tkundnobody

Original Color vs Individual Color vs Grey

Hey there,

im curious how do you paint your miniatures or don’t you?

- so do you leave them grey?

- paint them in the original color like in the movies?

- or prefer a individual unique color scheme?

i think I will use an individual color scheme. All my tabletop armies are blue or got at least a blue touch. And the biggest reason to paint stormies blue is, I can’t paint clear white and hard lines. I paint just some color, wash and ready :D so I get dirty blue stormies. What are your plans?

2 minutes ago, Alathazal said:

I’m gonna be painting them like the original movies, but want to come up with a a way to easily distinguish between squads... but not all too sure how at the moment.

In 40k there were 2 Main ways to do this:

- use different decays/symbols

- use different color (just on a shoulder for example, or the base edge)

2 minutes ago, Alathazal said:

I’m gonna be painting them like the original movies, but want to come up with a a way to easily distinguish between squads... but not all too sure how at the moment.

Do something with the base to distinguish them! Maybe even color the rims if you dont mind them unnaturally colored

1 minute ago, Alathazal said:

If I may suggest, the bases. On the rounded side of the base, I'm deciding between slight color variations, or, making "hash" marks or something close to the like on them. So instead of placing a token with the actual model unit, if the unit number token was 3 that'd be placed next to the unit card, I'd make 3 hash marks or whatever on the model bases.

Of course that's if you want to imprint such a thing on the model. (Course i suppose you could just repaint over it if you didn't like it.)

27 minutes ago, Alathazal said:

I did different color bases for Imperial Assault. As in vivid red/ blue/green. If you want a little more reserved, do the bases in a uniform color but put a subtle but distinct pattern on the bases. Like  slashes, a single horizontal bar, etc around the rim 

1 hour ago, Alathazal said:

The movies used no such distinctions.

Keep it pure and do something with the bases like others have said.  If you're flocking your bases, and you want all your Imperial forces to be "on" the same terrain, put some stones on the bases of one of the squads, static grass or other foliage clumps on another, keep the rims the same colour.

Or base everything more or less the same and put different coloured rims on the bases.  If you do this, then put a coloured bead/token that matches it on the unit card, or do what I've seen some people do and use a coloured sleeve that matches the rim colour.

Imperial Assault came with 4 coloured ID tokens; red/black/purple/blue and I used those to match my rims easily enough.

1 hour ago, tkundnobody said:

Hey there,

im curious how do you paint your miniatures or don’t you?

- so do you leave them grey?

- paint them in the original color like in the movies?

- or prefer a individual unique color scheme?

i think I will use an individual color scheme. All my tabletop armies are blue or got at least a blue touch. And the biggest reason to paint stormies blue is, I can’t paint clear white and hard lines. I paint just some color, wash and ready :D so I get dirty blue stormies. What are your plans?

Planning on using OT coloring. Worth noting that Vader seems to be wearing his ESB suit, rather than the one in ANH. 

All Stormtroopers will be white like GCW troopers. It doesn't matter to me to make my squads distinctive like I need to do with Bolt Action to distinguish rifle, SMG and AR squads. Not 100% sure if I will make my squads unique.

I also play Astra Militarum (or Imperial Guard, if you speak like a person) in 40k. Previously there were 5 squads per platoon and 6 platoons in an army, so I painted the rims on the bases a colour for each platoon, then numbered each squad (I, II, III, IV, V, VI), same too with all the special weapons squads, Heavy weapons teams, etc.

I imagine the same process here, there are a maximum of 6 troop squads, which is where the main confusion will be (especially for Imperials and the Stormtroopers). 

Of course you can only paint empire models strictly according to the movies. That's the only way I may accept them (not that you should care of what I think) . This is a STAR WARS game so we must paint like star wars. So storm troopers are pure White with only the leader 's shoulder pad  colored.

Otherwise thare are plenty of games where you can use your personal schemes.

For rebels there is no dress code, so you can paint them however you like (maybe I would avoid pink troopers or lighting blue AT RT...)

Then of course everybody will do as they like. But when I see colored stormtroopers on the field, my eyes will bleed...

12 hours ago, Alathazal said:

I paint the bases rim black and then have a painted mark such as 'red' for 1 squad or blue for another.  I usually do it along the back edge of the base but can do on the front too (or even all round)

14 hours ago, Alathazal said:

just like modern warfare games.... back of the base in the squad colour

13 hours ago, Derrault said:

Planning on using OT coloring. Worth noting that Vader seems to be wearing his ESB suit, rather than the one in ANH. 

Makes sense as Luke is in his Bespin costume I believe.

As to the OP, I will be doing individual color, probably a bone colored armor for my Stormtroopers, partially as I want to be able to easily identify my units in an Empire VS Empire or Rebel VS Rebel matchup, not to mention ensuring I or someone else doesn't end up going home with an extra miniature or two by accident. I may mark squads, just because then I don't have to worry about accidentally changing squad size/composition if I move two squads near each other, then separate them, especially as I can't recall there being a minimum distance necessary to keep between different unit, unlike some other games. 

My thinking on Stormtrooper colour is twofold: 1) They're your minis paint them how you want to (same thinking I have with historicals). 2) There is a decent amount of Stormtrooper variants that are JUST a change in armour color. Forrest  Troopers, Magma Troopers,  Shocktroopers, and Shadow Troopers come to mind. We're already playing a game of "What if?"s, might as well make up your own type of specialized Stormtrooper, or reasoning why your troopers have that embellishment to their armour.