KryatDragon

Is Legion WYSIWYG?

32 minutes ago, themightyhedgehog said:

What if I glue the flame thrower onto the rtst? But want to run another gun. Do I have to buy a whole other unit just to represent that? Or will the card showing I have that gun be enough. 

My guess is that the weapon configuration doesn't need to match your unit build in the squad you are running

On 23/03/2018 at 12:06 PM, Timathius said:

Yea I got a ball and socket magnet in there plenty easy on the atrt. 

Hopefully we will have he tournament guides today or tomorrow, so we can know before anybody goes to crazy with modding what they are. 

What size ball&socket, where did you get it and how does it look?

I weren't able to find anything smaller than an 8mm ball when googling it.

Here’s an interesting argument for Legion not being WYSIWYG aside from using the appropriate heavy weapon trooper:

Heavy Weapons Troopers can attack with the weapon that the unit normally has.  The Rebel Z-6 Trooper clearly has an A-280 strapped to his pack, ok cool.  However, the Ion trooper has an E-11.  Clear precedent for a model being equipped with (and firing) a weapon that is on the card but not the model.

*PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT*

As someone who spent way too much time googling WYSIWYG, I wanted to clarify what it is for us light miniature wargamers. 

It stands for "What you see is what you get" and is the concept of requiring a miniature to have a visual indicator of the weapon they're using, IE a stormtrooper using a DLT-19 upgrade must have that weapon on the model as a way for players to distinguish which model has which equipment. Or as noted above, it's the idea of magnetizing the weapons on the AT-ST or AT-RT so you always know what weapons it's accessing at any given time, without having to scrutinize your opponent's upgrades.

Hope this helps!

*YOU MAY RESUME YOUR USUAL FORUM ACTIVITY*

26 minutes ago, Simonsays3 said:

*PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT*

As someone who spent way too much time googling WYSIWYG, I wanted to clarify what it is for us light miniature wargamers. 

It stands for "What you see is what you get" and is the concept of requiring a miniature to have a visual indicator of the weapon they're using, IE a stormtrooper using a DLT-19 upgrade must have that weapon on the model as a way for players to distinguish which model has which equipment. Or as noted above, it's the idea of magnetizing the weapons on the AT-ST or AT-RT so you always know what weapons it's accessing at any given time, without having to scrutinize your opponent's upgrades.

Hope this helps!

*YOU MAY RESUME YOUR USUAL FORUM ACTIVITY*

Also, you may occasionally hear people essentially say “WYSIWYG” rather than saying the whole phrase.

So if you hear anyone say “whizzywig” in a miniatures game context, that’s what they mean.

On 3/23/2018 at 11:26 AM, Hrathen said:

The problem is you can't mount the mortar without gluing it.

You can, but it’s pretty involved. There’s a couple YouTube videos out. Basically you pry the back of the AT-ST cockpit off and then magnetize it.

26 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

You can, but it’s pretty involved. There’s a couple YouTube videos out. Basically you pry the back of the AT-ST cockpit off and then magnetize it.

Mileage may vary but it was actually incredibly easy for me. I didn't even need tools and just pulled it off with my fingers. I wasn't planning to magnetize either but it came off so easily it seemed like a waste not to at that point. 

On 3/27/2018 at 9:07 AM, aniron said:

What size ball&socket, where did you get it and how does it look?

I weren't able to find anything smaller than an 8mm ball when googling it.

I did it with tiny rare earth magnets.

A little torn on this for Legion, but usually I’m a big proponent of WYSIWYG.  It really does make it easier for both you and the other player to know what’s what.  Sure, there are cards 4feet away from you and upside down you can check, but it just makes sense to look at the play area and be able to see who, what, and where.  I find it’s more visually satisfying as well.  

It might seem easy now, but once we have 20different units released it can get difficult to keep in mind all the upgrades during a game without WYSIWYG.

On 3/23/2018 at 3:01 AM, KryatDragon said:

What size magnets?

1/8". If you glue the magnet to the shield prior to gluing that to the mount, its not an issue at all. Just be sure to chop off the magnets height from the weapons poles or they will hang down too low.

Another detail that in my opinion weighs in favor of the game not being WYSIWYG is the T-47.  The hardpoint guns are pretty similar to each other, and from across the table at a glance I don’t think they will be easy AT ALL to tell the difference, thus needing to look at cards or ask the opponent.

It’s one thing to put down a Baneblade (a super-heavy tank in Warhammer 40k for those who don’t know) and say “that’s actually a shadowsword.” (A different super-heavy tank with vastly different weapons and role).

It’s quite another to say, “that’s a ground buzzer, not a harpoon launcher.”

3 hours ago, Dosiere said:

A little torn on this for Legion, but usually I’m a big proponent of WYSIWYG.  It really does make it easier for both you and the other player to know what’s what.  Sure, there are cards 4feet away from you and upside down you can check, but it just makes sense to look at the play area and be able to see who, what, and where.  I find it’s more visually satisfying as well.  

It might seem easy now, but once we have 20different units released it can get difficult to keep in mind all the upgrades during a game without WYSIWYG.

I am magnetising for my own sanity, and hopefully the opponent's as well. I don't like to accidentally trick or mislead my opponent into believe a different field situation with wrong weapons or obscure modifications and I'm grateful when they do the same. (With obscure modifications I mean making the normal troopers look like comandos and viceversa for example)

On 3/23/2018 at 11:53 AM, themightyhedgehog said:

What if I glue the flame thrower onto the rtst? But want to run another gun. Do I have to buy a whole other unit just to represent that? Or will the card showing I have that gun be enough. 

I think that would be fine... till the time I walk my ATST out in the open cause all that RTST has is a flamer, and I find out its a lascannon, and then I'm going to think you try to cheat, and ban you from my table, and your going to feel terrible.

Prolly easier to WYSIWYG.

55 minutes ago, Hawktel said:

I think that would be fine... till the time I walk my ATST out in the open cause all that RTST has is a flamer, and I find out its a lascannon, and then I'm going to think you try to cheat, and ban you from my table, and your going to feel terrible.

Prolly easier to WYSIWYG.

Or you could look at your opponent's actual list. 

This is Star Wars. Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them.