Sign in to follow this  
martini74

A-Poon

Not sure if this was tried out yet, but I plan on running this at a weekend tournament.

Green Squadron Pilot(25) [Green Squadron Pilot(19), Deadeye(1), A-Wing Test Pilot(0), Guidance Chips(0), Rage(1), Harpoon Missiles(4)]  

So, four of these.  Any thoughts?

Looks means.  They are fast ships.  My only concern would be how many explode before they launch the missiles.  A-wings are fragile, and being at PS 3 doesn't help. 

I have an extreme love of the starwing swarms, they are a little more durable.

I don't like it at all, as an A-Wing player.

look at how many points you have tied up in Harpoons

4 harpoon

2 for not taking refit

1 for deadeye

thats 7 points for a harpoon missile... very inefficient. you can do prockets for 5. 

the problem is, after your harpoons gone, you still got 2 die attack fragile A-wings, and you used 24 points of your list to get them.

Edited by Wiredin

So instead of the harpoons, how about:

Green Squadron Pilot(25) [Green Squadron Pilot(19), A-Wing Test Pilot(0), Snap Shot (2), Crack Shot(1), Proton Rockets (3)]

OR...

Green Squadron Pilot(25) [Green Squadron Pilot(19), A-Wing Test Pilot(0), Crack Shot (1), Autothrusters (2), Proton Rockets (3)]    

OR...

Green Squadron Pilot(25) [Green Squadron Pilot(19), A-Wing Test Pilot(0), Push the Limit (3), Proton Rockets (3)]  

snap crack prockets is a ton of fun. would do well before lowhricck and all the additional defensive stacking. I love a-wings, probably more than most, but they are not so good at pushing damage through. :(

Ended up 1-2.  Wrote a battle report on it, just look over there.  I like the list.  Might switch harpoons up with some cruise missiles.  This is more a fun list.  Would have enjoyed going against low agility ships, but never did other than three wookie liberators.

Edited by martini74

12 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

snap crack prockets is a ton of fun. would do well before lowhricck and all the additional defensive stacking. I love a-wings, probably more than most, but they are not so good at pushing damage through. :(

Agreed...

That's why I've started experimenting with the following:

Green Squadron Pilot(20) [Green Squadron Pilot(19), A-Wing Test Pilot(0), Snap Shot (2), Crack Shot(1)] X 5

OR...

Green Squadron Pilot(25) [Green Squadron Pilot(19), A-Wing Test Pilot(0), Push the Limit (3), Crack Shot (1), Autothrusters (2)] X 4 

OR...

Green Squadron Pilot(27) [Green Squadron Pilot(19), A-Wing Test Pilot(0), Push the Limit (3), Swarm Leader (3), Autothrusters (2)] x1

Green Squadron Pilot(24) [Green Squadron Pilot(19), A-Wing Test Pilot(0), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2)] x3

When you've got five, I don't think having Autothrusters is quite as important. It's also a little easier pushing damage through, as well as giving you blocking without sacrificing shots. With four, I believe you need a little more damage protection, which is what PtL and Autothrusters give you. PtL also gives you a little more offensive punch, as you can both target lock and focus when you're not going to be receiving a bunch of shots.

Whatever version you use, they are a boatload of fun to fly.

Definitely Autothrusters would have done little yesturday as I went against all ships.with arcs and no turrets.  Guidence Chips became usefull.  Every time I fired off the Harpoons it was a combo of hit/critcals but all four dice had something on there I liked.  

Rage/Deadeye works as a proxie TL so I only need one action to fire off with the harpoons.

7 hours ago, underling said:

Agreed...

That's why I've started experimenting with the following:

Green Squadron Pilot(20) [Green Squadron Pilot(19), A-Wing Test Pilot(0), Snap Shot (2), Crack Shot(1)] X 5

OR...

Green Squadron Pilot(25) [Green Squadron Pilot(19), A-Wing Test Pilot(0), Push the Limit (3), Crack Shot (1), Autothrusters (2)] X 4 

OR...

Green Squadron Pilot(27) [Green Squadron Pilot(19), A-Wing Test Pilot(0), Push the Limit (3), Swarm Leader (3), Autothrusters (2)] x1

Green Squadron Pilot(24) [Green Squadron Pilot(19), A-Wing Test Pilot(0), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2)] x3

When you've got five, I don't think having Autothrusters is quite as important. It's also a little easier pushing damage through, as well as giving you blocking without sacrificing shots. With four, I believe you need a little more damage protection, which is what PtL and Autothrusters give you. PtL also gives you a little more offensive punch, as you can both target lock and focus when you're not going to be receiving a bunch of shots.

Whatever version you use, they are a boatload of fun to fly.

I was incorrect with my point costing earlier. I forgot the Chardaan Refits on some of the examples above when they aren't using missiles. 

That actually gives them 8 points to play with in their upgrades, which opens up a few more possibilities.

I've done fairly well with the following:

4 x Green Squadron Pilot w/ PTL, Juke, Refit, Title and AT's.

This comes in at 24 pts each but there wasn't really much more to add. I have tried replacing one of them with either a PTL, Swarm Leader GSP or PTL VI Jake but this seems to work best. A-wings don't do too much damage but if you get 4 pointing at the same thing with Juke triggering they can do some damage. I've tried the Snap/Juke list and found it too fragile but I may have been flying it wrong.

In the munitions department I usually favour:

4 x Green Squadron Pilot w/PTL, Prockets, Title and Guidance Chips. At the time I had Adaptability as triple jumps were a thing and I wanted to have the PS advantage but these days trick shot may be a good call, not that I play much these days.