Sign in to follow this  
squash

Stormtroopers with Targeting Scopes?

I'm sorry if this was already asked and answered, I did some searches but those search terms only come up with preview article discussion.

Is there any point at all giving Stormtroopers Targeting Scopes? Does Precise 1 + Precise 1 = Precise 2, or do they not stack because they aren't a weapon keyword?

Edited by squash

9 minutes ago, squash said:

I'm sorry if this was already asked and answered, I did some searches but those search terms only come up with preview article discussion.

Is there any point at all giving Stormtroopers Targeting Scopes? Does Precise 1 + Precise 1 = Precise 2, or do they not stack because they aren't a weapon keyword?

Yes, they stack.

My take on this is that weapons cards stack, but upgrade and character abilities don't. However, the upgrade and character abilities all seem to have a trigger, so when you hit the trigger for Targeting Scopes and the Stormtroopers ability you will trigger and resolve the first effect and then the second.

Waiting on a few clarifications with the rules...

...but even assuming they're allowed, they're probably not much good.

If you need hits: you need at least 4 misses for the scope to do anything (which will get rarer as the squad gets smaller), plus you need to be able to spare an order to aim. Then you'll only ever re-roll a white dice (you can't have more than 3 non-white misses with Stormies).

So *if* you're aiming, *and* you miss at least 4 times, you'll get 3/8ths of an extra hit.

If you need crits: more reliably useful than with hits - that is, you'll often have 4+ non-crits. Even so, that's 1/8th of an extra crit sometimes.

Personally, I think it's going to be rare I don't have something better to spend 6 points on.

article smarticle, the guys that write the articles have rarely even read the rules, much less, have played the game.

unfortunately, we probably have to wait for the first FAQ

honestly, I think the upgrades are pretty useless so far (climbing gear, scopes, comms and commlink all seem very situational and almost useless for most of the units.  Speederbikes maybe could use something if you have the points leftover. I've had Luke use the scopes on his lightsaber in the starter game, but I probably wouldn't waste points in a real game)

Edited by buckero0

2 hours ago, KraydKaflar said:

Well their article on the atst said Weiss gives the vehicle arsenal 2 which stacks with the atst's arsenal 2 to give it arsenal 4 so I think this applies the same way.

We know that’s their intention, the point people are making is that the rules don’t actually have any text to have that occur. It’s only the articles.

Clearly Weiss is meant to stack, while else have him? It will take FFG a good six months before a good rule set is in place. A game's release, a game's beta, all the same thing for FFG.

5 hours ago, buckero0 said:

article smarticle, the guys that write the articles have rarely even read the rules, much less, have played the game.

honestly, I think the upgrades are pretty useless so far (climbing gear, scopes, comms and commlink all seem very situational and almost useless for most of the units.  Speederbikes maybe could use something if you have the points leftover. I've had Luke use the scopes on his lightsaber in the starter game, but I probably wouldn't waste points in a real game)

Grappling Hooks will be pretty metagame dependant. If your metamage leans toward dense uban areas and cliff faces (like one board I saw based on Rogue One), paying 3 points for grappling hooks is a steel. A group that relies more on area terrain and barricades oh the other hand won't get much use out of them.

Targeting scopes is interesting on dice heavy units like Storm trooper missile teams, Z-6 rebel troopers, and likely flamethrower Snow Troopers. It's the sort of upgrade that will get more valuable the larger your units get. Veers will also make it more valuable by providing more Aim Tokens.

Comms Jammer is a bit of a wild card right now. It remains to be seen how easy getting a unit with Comms Jammer in range of a critical unit (And keeping it there, if you're a speeder) will be. Still, forcing your opponent to rely on luck to activate their AT-ST when they want to instead of getting to do so right away will be great when it works.

Long- range Commlink is probably the most situational, especially since Battle Meditation and Commanding Presence are the same price.

Scopes on everything with Veers handing out Aim tokens and rerolling 4 dice. 

Scopes are a 6 point insurance policy for when your dice fail you. At .75% of your army total, that's a very good investment to take. And remember they work on all types of attacks troopers can make. Range weapon, heavy weapon, grenades, melee.