Jump to content
Pooleman

4 Resistance Bombers

Recommended Posts

I’m contemplating a 4 Resistance Bomber list and was curious if you guys think this has tournament potential. At 25 points each I can’t put any upgrades, titles, bombs, etc. but a turreted primary and 48 total health points seems pretty difficult to overcome. Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was a good idea. I could seriously restrict their movements with 4 large based ships blocking the road and 48 health points just seemed like a difficult hill to climb over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

4 Contracted Scouts just won a regional this past weekend, so the theory is sound.

There's no benefit to doing it with Resistance Bombs not Contracted Scouts, really.  Yes you've a bit more hull but 1 less green dice and no Barrel Roll repositioning.

I don’t have that many contracted scouts. I only have 1 ship. I already have 3 Resistance Bombers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

4 Contracted Scouts just won a regional this past weekend, so the theory is sound.

There's no benefit to doing it with Resistance Bombs not Contracted Scouts, really.  Yes you've a bit more hull but 1 less green dice and no Barrel Roll repositioning.

The scouts have 5 Hull and 4 shields. The RBs have 3 shields and 9 Hull. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stay On The Leader said:

And 1 less green dice, so they're similar survivability and don't have barrel roll.

Perhaps. But 4 Resistance Bombers would like SICK on the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

A guy at a tournament i went to did 4 bombers, and he did really well. but the lack of maneuverability was really bad. Having some bombs to cover your rear if they get behind you or bump your lead ship would be much better.

I’m gonna try three tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3x Crimson Squadron Pilot w/thermals, silo, and accuracy corrector for 99? 

...or, for some extra battlefield shaping,

2x CSP w/thermals, silo, accuracy corrector, and deflective plating

1x CSP w/cluster mines, silo, and minefield mapper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even without bombs I'd think 3 Crimson Squadron Specialists would be better than 4 just for the upgrades you can have, as you can be both defensive and offensive with them.

4 Crimson Squadron Specialists gives you 1 defense die each, a total list hitpoint value of 48, and nothing else.

3 Crimson Squadron Specialists give you 1 defense die each, a total list hitpoint value of 36, and with the points to put an Accuracy Corrector, Sensor Cluster, Crossfire Formation Title, and Tactical Jammer on each ship.

Now you get to add a focus result to each defensive roll provided you keep them within Range 1-2 of each other (which, if you're making a parking lot, you should be). You'll have a defensive focus (provided you get to take an action) and the only way you wont have the opportunity to spend that defensive focus is if you roll only natural evade results - and who would complain about that? Plus, with the Accuracy Corrector, all of your Range 2-3 attacks are a perfect 2 hits in your full 360 degrees of attacking. You also get the ability to leap-frog your ships to either force your opponent to spread their fire OR shoot through a Tactical Jammer blocked shot if they intend to focus fire on 1 ship at a time, either way this only helps you. Your action ever single round should be focus UNLESS you get Harpooned!, then perform the action to discard it and take the 50/50 chance the ship it is assigned to might suffer 1 damage.

Edited by ZealuxMyr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you wanted to go for 3x Bomber-launchers, this is a build which would work:

Trajectory Simulator, Seismic Charges, Ordnance Silos, Weapons Guidance, Deflective Plating - 33 points. (Actually, going 2x with Thermal/Silos, and 1x Bomblet Generator would fit, since the bid isn't useful, and Bomblets are actually the cheapest build... bah, those things are too cheap.)

You'll be able to launch a bunch of bombs, and Weapons Guidance, while not as good for offense as Accuracy Corrector, is still pretty solid on a 2-dice ship.  It never made sense on a TIE/FO, since they're only 4 HP single-arc, but on 12 HP turrets it starts to work out better.  It could also be either Crossfire Formation or Sensor Cluster (whichever seems best for defense).  Here, I think Crossfire, since you'll have a 2/8 chance to roll focus on the initial roll.  There are lots of options for getting a good way to spend a focus token.

Here's the thing I noticed about Crossfire Formation: the ships don't need to be at range of each other, but at range 1-2 of the attacker.  Both things will usually happen at the same time, but I'd missed that when I first read the card.

//

With comparison to Jumpmasters, the dial is worse on Bombers (stall is nice, but still), you lose Trick Shot, and you lose the barrel roll.  I think 12 HP on 1 green is better than 9 HP on 2 green, but by like less than 1 HP per ship.  If I'm going 4 ships, I'm going Jumps.  Going with 3, it'd become a flavor and style thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ZealuxMyr said:

Even without bombs I'd think 3 Crimson Squadron Specialists would be better than 4 just for the upgrades you can have, as you can be both defensive and offensive with them.

4 Crimson Squadron Specialists gives you 1 defense die each, a total list hitpoint value of 48, and nothing else.

3 Crimson Squadron Specialists give you 1 defense die each, a total list hitpoint value of 36,

Oh man, could you imagine if Crimson Specialist wasn't unique?!

Is there a drooling emoticon I can use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

If you wanted to go for 3x Bomber-launchers, this is a build which would work:

Trajectory Simulator, Seismic Charges, Ordnance Silos, Weapons Guidance, Deflective Plating - 33 points. (Actually, going 2x with Thermal/Silos, and 1x Bomblet Generator would fit, since the bid isn't useful, and Bomblets are actually the cheapest build... bah, those things are too cheap.)

You'll be able to launch a bunch of bombs, and Weapons Guidance, while not as good for offense as Accuracy Corrector, is still pretty solid on a 2-dice ship.  It never made sense on a TIE/FO, since they're only 4 HP single-arc, but on 12 HP turrets it starts to work out better.  It could also be either Crossfire Formation or Sensor Cluster (whichever seems best for defense).  Here, I think Crossfire, since you'll have a 2/8 chance to roll focus on the initial roll.  There are lots of options for getting a good way to spend a focus token.

Here's the thing I noticed about Crossfire Formation: the ships don't need to be at range of each other, but at range 1-2 of the attacker.  Both things will usually happen at the same time, but I'd missed that when I first read the card.

//

With comparison to Jumpmasters, the dial is worse on Bombers (stall is nice, but still), you lose Trick Shot, and you lose the barrel roll.  I think 12 HP on 1 green is better than 9 HP on 2 green, but by like less than 1 HP per ship.  If I'm going 4 ships, I'm going Jumps.  Going with 3, it'd become a flavor and style thing.

Triple Resitance (100)

 

"Crimson Specialist" — B/SF-17 Bomber 27
Trajectory Simulator 1
Bomblet Generator 3
Ship Total: 31
   
Crimson Squadron Pilot — B/SF-17 Bomber 25
Trajectory Simulator 1
Ordnance Silos 2
Thermal Detonators 3
Ship Total: 31
   
"Cobalt Leader" — B/SF-17 Bomber 28
Accuracy Corrector 3
Ordnance Silos 2
Proximity Mines 3
Pattern Analyzer 2
Ship Total: 38
So I ran this last night against 2 Tie/D with tractor beam and a tie bomber that was just the shuttle. Both Tie/Ds had Ruthlessness so a free damage was being being dealt to another of my ships after every attack, which amounted to 4 per round. I was still able to burn down the 2 Defenders at the cost of my PS 1 and PS 4 bomber and just had the bomber left with my cobalt leader. The opponent conceded. I was thinking of dropping Cobalt leader down to PS1 to free up some more points but I’m not sure. I liked this list but I don’t think it will do well against a Ghost Fenn list which I’m sure I will see at my Campaign against Cancer tournament on the 7th. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't judge a list's potential off of a single game.

That being said, I think the 3 bomber list has at least some merit. There is a definite surprise factor there, meaning it will throw a lot of people off their game. Especially those who only practise against meta lists. I think a really good player could go something like 4-2 with it, maybe even make the cut, at a regional level tournament.

The 4 bomber list, though, is crap. As has already been pointed out, it is strictly worse than 4 contracted scouts. And how many of those do you see making cuts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MrAndersson said:

I wouldn't judge a list's potential off of a single game.

That being said, I think the 3 bomber list has at least some merit. There is a definite surprise factor there, meaning it will throw a lot of people off their game. Especially those who only practise against meta lists. I think a really good player could go something like 4-2 with it, maybe even make the cut, at a regional level tournament.

The 4 bomber list, though, is crap. As has already been pointed out, it is strictly worse than 4 contracted scouts. And how many of those do you see making cuts?

So I flew 4 bombers today, using the 3 bombers I had and just an empty base for the fourth. It didn’t go well. It’s only potential is the landing 48 hits in the time allotted is very difficult, especially if I’m stalling. But I’m undefeated so far with the 3 bombers, and its pretty fun. I’m trying to choose between Rey/ Low, Wolf/Low/Liberator all with Expertise, or the 3 Bombers. 

Edited by Pooleman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×