RedJediKnight

New Preview for Terrinoth

Looks interesting.  I'm curious how "activation" works in the context of a rune such as the example.  Activation of a weapon quality requires two advantage, but if you're using a lightning runed battle axe to fire a lightning bolt, what skill check are you making to try to gain the two advantage?  It makes no sense that you'd be trying a melee attack if your goal is to strike at range.  And it seems clunky to make a ranged attack that not only has to succeed, but must generate 2 advantage or it doesn't happen at all.

Or can "activation" of runes can be paid some other way (story point, strain, etc.) but unless I missed it, the article doesn't explain further.

50 minutes ago, Dragonshadow said:

Looks interesting.  I'm curious how "activation" works in the context of a rune such as the example.  Activation of a weapon quality requires two advantage, but if you're using a lightning runed battle axe to fire a lightning bolt, what skill check are you making to try to gain the two advantage?  It makes no sense that you'd be trying a melee attack if your goal is to strike at range.  And it seems clunky to make a ranged attack that not only has to succeed, but must generate 2 advantage or it doesn't happen at all.

Or can "activation" of runes can be paid some other way (story point, strain, etc.) but unless I missed it, the article doesn't explain further.

My guess is that “Activation” in this instance refers to using the shard itself as a weapon. Infusing it into another weapon would give that weapon a new quality, not detailed here. 

I am starting a game that is set to feel like console JRPGs. I was planning to have a magic system like FF7.

Runeshards give enhancement to weapons, can do magical effects on their own, and enhance spells. Sound like I found a solid system for Materia. 

8 hours ago, Dragonshadow said:

The answer is given right in the text of the image:

Discipline; Damage 8; Critical 3; Range [Long]; Autofire, Disorient 3.

So it will be an attack action, using the Discipline skill, and it has all the weapon properties listed.

I think he means something more along the lines of "how do you trigger the activation", like is it just an action, do you have to pay strain or a story point to activate, or what

True, from the description I would think it’s just an action as if using a weapon. If it’s got a Strain cost who knows, I would think not since the attack is more limited than the spell would be:

Runes; Damage 5+ Intellect; Critical -; Range starts at Medium; Autofire, Stun equal to ranks in Knowledge (Runes).

So it’s Difficulty is one less at Medium Range or beyond, has the same Damage at Intellect 3, with a maximum 2 higher, and has a potential Stun 5. It has no critical rating, but adding Deadly or any of the other effects is not going to make it that much more difficult to use.

The possibility of Activating it costing Strain seems plausible, but there’s nothing in the text that suggests the runes draw power from their user.

I think you're right, at least in this case. but if another one heals for example, it may have a cost associated to prevent the party from full healing after each battle with no repercussions. I imagine its something that will be called out in the individual stone's activation

Edited by saethone

I believe rune magic is the way magic is implemented in Terrinoth and as such will most likely be presented as an alternative to the core magic system.  Although I do prefer the core system, I will most likely pick and choose some rune specific rules I’m sure, particularly as they pertain to magic item creation.

On the GenCon character sheets there where 5 magic skills, the article seems to suggest that rune magic is the most predominant but that other forms exist. 

I wonder if the Rune skill is used for casting when holding a rune? Or is Rune for making new runes? Or even combining runes with regular equipment?

That last option seems most sensible to me, actual runes can be used with any magic skill (Arcane, Divine, Primal, Voice) to enhance the appropriate spell, but only the Runic skill can be used to enchant weapons and armour.