Jump to content
FTS Gecko

Look, I'm not saying the European X-Wing community is better than the US X-Wing community... but...

Recommended Posts

I mean, really, you can just say "Is *blank* worse than here?" Because every area has it's bad people/experiences, but those who have lived there have grown used to it or hearing about it. 

Last Regional I went to in the glorious U.S all the people were super nice and it was a fun time, there was only one rules dispute but it was shut down quickly.

It's all perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lightrock said:

Oh? IIRC top4 was Dash/Miranda, Ghost/Fenn, Howard Aces and something else (maybe a Nym list?). Howard Aces won, so... not too bad I guess?

http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=4211

 

Winner was a Nym/Sol Sixta, 6 of the top 8 lists were Nym with a Ghost/Fenn and a RAClo/Quickdraw. 2 Deathfires in the top 16 somehow though with harpoons and bombs and extra munitions which feels optimistic for a bomber but clearly at least worked in swiss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mdl0114 said:

http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=4211

 

Winner was a Nym/Sol Sixta, 6 of the top 8 lists were Nym with a Ghost/Fenn and a RAClo/Quickdraw. 2 Deathfires in the top 16 somehow though with harpoons and bombs and extra munitions which feels optimistic for a bomber but clearly at least worked in swiss.

Oh. Those are some regional results. I spoke about SoS and the atmosphere there. As for meta, it didn't seem too toxic either. Nice variety in the top, I'd say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah ok, figured from the post timing it'd be the event that had just happened in Poland this weekend, rather than the event a month ago. Misunderstood, also even more awesome that the system open was in a brewery. I could see that for a regional, for a System Open that's more awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Warlon said:

I mean, really, you can just say "Is *blank* worse than here?" Because every area has it's bad people/experiences, but those who have lived there have grown used to it or hearing about it.

Yeah, as per the subject line, it's not really about being better/worse, but about perception of the two communities.

Two System Opens this weekend.  the UK event came out with the headlines "biggest event of all time, interesting winning list, a lot of fun for everyone", the US event came out with the headlines "players give up playing mirror match in the final, more meta criticisms and complaints".  Just a cursory read through of the coverage of both events and one community immediately comes across as being positive and the other jaded and cynical. 

Good to hear you had fun at your Regional, and that people there had fun though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Fuzzywookie said:

All of this doesn’t matter. In 5 years Mexico will take over the world. Then we’ll all be speaking Spanish and our currency will be pesos. Se habla espaniol. I’m already practicing my Spanish. 

But, The Wall (TM)???!!! :blink:

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

Seriously though, I'm confused how the communities East and West of the Atlantic can appear so different.  

Why is there apparently such a big difference?  

This, mostly:

1 hour ago, hawk32 said:

Image result for i can't hear you over my freedom

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, if the finals at UK had been a Miranda mirror and the finals at Chicago been Imp aces vs Rey/Low the talking points for each event would have been very different. Then again that Polish regional was a Nymgasm of epic proportions and so far hasn't been talked about or picked apart as much. On the other, other hand it's not every day at the top level of a large tournament you see two people mutually agree that they've stopped having fun and have no chance of finishing the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

Touché.  And here in the UK we have apparently decided to cut ourselves off from our closest neighbours, friends and allies and revert our tiny little Atlantic island back to it's Dark Ages isolation.

Seriously though, I'm confused how the communities East and West of the Atlantic can appear so different.  After a big European event, the atmosphere usually seems happy and joyful - everyone has fun.  Conversely, all of the big X-Wing organised play controversies and dramas - the intentional draw fiasco, last week's live stream drama and this weekend's System Open final - have all originated in the US, and the feedback and coverage of events on the forum, podcasts etc is quite cynical.

Why is there apparently such a big difference?  It can't be so difficult to enjoy a game of plastic pew-pew, surely?

Y'know, it's like there's oceans between us. Or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, mdl0114 said:

Then again that Polish regional was a Nymgasm of epic proportions and so far hasn't been talked about or picked apart as much.

Well, we don't have any problem with this :) All of 93 attendants enjoyed the tournament, nobody complains about the Meta. This kind of things happens. Other Polish Regio 2 weeks ago has been won by QD/Blackout/Deathfire and it has 2 Whisper lists in tops. 

Biggest discussion after the tournament is that in 5th round, two 4:0 players didn't wanted to fight each other and they were willing to roll final Salvo immediately, but TO said it is not allowed, and they were forced to sit at the table and put dials every 5 min to make bump move :D Separate Judge watched them for 75 minutes :D

And guess what, we still love this TO ;) He might be wrong, but he has guts ;)

Edited by Oldpara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha intentionally wanting to final salvo and being forced to play anyways, that sounds similar! That's good that people are having fun, I'd rather do anything else than play 3 straight rounds against Nymranda and Nym/Sol so props to the top players who did that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kieransi said:

And... that's why I stopped playing Destiny. It's a silly little beer-and-pretzels game with multi-colored dice too big for a toddler to choke on, and yet it costs twice as much money as any other FFG Star Wars game and is completely dominated by psychotically competitive trolls. 

What's also super weird is that despite the Destiny trolls here, for other games, Colorado is a pretty wholesome place. 

I bet you dollars to doughnuts that that guy migrated over from MTG

anigif_enhanced-buzz-24252-1331327230-31

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might not work pre-cut because of MoV, but during eliminations you could have a gentlemen's agreement, just roll the dice and have the loser of the roll concede right there to save you both some time.

A ****, power-tripping TO might see you getting around his little "you must place dials every 5 minutes" line and get you both for collusion, but nothing can be done about a bad TO mid-tournament.

Edited by kris40k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple points:

1. Who cares what country the game is played in? Its the same game. The same awesome people. Its fun to joke about little rivalires but were all space ship nerds here. Pew Pew Pew.

2. X-Wing Players as a general rule are cool. Everywhere. 

3. Its possible to have an open mind about the competitive game....and to be bluntly critical of poor game design. We owe FFG nothing. The experience of playing X-Wing is currently dominated by Archetypes that barely involve the player using them and remove entire layers of decision making and risk. 

4. What makes up the largest % of cut is primarily what matters. It is interesting but largely irrelevant what wins or what random stuff makes it further than expected.

5. X-Wing is a game molded by Ultra Defensive AOE. Its to easy, boring, and not enough fun.

 

Edited by Boom Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kris40k said:

Might not work pre-cut because of MoV, but during eliminations you could have a gentlemen's agreement, just roll the dice and have the loser of the roll concede right there to save you both some time.

A ****, power-tripping TO might see you getting around his little "you must place dials every 5 minutes" line and get you both for collusion, but nothing can be done about a bad TO mid-tournament.

I agree. Final Salvo is the best way to loose because you get most MoV (I think it's 100). While already having 4:0 with good MoV, knowing that matchup is dangerous and loosing 0:100 might knock you out of the cut, taking intentional Final Salvo might be considered as unsportsmanlike result manipulation, strictly forbidden in the rules. So I understand TO. 

After the cut Final Salvo doesn't affect anybody except 2 players so it should be allowed. 

Edited by Oldpara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As to event size, I'd guess some of it is geography: it's a lot easier to get around in Europe, and the population density is a lot higher.  When folks are more spread out, it's harder to get a large number of them to gather for one event.  Likewise, I'd guess that the average European player is closer to more major events (regionals, system opens) than the average American player.

I can't speak to differences in the listbuilding.  Maybe if folks only have one shot, they're less likely to take risks in listbuilding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mdl0114 said:

Haha intentionally wanting to final salvo and being forced to play anyways, that sounds similar! That's good that people are having fun, I'd rather do anything else than play 3 straight rounds against Nymranda and Nym/Sol so props to the top players who did that.

Man! It was a blast beating 3x Nymranda in a row in top8/top4/final :)

Much less enjoyable was beating guy with Lambda and 5 TIEs during swiss, I assure you ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

As to event size, I'd guess some of it is geography: it's a lot easier to get around in Europe, and the population density is a lot higher.  When folks are more spread out, it's harder to get a large number of them to gather for one event.  Likewise, I'd guess that the average European player is closer to more major events (regionals, system opens) than the average American player.

I can't speak to differences in the listbuilding.  Maybe if folks only have one shot, they're less likely to take risks in listbuilding.

This is true. I attended 6 Regionals in 2 counteries this season: majority of them within 5h drive, closest one in my home city, farthest 2h flight. 

I was TO of one SoS (Krakow Poland)  and I am gonna attend 3 other SoS as a player (already been to Kopenhagen Denmark, next to go Bologna Italy and Paris France). 

Don't think any American has that luxury (except Dion Morales maybe, he's amazing ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Oldpara said:

Man! It was a blast beating 3x Nymranda in a row in top8/top4/final :)

Much less enjoyable was beating guy with Lambda and 5 TIEs during swiss, I assure you ;)

That is awesome, congrats to you for handling those lists and winning the entire event!

 

22 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

3. Its possible to have an open mind about the competitive game....and to be bluntly critical of poor game design. We owe FFG nothing. The experience of playing X-Wing is currently dominated by Archetypes that barely involve the player using them and remove entire layers of decision making and risk.

 

 

I agree, there's nothing wrong with wanting the game to change for the better and hoping FFG will notice problems and take steps to correct them. It's ok to admit when things are out of whack or above the curve and try to get them fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:
  • the European events are bigger with larger attendances from a greater cross-section of communities

 

UK population density is almost 8x that of the USA   (7.765x)
660 per square mile vs 85
Poland the other meta we hear about alot is 316 per

Source : https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_density

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...