Sign in to follow this  
BiggsIRL

Imperial March - A Steel Command Quarantine Thread

Hello future Legion players!  Steel Command started as an Armada centered strategy blog, and has since it's start grown to include three writers and nearly 400 articles on Armada strategy and tactics.  And the three of @BiggsIRL, @Truthiness, and @shmitty are all very excited for Legion.  In fact, we rebranded from Steel Squadron to Steel Command specifically because we wanted to be a source for Legion articles once it came out.

We're getting the party stated a day early with the Ground Commander's Guide to Issuing Orders & General Command Cards.  We'll be continuing from here with guides to the various units (my specialty), as well as after action reports from Truthiness and Shmitty, as well as first impressions.  And in an effort to avoid spamming the forums every time we come out with a new article, but still letting you know about it, we'll be posting new articles in a nice, convenient monthly quarantine thread and on our Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/SteelSquadronHQ/

Plus you can read all our Armada stuff, if you play Armada and haven't read it yet.

Love how in-depth your Armada stuff was, and this looks to be no exception. Already had an "aha" moment with this:

[Ambush] can also be useful to spend to issue an order to a specific unit to remove it from the pool, making the pool less random

With a troop-heavy list this can be crucial. I've already been thinking about the flexibility having all those troop tokens in the "random" bag gives you, this is another component to that reactive strategy.

1 hour ago, shmitty said:

And I have a blog post up on my impressions of my first couple of 800 point Legions games.  Including a look at the origins of Legions core mechanics.

http://www.steelstrategy.com/2018/03/impressions-from-my-first-legions-games.html

Here is hoping we sustain that energy and excitement for the game!

I am still waiting to get my first non-demo game.

16 hours ago, kac said:

Very nice article. Love your thoughts on splitting targets to increase the amount of suppression on the board.

Thanks!

Spreading out fire is really counter-intuitive for me.  Usually you want to concentrate on attacking one thing til it is dead.  In Legion I think you can employ the strategy to spread your fire as much as possible to maximize Suppression.  Both ways work, but it's nice to have the option.  Either way I would go all in on either spreading fire or concentrating to destroy units.

25 minutes ago, Big Easy said:

Great points for thought. The Z trooper just went way up in my eyes, as a potential second attack on a second unit with a lot of chances to get a single hit. 

That's also how I've felt about the Harpoon.  Even when there are no vehicles to spin around, a 75% chance of a suppression isn't too shabby for 8 points.