FTS Gecko

Look, I'm not saying the European X-Wing community is better than the US X-Wing community... but...

• the European events are bigger with larger attendances from a greater cross-section of communities
  • the European players seem to be more respectful to the organisers, the hosts, FFG and each other
  • a greater variety of lists in European events seem to be successful - in Swiss, at the top tables, the cut and the finals
  • and European players actually seem to be enjoying themselves

Now, is this really an accurate picture, or just the impression caused by the vocal saltiness coming from the west side of the Atlantic?

I think maybe it's because DESPITE the attendance numbers and reach of the game in Europe, we still (albeit jokingly) refer to ourselves as "that tiny European meta".

Basically, even at the really high levels, we seem to have a bigger sense of "well, this is just tiny plastic spaceships isn't it". The occasional salty or super serious person gets drowned out by the people just there for the fun of it, even if they win the top prizes.

Just now, dotswarlock said:

On Hoth (Canada), we have Wampas to worry about.  No time for complaining...

Oh who am I kidding?  Complaining is a national sport here too.  We just complain about different stuff and say we're sorry afterwards :P

Sorry about that.

2 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

When ESB came out my sister thought taun tauns were real animals that lived ‘up north somewhere’.  Pretty sure she meant Canada.

Dude, are you telling me Tauntauns aren't real?  Next thing you'll tell me is Jawas don't live in the Middle East...

43 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

Two posts in and someone has to get political.

I mean, there are allegations on the Destiny forums and Reddit that some dude allegedly overheard threatened to come back with a gun after their regional because his friend only finished 17th despite beating players who made the cut.

I'm pretty sure that Europe doesn't have a version of that guy, but I could be wrong.

33 minutes ago, phild0 said:

My only question is...

Why compare?

Unite the world! Don't create segregation!

“There's only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.”

- Nigel Powers

Edited by kris40k

3 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

I mean, there are allegations on the Destiny forums and Reddit that some dude allegedly overheard threatened to come back with a gun after their regional because his friend only finished 17th despite beating players who made the cut.

I'm pretty sure that Europe doesn't have a version of that guy, but I could be wrong.

Is this for real or a sick joke?

2 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

And... that's why I stopped playing Destiny. It's a silly little beer-and-pretzels game with multi-colored dice too big for a toddler to choke on, and yet it costs twice as much money as any other FFG Star Wars game and is completely dominated by psychotically competitive trolls. 

What's also super weird is that despite the Destiny trolls here, for other games, Colorado is a pretty wholesome place. 

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

We have an Oompa Loompa for president and like shooting each other.  It's stressful over here. :(

Touché.  And here in the UK we have apparently decided to cut ourselves off from our closest neighbours, friends and allies and revert our tiny little Atlantic island back to it's Dark Ages isolation.

Seriously though, I'm confused how the communities East and West of the Atlantic can appear so different.  After a big European event, the atmosphere usually seems happy and joyful - everyone has fun.  Conversely, all of the big X-Wing organised play controversies and dramas - the intentional draw fiasco, last week's live stream drama and this weekend's System Open final - have all originated in the US, and the feedback and coverage of events on the forum, podcasts etc is quite cynical.

Why is there apparently such a big difference?  It can't be so difficult to enjoy a game of plastic pew-pew, surely?

Edited by FTS Gecko

12 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

Yes. Europe has that guy too. In today's metropolitan areas, exactly each has it's own various crazy, out-of-touch, sociopaths.

1 minute ago, Lightrock said:

Well, the polish SoS took place in an actual functioning brewery (and yes, they did serve their products throughout the event) and on day 2 some of the guys on stream were playing half-naked. So, there's that...

And there were like 12 Nyms in the top 8, sooo ;)