Marauder1983

Three Kings of Punishment

So I have been play testing a list and so far I have had very good success with it but I want to get a broader opinion from the community. 

Bombers (99)

Cutlass Squadron Pilot (33) - TIE Punisher
Minefield Mapper (0), Extra Munitions (2), Harpoon Missiles (4), Proximity Mines (3), Proximity Mines (3), Long-Range Scanners (0)

Minefield Mapper (0), Extra Munitions (2), Harpoon Missiles (4), Proximity Mines (3), Proximity Mines (3), Long-Range Scanners (0)

I am planning to test swapping the long range scanners for guidance chips but the concern is stress on the punisher dials. The scanners allow me to get a TL focus for the initial volley, which has been devastating so far. In all the games I only lost 1 punisher per game in two of the three. 

I will try and upload some pictures of round 1 of the test play for reference

Edited by Marauder1983

Bydand - cluster mines were my first option but the cost limits the punisher to unguided rockets. Harpoons are a much better option so proxies won.

Greebwahn - it performs very well so far. The initial mines have had mixed effectiveness. I have found the key is to make sure mines are directly infront of each ship because it forces them to make a turn. Unless you want them to go strait into the jaws of the harpoons. The sensors get you the TL on turn 1 and from there pick your target, joust and if you don’t smoke it on the first pas you have 6 more proxie mines to finish the job on the flyby.

Might be worth giving up the bid and symmetry to add in one Cluster Mine.  On the other hand, it's not too hard to just fly over 1 of them, and then it's only a 2-dice bomb.  Proximity is a 3-dice hit, but might be easier to avoid.  I'd have to see it on the table. A single Conner Net might also be an interesting switch-up.

Anyhow, this seems like the best version of the 3x Minefield Mapper TIE Punisher archetype.  Harpoons > Unguided makes a lot of sense.  Back when it was first considered when the Scurrg hit, I liked the thought of Proximity + Unguided Rockets + Lightweight Frame, but I think Harpoon probably makes the most sense.

Update - so this list is now 7-1 in our local play area. Total of 2 punishers lost in all the wins. 

The poons have been utterly devistating. The initial mines have about a 20% hit rate and have mostly served to corral my opponent into lanes they don’t want. The second set of proxy mines have been about 70% effective as finishing moves once the poons are gone. The ghost has been the toughest to take down but easy enough to maneuver around. The PS2 on all the pilots works great to kill off the high ps pilots at close range after they are hit with the harpoons or range 1 primary shots.