DangerShine Designs

Fully Operational is Shipping Now

FFG must be holding the books and doling one out every month or so, so as not to flood the  market.  We had four books all go "on the boat" at the same time, I bet they don't want to release them all at once, for fear it will be to big an expenditure for much of their customer base.  Better to space them out.

I understand the logic, but I want them all now.

On 21.3.2018 at 4:06 PM, Split Light said:

FFG must be holding the books and doling one out every month or so, so as not to flood the  market.  We had four books all go "on the boat" at the same time, I bet they don't want to release them all at once, for fear it will be to big an expenditure for much of their customer base.  Better to space them out.

I understand the logic, but I want them all now.

That is a common distribution strategy, but actually I doubt that ffg does it. Looking on their website, most of their stuff is most of the times sold out. Therefore I would say they simply have problems in production. 

Also I don't know how their headquarter looks and so on, and how many books they have in the first print, but I guess they would take a lot of space. 

But also maybe I am  completely wrong and it has something to do with some shop highscore like"whose products sell the fastest" and you are right and they are holding it back

Ps: yeeeaaaay new book

Edited by Seguleh

2 hours ago, Seguleh said:

That is a common distribution strategy, but actually I doubt that ffg does it. Looking on their website, most of their stuff is most of the times sold out. Therefore I would say they simply have problems in production. 

Also I don't know how their headquarter looks and so on, and how many books they have in the first print, but I guess they would take a lot of space. 

But also maybe I am  completely wrong and it has something to do with some shop highscore like"whose products sell the fastest" and you are right and they are holding it back

Ps: yeeeaaaay new book

You have to remember two things. 1) FFG is a "small" operation when it comes to production volumes of anything they make. I'd be surprised if a typical print run for them closed in on 10,000 copies at a time. More likely it is less than that. 2) They don't sell all their stuff themselves from their online site. A significant amount of it goes out into the distribution network, which is why you can find their products sold at your FLGS or even Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc...

To give you an idea of volume difference:

"To ensure a spot on The Wall Street Journal’s Bestseller list, you need to sell about 3000 books in the first week and to hit gold and the New York Times Bestseller list, you’ll need 9,000 copies sold in the first week."

http://www.bookpromotionhub.com/6103/how-many-books-do-you-need-to-sell-to-become-a-bestseller/

RPGs and boardgames are niche markets in comparison to anything like other book publishing, so their volumes are smaller. I live in a city of nearly 5,000,000 people and we have just 2 reliable stores to find gaming products. Else you're getting stuff online as stores like B&N only dedicate about a 4 foot section to it and mostly just stock Pathfinder/D&D with a smattering of others, like Catalyst's Shadowrun and some FFG stuff.

On 3/21/2018 at 11:08 AM, Desslok said:

Of course the ******* thing ships two weeks after I retire my engineer.

I'll make sure my Ace Driver/Rigger makes good use of the book in your name. He's recently gotten a new Scyk to toy with.

On 24/03/2018 at 5:42 AM, Kallabecca said:

You have to remember two things. 1) FFG is a "small" operation when it comes to production volumes of anything they make. I'd be surprised if a typical print run for them closed in on 10,000 copies at a time. More likely it is less than that. 2) They don't sell all their stuff themselves from their online site. A significant amount of it goes out into the distribution network, which is why you can find their products sold at your FLGS or even Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc...

To give you an idea of volume difference:

"To ensure a spot on The Wall Street Journal’s Bestseller list, you need to sell about 3000 books in the first week and to hit gold and the New York Times Bestseller list, you’ll need 9,000 copies sold in the first week."

http://www.bookpromotionhub.com/6103/how-many-books-do-you-need-to-sell-to-become-a-bestseller/

RPGs and boardgames are niche markets in comparison to anything like other book publishing, so their volumes are smaller. I live in a city of nearly 5,000,000 people and we have just 2 reliable stores to find gaming products. Else you're getting stuff online as stores like B&N only dedicate about a 4 foot section to it and mostly just stock Pathfinder/D&D with a smattering of others, like Catalyst's Shadowrun and some FFG stuff.

A) FFG is in no way small. Moreover, to say that 'anything' they make is small, means a major miss on the industry and sales.
B) No one of any significance sells everything themselves from their online site. Whether it's drivethru or other pdf sites or traditional three-tier distribution, very few publishers are direct sales only, and of those who are, they're pretty much all exclusively in the 'hobby' category (GURPS being a possible exception in the period when they weren't releasing any physical books but just doing pdfs through E23).

X-wing outsells just about everything with the exception of Magic The Gathering and Pokemon. Juggle the months and flip a coin and see who's released what to work out what's selling more. Add in everything else FFG releases and there's a reason why Asmodee is way bigger than WotC.

Asmodee, as a whole, is at roughly 2X the annual cap of WotC, and way, way above their market valuation. FFG is the biggest 'chunk' of Asmodee, and at the point they were acquired saw the sales figures of Asmodee jump to roughly the same amount as if they'd acquired WotC. Since when Asmodee has gone up, and WotC have remained roughly flat over that time (with some blips but broadly in line with expected increases).

Based on all available information, SWRPGs are, at worst, the 3rd highest selling RPG books. And in any given month can be 1st (the month they release, compared to pathfinder/wizards releases).

Asmodee, as a whole, are considerably bigger than any other company in the industry (now around twice the size of WotC, more than 3 times the size of GW and way above Paizo).

10k sales is, in modern RPG terms, massive. Very few products get to that level in anything less than multiple years of sales.

Delta Green, the best rated RPG book of all time, had 2,500 backers for its kickstarter. Even at an optimistic doubling at retail (which is not going to the the case), that would be half that 'typical' print run.

FFG also do small print runs, as evidenced by how quickly new releases go out of print (See Ghosts and No Disintegrations last year for example). Long-tail is there, but they sacrifice long-term profit for up-front returns.

Having worked for 10+ years in both mainstream publishing (both fiction and non) as well as rpg publishing, there are similarities and marked differences to both. An evergreen rpg book hits that level at a much lower level than a fiction book in print. But the highs of fiction are so much higher than rpg publishing as to be laughable in comparison.

RPG publishing's rates of pay are at a level that don't even equal minimum wage in the US or the EU. However, that 8k selling paperback book at $7.99 will make less in overall sales for the company than the 3k selling $50 rpg hardback (For which at best the breakdown will be 40/20/40 for publisher/distributor/retailer). But then the print and costs for a large hardback rpg are way higher than a 250 page paperback novel and so we get into the nitty gritty.

In short, the 10k figure bears no similarity to the realities of the industry today, and likewise to claim that FFG/Asmodee are a 'small' operation, as a 2.5 billion dollar company and 550+ million of yearly sales is pretty ludicrous.

Edited by Evilref