Sign in to follow this  
Morgaln

Custom Investigators

ha ha Bill awesome... I would chnage his fixed items though... remove lure monster... hes not going to be able to cast it at 2 die a 3 Sanity (not very likely at least!) and change food to whiskey!

DeepSix said:

Made some adjustments, any thoughts?  Should i stick a fork in these two?

Time to play test. I think you will find that the +1 bonus for the same neighborhood will not be too strong since the offsetting penalty is that the twins have to move along pretty close to each other and more often than not that's not going to be efficient.

I really liked your backstory.  I wish everyone would write a backstory for their investigators and their Ancient Ones.  I found one spelling error. The word "quite" should probably be "quiet" in your first line.

If I'm correct, and its not strong enough, a rule I often use is investigators in the same "village" or Other World area.  Unless, you're playing the base game, that might not be too strong.  It's easy for investigators to get separated.

mageith said:

Time to play test. I think you will find that the +1 bonus for the same neighborhood will not be too strong since the offsetting penalty is that the twins have to move along pretty close to each other and more often than not that's not going to be efficient.

I really liked your backstory.  I wish everyone would write a backstory for their investigators and their Ancient Ones.  I found one spelling error. The word "quite" should probably be "quiet" in your first line.

If I'm correct, and its not strong enough, a rule I often use is investigators in the same "village" or Other World area.  Unless, you're playing the base game, that might not be too strong.  It's easy for investigators to get separated.

Awesome, thanks.  It was fun to write the story, and i was trying to keep it as canonical as possible.  I need to go back and read some of the stories again.  Good eye on the spelling error as well.  I'll give these two a play test tonight and see how it goes.  Then it'll be on to getting Jonathan just right...

I really enjoy the process of character creation just as much as the actual game.  Making one that fit's with the official material and strikes the right balance, while still bringing something unique to the table, is a challenging puzzle in itself.

Fireblaze said:

3550035768_0a4b16bfab_b.jpg 

Franklin the Collector - Lots of stuff and a fast shopper.

Cool!  I love the buy/encounter ability, great idea.  Keeping his base stats average balances out all the items, though i might suggest bringing his fight down one point.

You could have a problem with the will check ability though, it's currently something i'm trying to work out with my own characters.  The wording needs to be re-worked, but it sounds like he has a pack rat dissorder and can't get rid of things.  In this game thats quite an advantage.  Could i suggest he lose 1 sanity on a discard?  That would seem thematically correct.

Fireblaze said:

3550063920_7eb4ac0836_b.jpg

I took the liberty to make variant of the Man of Many Faces, less complex ability.

Cool take on that idea, i like him being "himself" at full sanity.  Even wih the adjustments at the upkeep phase, there is still a degree of randomness to the personalities.  It could be a pain to keep all those cards on hand if you don't have the abilites memorsied, and having the changes take place on any phase could be too much to keep track of.  i would suggest setting the personality at the end of the upkeep phase, and keep it until the next upkeep phase.

I think giving Albert the ability of different investigators depending on his Sanity is a great idea. However, there is one problem with his wording; if he is on 5 Sanity, he can't go lower with his ability, because the loss would be reduced by Harvey's ability. Either change it to "pay 1 Sanity" or better yet, put Harvey in the 1 Sanity slot. I also wouldn't use Carolyn because she more or less copies his other ability. I would consider Darrell or Ashcan Pete instead.

pittplayer said:

you can do anything you want, you could make a series of Poo Fighters!! if you wanted or make a team of the Golden Girls!! whatever!! but if you are going to post characters on the board expect other people to comment and i think a lame idea is 100 times better then a stolen idea. That is just me. If you want we could just not comment on on peoples characters cause no one does that right, The corinthian? I just dont know who would ever comment on someones character........

I agree, I just through him together using the Eon template.  But here is Bill updated.  What do you think about him now? 

bill%20cutting.png

I gave him Double Vision because he has a Glass eye.  I do need some help on wording the special ability though so any input is appreciated.

and here is another character from Gangs of New York.

Amsterdam-Vallon-Front-Side.png

I'm not very interested in playing non-cannonical characters in my games,  but i like the abilities people come up with to support those characters.  Trying to fit a pre-developed characters abilities into the rules of the game world makes for some interesting results.

DeepSix said:

I'm not very interested in playing non-cannonical characters in my games,  but i like the abilities people come up with to support those characters.  Trying to fit a pre-developed characters abilities into the rules of the game world makes for some interesting results.

I agree using characters from movies kind of distracts from the game so I suppose you could make the exact character with abilities just use a different picture and name.

I like your Fortune Teller and the Picture is beautiful.  I was thinking for the Fortune Teller ability maybe she could choose to put the card she looked at with glimpse of the future on the bottom of the deck.  That would fit with telling the future.

DeepSix said:

I am taking your advice and creating characters that people might like to use.  Here is my first one.

Franklin-Patterson-Front-Side.png

Problem is, there is no discard pile in Arkham Horror. Discarded cards go to the bottom of their respective piles. You'll have to think about something else.

Ok, i wasn't aware they went to the bottom.  Here are some Lovecraft inspired characters.  Although I suspect Crawford my be a little too powerful? 

This is from "The Statement of Randolph Carter" 

Randolph-Carter-Front-Side.png

The story is about him and his partner going to the graveyard to unearth a tomb.  The partner gets trapped down in there and Randolph must close the tomb to keep the monster from getting out.  That is why I gave him the Aura Blast ability to simulate closing off the tomb.  Each item he starts with refers to items he has when going to the graveyard and he mentions that he is skilled at languages in the story.

This Guy is from the story "From Beyond" and the picture is from the movie if anyone has seen it.  I wanted to give him the "changed" card because he goes to the other dimension then comes back changed, however, Strange eons did not have this card so I made it cost $16 ($8 for each bonus to max sanity and stamina)  I hope that balances it out ok.

Crawford-Tillinghast-Front-Side.png

Randolph Carter - I'm not so keen on Aura Blast. Gate Bursts are very dangerous but also quite rare, and it seems like it wouldn't be too much of a sacrifice for Randolph to prevent them all for a whole game. If his Lore track was 0-3 it would be a different matter, but that wouldn't make much sense for the character. So I reckon just scrap the ability. Plus, my usual point about skill-check abilities: why is it a skill check? Making it into a skill check doesn't mean it will 'sometimes' work; if anything, quite the opposite, because it's trivial for the investigator to decide whether he wants to be prepared or not.

You can get away with scrapping 'Aura Blast' because 'Frantic Search' is such a great idea (although it should say "Any Phase: Once per turn..." rather than just "Once per turn:"). It's easily powerful enough and distinctive enough to be the character's only ability; look at how simple and elegant the original investigators' powers are.  It might even be a bit too powerful since you could use it on the Mythos deck every turn, but even then the temptation to use it on other decks would be huge, and like with the other team-based abilities (Researcher and Expedition Leader, mainly) you often end up wishing you'd saved the ability for later in the turn. It needs playtesting but I think it's probably very cool.

(There are a few other minor issues with Frantic Search: it would allow him to meddle with decks which don't work in the usual way. For example, he could take a green corruption card and put it under the red corruptions, or a green Epic Battle card under the reds. I don't think this would seriously break the game, but it's worth bearing in mind. It would also completely nerf the 'Next Act Begins' thing because if you were working your mojo on the Mythos deck every turn, you could almost certainly filter out the Acts).

Also, give him fewer fixed items. Fixed Lantern is pointless, fixed Skill is just a bit frustrating. It feels like you're trying too hard to dictate a characterful set of items, which would frustrate a player who drew the character at random and wanted to do something else. So I reckon it's worth cutting down on the fixed stuff and giving an extra few dollars/clues. If in doubt, always err on the side of letting the player customize the character him or herself. The fixed Exhibit item is quite cool but the Book of Anubis is a very special high-end item. Some other unique tome instead? That way, Randolph would be base-game-usable, too.

Crawford Tillinghast - Admirable intentions, but isn't this guy basically almost the same as the Dreamer? He may have slightly different stats/items, but he'd be good for the same stuff, and you'd probably want to use him in a very similar way. He needs something else which sharply distinguishes him from the Dreamer.

thanks corinthian.  I had not heard of the dreamer so I didn't make crawford resemble him on purpose.  I will make the adjustments as I do agree with you.  For the fixed items I was just trying to be loyal to the story but I see your point about defining the character too much.  I am working on a "The Hound" inspired character.  The main character robs a grave and steals a cursed amulet.  He is then chased by a Hound.  I was thinking all the Monsters could move toward him as if they had "Stalker" but I haven't thought of a good Plus ability yet.  Have you read that story?  Maybe instead of drawing three unique items, he could search for any item he wanted to purchase. (to simulate graverobbing)

Also, besides paying sanity/stamina, what are some other good sacrifices a character could make instead of doing a skill check?  If I made it so he sacrificed all of his sanity or stamina would that be bad enough to off balance the ability to prevent a gate burst?

@ivorytower, hey i love your lovecraft inspired characters!!! keep them coming!!! if i may make a request, how bout a character from The Festival, namely the guy who lives in the house who has the necronomicon and a false face and leads the main character down into the tunnels?? I am sure you have read that story. Anyhoo thanks for the great work and keep them coming!