago, Deuzerre said:


No need to have a mirror with the empire getting "infiltrators". 

But the empire has very good options for infiltrators (Scouts, ISB, search droids) and every military force requires scouts and pioneers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TobiWan said:

Because of balancing. Up to date we have mirroring or counterparts in the whole game with slightly differences between the factions.

[...]

But the empire has very good options for infiltrators (Scouts, ISB, search droids) and every military force requires scouts and pioneers.

Not really for balancing. Look at the Rebel commandos: The imperial counterpart could easily be an E-Web "laser HMG" team: A heavy firepower unit that the rebels will never get an equivalent. While the rebels are about sabotaging, the empire would be about enforcing its strengths.

Now, sure, every army has a need for those units, but it's very cinematic-centered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Deuzerre said:

Not really for balancing. Look at the Rebel commandos: The imperial counterpart could easily be an E-Web "laser HMG" team:

 

12 minutes ago, TobiWan said:

So I think the empire will become something like a mg

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What point value range do you think the imperial commander will be at?

So far the rebels have 90, 120, 160. If Han were 5 points more he would be exactly half way between Luke and Leia, but for all intents and purposes he is half way.

So do you think the imperial commander will be half way between Veers and Vader at 140, or closer to Han at 120. 

Personally I would like to see what the empire gets around 140 to 160 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, NukeMaster said:

What point value range do you think the imperial commander will be at?

So far the rebels have 90, 120, 160. If Han were 5 points more he would be exactly half way between Luke and Leia, but for all intents and purposes he is half way.

So do you think the imperial commander will be half way between Veers and Vader at 140, or closer to Han at 120. 

Personally I would like to see what the empire gets around 140 to 160 points.

I think points values of all the upcoming commanders will just depend on what "kind" of commander it is.

Vader will probably be the most expensive the Empire will get since he has force powers, lightsaber, good HP and doesnt get suppressed. So force users/Jedi/Sith will probably be the most expensive. Officers / characters who are more tactical will probably be the cheapest and then there's a good middle ground for a strong, combat oriented character that may still have some tactical abilities.

So since we have quite cheap and super expensive for the Empire- Im betting that yes, the next Imperial commander will be in 140-160 points range to keep balance.

Even if we dont get him right away, I think Kallus would work great in this middle-ground space, he's both a good leader tactically and good in combat. I think once more "best of both worlds" commanders come out, those will be highly played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Boba Fett as a commander is a terrible idea and just wouldn't work thematically. He is a mercenary, the empire would not put a merc in command of an army, nor does he have any training/skills in that regard (to my knowledge anyway).

Boba works alone, so he is perfectly suited to a single mini special forces unit. Maybe a merc pack will be released at some point that has characters like this that can be included in armies, but certainly not commanding them.

Edited by Ghost Dancer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ghost Dancer said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Boba Fett as a commander is a terrible idea and just wouldn't work thematically. He is a mercenary, the empire would not put a merc in command of an army, nor does he have any training/skills in that regard (to my knowledge anyway).

Boba works alone, so he is perfectly suited to a single mini special forces unit. Maybe a merc pack will be released at some point that has characters like this that can be included in armies, but certainly not commanding them.

If they do put him in as a commander, I can see them making command cards that only benefit him. He would be a "commander" who very much acts alone. To make a great game you may have to sacrifice on some thematic elements. That being said, I'd still like to see him as a special unit or a commander in a scum faction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...