AintNoPoser

Vader a Core Commander?

Even though he is 200+ points, and with Veers being released soon and more commanders to come, do you still think he will be in every list due to his pierce, pierce immunity, master of the force, impact and relentless? Also, his infinite suppression adds to him, which you can use for your stormies if you keep them within range 3.  

In a perfect world, every commander will be balanced. We'll have to see how things turn out. So far he seems balanced to me. If there does eventually become an an imbalance, I hope it's the famous characters who are more over powered. In Armada some of the famous characters (for example Vader) who were in the starter set got pushed aside for more obscure characters who were better. Luckily FFG can usually change the meta with new releases.

Edited by JBar

He's a breast, to be sure, but he's slow enough and focused to the point where some will choose not to spend a third of their points in one place. Or maybe they'll want to spend a third of their points on an AT-ST, instead. Some madmen may do both.

He's a powerhouse commander, his gimick is he pulls his own weight just as much as he buffs his troops, if not more.
Veers and probably most commanders would focus more on commanding the units rather than charging forward themselves. I suspect eventually we'd get another commander as Vader priced that isnt palp, but whoever it is (Tarkin?) wouldnt be that expensive because of his/her offense like Vader is.

If any Imperial Commander becomes more powerful than Vader it should be Palpatine.

Vader will probably stick around for a long time due to his inclusion in the core set and the sheer badassery he brings to the table.

1 hour ago, kaffis said:

He's a breast, to be sure, but he's slow enough and focused to the point where some will choose not to spend a third of their points in one place. Or maybe they'll want to spend a third of their points on an AT-ST, instead. Some madmen may do both.

A breast? *giggity*

5 minutes ago, Indy_com said:

If any Imperial Commander becomes more powerful than Vader it should be Palpatine.

Vader will probably stick around for a long time due to his inclusion in the core set and the sheer badassery he brings to the table.

Individual strength yes, but impact on the army no.

Pretty sure Thrawn would buff his army enough to be a 200pt commander, but he himself wouldnt be doing jack damage-wise

4 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Individual strength yes, but impact on the army no.

Pretty sure Thrawn would buff his army enough to be a 200pt commander, but he himself wouldnt be doing jack damage-wise

Vader is 200+ points of both personal and army buffs.

Thrawn would be 200+ points worth of strategic army buffs but weak as all h*ll.

Ol' Palpy would be 200+ points of "I do what I want."

Edited by Indy_com

He'd be no Vader, but I'm sure he'd be as good a Leia in a (literal) punch up. And I think he uses an EC-17 in Rebels?

But no, his value I'm sure would be tactical. While he could fight okay, Thrawn would probably have squirrelly action abilities, command cards and a very high Courage value. Possibly even unlimited.

If Imperials get another commander who can walk through an open field facing like 3 rebel units and come out on top it won't be for a long time. Grand Inquisitor might come close. 

Been thinking about this and while vader is really good having a - against suppression has it' downsides too.

Units not getting suppression means that they don't get cover from it which has actually saved units for my rebels before

think he meant specifically Vader

Vader himself does not get suppressed, hes a fearless wrecking ball after all. Units around him get suppressed but dont panic and flee (they still duck for cover but arent sca- er dumb enough to run away when Vader can see them)

Vader's awesome but if I take Veers I can take a couple more units of Stormtroopers.  Of course, at Panic 4, I might easily lose a couple more units of Stormtroopers.  There are definitely pros and cons to both.

If I were a gambling man I would bet Vader gets sidelined in competitive list before the end of the year. 

If anything saves him it will be because this is an objective based game and he seems to be really strong at camping a location.

Vader is a monster on the field and I cant see Imperials ever getting a character that is more powerful when it comes to actual fighting.

But as a commander there can certainly be better choices, im positive we will see vader used less then other commanders when we start seeing 3-4 different options. He is so expensive for what is a rather one dimensioned strategy of running down the frontline with his troops (preferably snowtroopers) to give them a moral boost while trying to get as many saberthrows off as possible.

Im not invested in the expanded universe or deep in the fluff of Star Wars but I never saw Vader as a good commander. One of the most powerful individuals in the galaxy for sure and someone who is best when dealing with things himself, hands on, but when it comes to commanding and ordering armies and fleets, he was simply ill suited for the task.

Vader is smart, I'd wager...not brilliant...he *is* out-thinkable.  What makes him a good commander is the...err...motivation...he "inspires" in his troops.  (If you fail, you might be slain) and that he himself has no time for fear or self-doubt.

most of Vader's greater schemes that tripped people up were actually palp's idea.
He's just a wrecking ball with magic powers and a badass voice. While not dumb, not exactly brilliant either.

So yeah competitively i could see him being used as an objective camper since if you cant long-range focus fire him, he doesnt go down easily and if he can melee you...byebye!

I think a good idea for Thrawn (off the top of my head) would be to make all his command cards 1 priority, with similar wording to Han’s revealed card (counts as X pips when building hand of command cards).  

That or an action to retrieve a used command card.  

Or an ability that he always issues an order to one additional unit.  

Come to think of it, there are A LOT of different ways Thrawn could work.

Edited by FatherTurin

3 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

think he meant specifically Vader

Vader himself does not get suppressed, hes a fearless wrecking ball after all. Units around him get suppressed but dont panic and flee (they still duck for cover but arent sca- er dumb enough to run away when Vader can see them)

Vader should still get a suppression token from a range attack but not become panicked if I read the supression and panic rules right.  

Just now, AintNoPoser said:

Vader should still get a suppression token from a range attack but not become panicked if I read the supression and panic rules right.  

No, read the Courage rules. It says at the end "A trooper with no courage value cannot be assigned suppression tokens..."

So in context, Vader has no courage. Pansy....

13 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

No, read the Courage rules. It says at the end "A trooper with no courage value cannot be assigned suppression tokens..."

So in context, Vader has no courage. Pansy....

But it also says that a line, "--", is infinite courage.

I’d actually feel quite confident that Vader fills a niche for a while. Some people will want to have a juggernaut and as many units as they can fit, and Vader fills the commander slot so you can fit 2 more Stormtrooper squads than, say, Veers + an AT-ST would allow.

Some people just like having a juggernaut of a commander, period. It means they can be aggressive with them (and having your commander on the front lines makes for convenient order issuing) without losing them quickly. In a game where you can only play your commander specific cards while they're alive, that's not nothing.