Sign in to follow this  
Mburnaugh64

Very interested but App concern

Hey Everyone, I’ve been checking out this game and it looks amazing, my only concern is the app. I have purchased many game apps in the past and once the company/developer stops supporting them and I change iPads to a new model the older apps no longer work...so my worry is once FF stops supporting the game as they have done with other games then what? I’m stuck with a game with no supporting app??? Any advice??

Buy a different game?

Seriously... this question comes up often, and every time it does, no matter how much people try to assure the asker that the app will be supported for a very veeeery long time, or that there are TONS of examples of apps and programs no longer "officially" supported but still around and useable... it never really changes anyone's mind.  So... if you don't like the idea of the app, there are plenty of other thematically similar games (Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror:LCG, Elder Sign, etc) or other "dungeon crawl" games (Descent, Gloomhaven, etc) that will hopefully fill in the same niche.  You'll be missing out on a great game, but there are lots of great games to play out there without apps.

Edited by KBlumhardt

There is currently even an ongoing project to provide personal user created content. Valkyrie is providing an outlet for personal creation. And FFG is still rolling pretty strong with new expansions and DLC content.

Besides, Even if they do discontinue creating new content there's probably little risk that you wouldn't have some way to access the existing software. But like KBlumhardt said, this has been brought up many times before... There can only be so much comforting to be stated on the topic.

I was one of the most concerned people around about playing board games that require an app.  I couldn't be any less concerned about this one.  The game is incredible and well-supported.

Glad you decided to pick it up - there is a ton of value in here and many good times to be had.  

As others have mentioned we just don't know when/how it will go away when the time comes.  There are likely two possible LONG term outcomes.  1. The game goes away completely and is unable to be played via any app or software in anyway.  I believe this the less likely option.  2. The game is no longer officially supported but current content can still be accessed in some fashion.  The software is hosted via Steam and App stores - if FFG servers 'go down' it really doesn't matter as the game is entirely run locally.  It is fairly likely that this game can be played for a very, very long time after official support ends.  Think like older Nintendo games that have been emulated - the Internet will find a way :)    Either outcome is likely multiple years away if not decades away.  If you play only 5 times a year over 10 years then is each game worth more than $2 in entertainment value?  If yes then I think you are safe.  If thinking/worrying about it would bug you (I completely get this in some ways - just the way people are wired or have preferences) then maybe it is a pass.  Just know you are passing on a very great game that casual and seasoned groups alike really enjoy.