KryatDragon

Is Legion WYSIWYG?

I magnetize all sorts of minis for 40K and other games... but the AT-RT connection point for the weapon mount is between two parts and actually involves the drop down mount for the gun... so magnetizing seems to be a real PITA for the AT-RT.

35 minutes ago, GreatMazinkaiser said:

It probably should be but I dunno if it is... having the wrong gun is a lot more misleading than say using a Royal Guard TIE for Soontier Fel in the same squad with a Saber Squadron TIE representing Carnor Jax.

Oh god I knew someone who did that, was mind games at its finest.

"Alright i will boost into range one and shoot Soontir...wait what do you mean i can't spend my focus token?... That's Carnor? ...ah poodoo."

Yeah, unfortunately it's the Organized Play rules that would care about WYSIWYG and those still aren't out yet. I't not that hard to magnetize by all reports, I plan to do magnetize it and the Mortar on the AT-ST. The check guns at least slot in so I'll have to see how strong that connection is before I make a decision there. 

Just now, Hijodecain said:

WYSIWYG means What You See Is What You Get. And I guess no, this is not a WTSIWYG game, no reference in the rules.

Maybe not for vehicles, but the Squad leader is supposed to be clearly marked, and you are supposed to include the matching model for any Special weapon attachments as far as I am aware. 

Just now, Caimheul1313 said:

Maybe not for vehicles, but the Squad leader is supposed to be clearly marked, and you are supposed to include the matching model for any Special weapon attachments as far as I am aware. 

That's true, Squad Leaders must me marked somehow; but since no OP rules have been released we don't know yet how conversions are going to be handled. 

The only case where a unit wouldn't be WYSIWYG is with vehicles, since everybody else either has a 1:1 gun-model ratio. The AT-RT and AT-ST guns can be swapped, so you'd have to deal with it there. 

But as mentioned, it's the tournament rules where that'd be stipulated, and we don't have those yet.

2 minutes ago, svelok said:

The only case where a unit wouldn't be WYSIWYG is with vehicles, since everybody else either has a 1:1 gun-model ratio. The AT-RT and AT-ST guns can be swapped, so you'd have to deal with it there. 

But as mentioned, it's the tournament rules where that'd be stipulated, and we don't have those yet.

It would be nice if they told us, especially with the AT-RT's weapon and the AT-ST's mortar NOT being pegs. 

I’m fine with the some WYSIWYG. What do I mean? Larger weapons like squad or vehicle weapon upgrades should be visible but other upgrades like grenades, comm jammers, and so on should not fall under the rule. 

The best “rule of thumb” to go by that I can think of is based upon the option bits FFG packs in the unit boxes.

I would imagine that upgrades that require an extra model, like special weapons troops will have to be WYSIWYG, I am less sure about alternate builds on vehicles.  I find that I can just use friction to hold in my alternate weapons for my AT-ST (except the morder) and the Airspeeder, but no such luck on my AT-RT.  I will probably magnetize that.

But their are other upgrades like grenades that you can't WYSIWYG.

It's kind of a weird situation with the AT-RT since it actually swaps the weapons.  It feels like less of an issue with the AT-ST since it can equip all of them.  While I'm glad someone prebuilt the head on the thing, I was a little sad just because if they hadn't it would have been super trivial to magnetize the mortar.

Just now, LunarSol said:

It's kind of a weird situation with the AT-RT since it actually swaps the weapons.  It feels like less of an issue with the AT-ST since it can equip all of them.  While I'm glad someone prebuilt the head on the thing, I was a little sad just because if they hadn't it would have been super trivial to magnetize the mortar.

That's still pretty relevant, though. An AT-ST with two weapons is pretty different from four, and that's the kind of thing it's important to be able to tell at a glance (especially depending on which weapon is being used.)

It's a balance, which is always the tricky thing with WYSIWYG.  On one end of the spectrum, you have a single model with all the weapons that your opponent tells you isn't using half of them.  Cool, fine, I can probably figure that out.  On the other, you have that guy fielding 3 AT-RTs each modeled with a different that's being unreasonable and claiming they each have a different weapon then what the model has because the rules don't technically don't stop him from being unreasonable.

I will say I'd rather see all 3 weapons on an AT-ST that's only using one of them then an AT-ST modeled with just 2 weapons using all 3 or worse yet, using a different 2.

Edited by LunarSol

My guess is that OP rules won't restrict you to have the exact weapons in vehicles. Do the instructions for the ATST specify that you shouldn't glue the weapons to the unit? I think that is just a cool option and not a requirement to use. Regarding telling units apart, we have those id tokens for that, as in x-wing.

I hope it's not WYSIWYG, I really don't want to fuss with magnets or buying multiple models. I can understand why you would want it WYSIWYG but I think FFG will try to make this game a bit more accessible to newer players and not require them to modify the models with magnets. With the upgrade cards on the table I think that will be good enough. 

8 minutes ago, Fmartinez said:

My guess is that OP rules won't restrict you to have the exact weapons in vehicles. Do the instructions for the ATST specify that you shouldn't glue the weapons to the unit? I think that is just a cool option and not a requirement to use. Regarding telling units apart, we have those id tokens for that, as in x-wing.

The problem is you can't mount the mortar without gluing it.