FTS Gecko

Look, I'm not saying the European X-Wing community is better than the US X-Wing community... but...

3 hours ago, Dreadai said:

So like ... it seems like a self fulfilling prophesy ... Fuel is cheap, so I will drive places rather than use transit as it is more comfortable  ... so noone uses transit, so no invests in it, and because voters drive everywhere, politicians keep the rates on fuel low, so fuel is cheap ...

Interesting to note that the dollar cost of an x-wing ship is (give or take) the same as the sterling cost ... so there is (currently) approximately a 20-40% mark up on buying models in the UK over the US.  Sadly Brexit will likely increase the disparity further over time.

But most of America's cities were developed around the car and cheap gas. Most US cities are huge in terms of area. I live in the OKC metro area and land wise it is in the top 5 largest US cities by area, population wise it is maybe top 50, and the metro keeps moving further out. My longest commute has been 25 miles to work and I work(ed) with people that have 50+ mile commutes. Our public transportation is horrible and that 25 mile commute would be 2+ hours and numerous bus exchanges. I love the idea of a city you can walk to places and good public transportation, but in my area it would take decades and billions of dollars to achieve, and the desire of most is not there.

12 hours ago, Dreadai said:

Isn't it true that the US Govt subsidizes the cost of fuel for cars? Last time I visited the states, I was shocked by how cheap fuel is compared to the UK - the Govt here taxes the **** out of it ... something like 80% of the cost at pump is tax and tariff.

I'd like to say we use the money to improve our public transit and roads ... but that seems not to be the case now as public transit is now privately run.

The US taxes gas just like everyone else.  Now the DO subsidize some vehicle for whatever reason.  Electric cars for example get a hefty price reduction to benefit to buy them which often helps the wealthy because they are the ones who'd buy them to being with especially with gas at the prices it currently is.

A funny thing is the government has done away with higher mileage requirements of course when gas is cheap people care a lot less about milage anyway.  The downfall of higher fuel efficiency is less gas tax collected and it seems no one wants to touch the gas tax.  Interestingly enough if US fuel prices rise (higher taxes is one way especially in the face of an oil glut) then more people would actually start paying attention to fuel economy and demand higher mileage to begin with; that then can start the cycle of less fuel purchased which produces less tax revenue which would mean needing to raise the tax again to keep revenue where it had been.

12 hours ago, Dreadai said:

So like ... it seems like a self fulfilling prophesy ... Fuel is cheap, so I will drive places rather than use transit as it is more comfortable  ... so noone uses transit, so no invests in it, and because voters drive everywhere, politicians keep the rates on fuel low, so fuel is cheap ...

It is also an artifact of the Eisenhower administration, which elected to fund the interstate roadway system  (thus encouraging auto, rather than, say, rail travel).

11 hours ago, __underscore__ said:

(I'm not sure how this works online though).

If you and the online company are both in the same state, sales tax is collected as usual.   Across state lines, there is a honor system to pay sales tax that no one uses.

21 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

It is also an artifact of the Eisenhower administration, which elected to fund the interstate roadway system  (thus encouraging auto, rather than, say, rail travel).

I’d hate to see when a federally mandated high speed Interstate Railway System would have been completed.  If ever.  States are also increasingly turning to toll lanes to finish or expand their interstate highways.  Yay.

1 hour ago, All Shields Forward said:

America has freedom of the press so you just hear about our crappy people more.

Are you kidding?  We celebrate the worst of us!  We even elect them to the highest offices!  I’m surprised the Kardashians haven’t run for Congress yet.