Sign in to follow this  
Payens

MDH-19 nerf needed... more complaining than anything

So I have played against the MDH-19 droid as the imperial now basically in every campaign  since Hoth.  Why? because he is such a good support player in the healing that he brings, doing interactions so the other players can focus on wiping out the empire troops or whatever they need to do etc.  

In all the campaigns that I have played against him I am typically on the loosing side of almost every mission, and he NEEDS to be nerfed.

Okay complaining over. 

But I do think there needs to be a nerf with him in 1 apsect.  His Bacta Radiator. The way the card is written makes it too powerful as it effects him as well.  Which makes no sense, he is a droid and medical cards do not work with him but the bacta radiator does?  Bacta works on organics not droids.  He basically gets to use his ability every round for free once he gets that. 

I realize that there is some other aspects that balance this out a bit. And this is more of a rant as I have been loosing.  But I still feel that card should be errtra to be "all other friendly figures" or "all other heros" or if they can add the medical title to the card so that it does not apply to himself.   

6 hours ago, Payens said:

So I have played against the MDH-19 droid as the imperial now basically in every campaign  since Hoth.  Why? because he is such a good support player in the healing that he brings, doing interactions so the other players can focus on wiping out the empire troops or whatever they need to do etc.  

Gideon would like a word with you on that...

On another note: it'd be more helpful to give tips/advice/strategy/whatnot if you could share some details, like

which Imperial class deck did you use?

(if you remember) which mission did you win/lose?

who are the other 3 Rebel heroes, and what build (attacker/support/tank...)/class cards did each of them bought?

I'm using MHD in HotE for the first time. My impression is that he's pretty useless or anyway mediocre. Our rebel player wants to have him as a pure healer and that basically makes the game 1vs3 with a downside, you'll need to buy equip for him. The bacta radiator is just an ok skill. This isn't WoW, it's not tank/DPS/healer type of game, this game is for all-rounders that mainly rush objectives. You don't care about damage, and most of the time because you don't need to escape from the map the only thing you really care is to keep one hero healthy. I prefer to have an extra cannon that can do kills and prevent future damage rather than someone with the purpose of patching mistakes.

My idea indeed was to set him up with a short range or melee weapon, maybe handcannon early game or a stun baton and improper procedure. This way he could easily get kills and also apply a lot of conditions while still being able to provide healing with bacta radiator or eventually drawing a medical card when strictly needed.

On 3/26/2018 at 8:58 AM, Golan Trevize said:

I'm using MHD in HotE for the first time. My impression is that he's pretty useless or anyway mediocre. Our rebel player wants to have him as a pure healer and that basically makes the game 1vs3 with a downside, you'll need to buy equip for him. The bacta radiator is just an ok skill. This isn't WoW, it's not tank/DPS/healer type of game, this game is for all-rounders that mainly rush objectives. You don't care about damage, and most of the time because you don't need to escape from the map the only thing you really care is to keep one hero healthy. I prefer to have an extra cannon that can do kills and prevent future damage rather than someone with the purpose of patching mistakes.

You probably haven't used him in Hoth, a campaign where you don't need to rush objectives. Killing everything on the map with 3 characters and healing them all the time is a very valid strategy there.

On ‎26‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 8:58 AM, Golan Trevize said:

I'm using MHD in HotE for the first time. My impression is that he's pretty useless or anyway mediocre.

This is my impression, also. I've Imp'ed 2/3s of Hoth + a coulpe of extra missions to bulk up the campaign, and while I went into this expecting MHD to be an absolute nightmare, he really hasn't done much to write home about. MHD spot-heals here and there, but nothing I can't handle, and he has brought squishy lill Loku back from being wounded twice, only for Loku to get wounded again with the very next Imperial activaion. In my experience, MHD is fine - he's something different for sure - but he doesn't break the game at all.

I must haste to add that I'm in no way a very good player and I keep making stupid mistakes every now and then. It should be noted, however, that I've enjoyed some strong (i.e. consistently good) dice rolling in RtH and that Armored Onslaught's Mortar is ridiculously good. It is possible I would've struggled a lot more with MHD had it not been for my Mortar attacks delivering consistent splash damage to the pesky rebs.

As for Return to Hoth not requiring objectives rushing, well... then we must be playing different versions of the campaign. @Eddie :) (Return to Echo Base & Rescue Mission comes to mind, as do Leia's Ally Pack mission, Communications Breakdown)

Edited by angelman2

Wait a sec... "...back from being wounded"? once a hero card flips to wounded, there's no coming back from wounded (barring any mission specific rules like Hoth finale). Or did I read that wrong and you were saying MHD saved Loku from almost being wounded a few times - i.e. low health)

In regards to MHD, my MHD player knows his s***, he was a real tanky and effective healer, that most times I had to ignore (he became a godd*mn bullet sponge by late game! Him and Gaarkhan made Hoth a real slog! :lol:).

Miracle Worker allows to prevent another hero from being defeated. Other than that:

One mission in RtH has mission rules to make a wounded hero healthy.

In Return to Hoth there are quite a few missions where the time pressure is on the imperial player. MHD-19 being able to stall and at the same time give focused to another hero works well there. The damage boost from focused in the early missions can create a considerable snowball effect. And with the stalling the imperial figures need to come close to the rebels just to be shot down, giving the rebels an activation advantage causing the imperial side to lose even more figures.

The smallest nerf: lose the "friendly" from Bacta Radiator.

Edited by a1bert

17 minutes ago, 54NCH32 said:

Wait a sec... "...back from being wounded"? once a hero card flips to wounded, there's no coming back from wounded (barring any mission specific rules like Hoth finale). Or did I read that wrong and you were saying MHD saved Loku from almost being wounded a few times - i.e. low health)

The MHD class card is called Miracle Worker: "Deplete this card when another hero within 4 spaces suffer DMG equal to his Health. Instead of being defeated, that hero recovers 3 DMG"

Edit: a1bert beat me to it :)

Edited by angelman2

1 minute ago, angelman2 said:

The MHD class card is called Miracle Worker: "Deplete this card when another hero within 4 spaces suffer DMG equal to his Health. Instead of being defeated, that hero recovers 3 DMG"

Doh! My bad.  My player went a different XP route, and I forgot about that skill, Apologies! :)

1 hour ago, angelman2 said:

As for Return to Hoth not requiring objectives rushing, well... then we must be playing different versions of the campaign. @Eddie :) (Return to Echo Base & Rescue Mission comes to mind, as do Leia's Ally Pack mission, Communications Breakdown)

I think we played only one mission with a real round limit, and one with an artificial one (thread increasing each round). So no need to rush.

I wouldn't say MHD-19 is broken, but he's very, very good. Miracle Worker has screwed me (the Imperial player) over a number of times in our campaign: it's immensely disheartening to go from being about to wound a Hero, to that not actually happening - and a rest/heal later that Hero is at full health. It means I often have to effectively wound five Heroes to win, not just four... making the entire mission 25% harder for me!

Bacta Radiator is also a PITA in any mission where the Heroes can stay together, and with various skills from other Heroes (in our current campaign, Fenn Signis) being used to grant MHD-19 extra movement to keep up, he's just as mobile as the rest - meaning I simply don't recognise the "effectively trying to win with only three Heroes" suggestion. Indeed, if in one round he moves and heals, the next round he's Focused and with a decent gun can put out big amounts of damage.

Maybe it depends which other Heroes are in the group, as to how well he synergizes with them. I find him very problematic to deal with.

50 minutes ago, Bitterman said:

Indeed, if in one round he moves and heals, the next round he's Focused and with a decent gun can put out big amounts of damage.

Yes, his focus was almost constant, which meant when he did have to attack, it hurt (plus my player was carrying the pistol with 3 attacks on it - the DDC Defender), so it often went, BIG HIT > then surges for days (which often meant more health / strain giveaways for the others). Nightmare! haha

6 hours ago, a1bert said:

The smallest nerf: lose the "friendly" from Bacta Radiator.

Not that small. He's good because of improper procedure. You want him to go at melee range (unless Hoth campaign)

19 hours ago, 54NCH32 said:

Yes, his focus was almost constant, which meant when he did have to attack, it hurt (plus my player was carrying the pistol with 3 attacks on it - the DDC Defender), so it often went, BIG HIT > then surges for days (which often meant more health / strain giveaways for the others). Nightmare! haha

If MHD is attacking, then you're doing it wrong, or you are in a very tough spot. I think my MHD player has attacked one time if 5 or 6 games.

Edited by Eddie

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

If MHD is attacking, then you're doing it wrong, or you are in a very tough spot. I think my MHD player has attacked one time if 5 or 6 games.

Actually, I found he played him VERY effectively. (I was talking about my MHD player, not myself - I'm the IP) and I'm saying WHEN he attacked, which was actually quite seldom.

When he did decide to attack he could:
- Pull off 3 attacks, which was no laughing matter
- As mentioned, he was usually focused due to mostly healing etc, like a good Med-Bot
- He could use spare surges for decent healing/strain recovery stuff, which again lent itself to good healer play.

But then on the other hand, that player eventually couldn't make it to a few sessions and was NPC'd by another player (who was a lot more trigger happy! :lol: )

20 hours ago, Golan Trevize said:

Not that small. He's good because of improper procedure. You want him to go at melee range (unless Hoth campaign)

I would say Improper Procedure is either a finisher (defeating the figure) or a starter (weakened helps the other heroes attack white-die defenders) (edit:depending on the situation). If the figure is still on the map at the start of the next round, you didn't make the right choices and should be punished by the figure recovering 1 damage (non-heroes cannot recover strain).

Edited by a1bert

2 hours ago, a1bert said:

I would say Improper Procedure is either a finisher (defeating the figure) or a starter (weakened helps the other heroes attack white-die defenders). If the figure is still on the map at the start of the next round, you didn't make the right choices and should be punished by the figure recovering 1 damage (non-heroes cannot recover strain).

Actually you want it as a starter. In example I usually tend to activate MHD early in the round. Double Red die in early missions of campaign are good to take out the big bad guy just spawned before it activates.

Edited by Golan Trevize

IMO, sounds like Imperial player is playing suboptimally. If  you're concentrating your fire one one Rebel until theyre dead, Bacta Radiator should only be healing 1 damage per turn (+strain). 

MHD has been useless to mediocre every time I've seen him used, and he's always been hyper focused on healing. His healing just never seems to equal or exceed the damage that a normal hero would prevent by simply killing bad guys, and every bad guy that lives into the next turn because that 4th hero is healing instead of dealing damage means the Imps damage output keeps increasing each turn and overwhelms MHDs healing. It seems just better to me to remove the things that are dealing damage to you rather than spending resources to try to undo that damage. Then the imp player has to spend their resources replacing those figures rather than bring additional figures into play.