Jump to content
Boba Rick

Openers

Recommended Posts

I guess it all depends on:

the list you brought-aces, flankers, jousters, alpha strikers,  etc, ranged abilities present or not...

obstacles, what kind and where

Where the other guy is putting his ships

what the other list is

if you are going to do something the first round reguardless of what the other guy does.

 

this all goes back to Turn Zero.  Necessarily any talk on the subject will be general advice vs very very specific strategies based on one list at a time.  

 

And there’s much more experienced players than I am to listen to... do why are you reading this?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fly an Imperial Alpha using Quickdraw Vader and a Rhoboat.

Quick and Vader roll slowly roll to the engage while the Rhoboat slams to get behind the enemy formation.

90% of the time my opponent ends the engagement turn with 3 Harpoons on the back of the target ship, of which at least 1 has detonated since Quickdraw had ASTS.

my 2 cents.

 

And yeah the thread had a great potential @Boba Rick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

this thread had so much potential. @Boba Rick, you had a great idea, I'm sorry that there is apparently no interest in talking about such interesting topics on this forum

Honestly, it's SUCH a broad topic and so heavily related to what you're flying and what they're flying that it really doesn't make much sense to have a single topic about opening moves.  Maybe about opening moves with a particular squad.

There have definitely been squads in the past where I've had a specific opening moveset, but there aren't any in particular at the moment I can think of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Honestly, it's SUCH a broad topic and so heavily related to what you're flying and what they're flying that it really doesn't make much sense to have a single topic about opening moves.  Maybe about opening moves with a particular squad.

There have definitely been squads in the past where I've had a specific opening moveset, but there aren't any in particular at the moment I can think of.

My squad and I have no moves, no game and no class, definitely no coordinated openers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh come on! „To be fair“? „Honestly“ ?!

The question is „What are your openers?“

Yes it is an open question, but that is a pitiful rationalization for the spam galore that occured after.

What are your openers?

Here are some templates:

“I don‘t have a general opener with my current squad. My general plan is X, and here is the thought process I go through.“

“My usual opener is X based on the idea Y“

“It depends on the opponent. Against the current boogeyman I have to do X, so I try to open with Y. But most games I can do Z.“

Yes it is an open question, but maybe you could all try to answer what he‘s asking and we could get some actual, thoughtful discussion. What a novelty on this forum that would be!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

Oh come on! „To be fair“? „Honestly“ ?!

The question is „What are your openers?“

Yes it is an open question, but that is a pitiful rationalization for the spam galore that occured after.

What are your openers?

Here are some templates:

“I don‘t have a general opener with my current squad. My general plan is X, and here is the thought process I go through.“

“My usual opener is X based on the idea Y“

“It depends on the opponent. Against the current boogeyman I have to do X, so I try to open with Y. But most games I can do Z.“

Yes it is an open question, but maybe you could all try to answer what he‘s asking and we could get some actual, thoughtful discussion. What a novelty on this forum that would be!

Untighten your pants dude.

I provided both amusing and informative responses to the questions. Enough people are giving useful information now that it isn't just silliness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

Oh come on! „To be fair“? „Honestly“ ?!

The question is „What are your openers?“

Yes it is an open question, but that is a pitiful rationalization for the spam galore that occured after.

What are your openers?

Here are some templates:

“I don‘t have a general opener with my current squad. My general plan is X, and here is the thought process I go through.“

“My usual opener is X based on the idea Y“

“It depends on the opponent. Against the current boogeyman I have to do X, so I try to open with Y. But most games I can do Z.“

Yes it is an open question, but maybe you could all try to answer what he‘s asking and we could get some actual, thoughtful discussion. What a novelty on this forum that would be!

Be the change you want to see in the world.

If you want an informative and meaningful discussion about opening moves, make a thread about it which has an original post with a decent chunk of text in it framing the discussion you're looking for.

The OP of this one was literally 5 words, including the thread title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have quite an aggressive play style. So I guess I try and move in firing distance fast enough.
If I can win a frontal joust, then full speed forward. If I can't, I just use "rule of 11" to know what maximum speed I can reach without being shot at in the first round, then work on some block for the next round;
being outjousted generally means the other player has ordnance and a better PS, so then if I don't have ordnance, go to R1, and if I do, move at R3 to get TL (in either case, while getting a fast ship forward to block and deny TLs).
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

I guess it all depends on:

the list you brought-aces, flankers, jousters, alpha strikers,  etc, ranged abilities present or not...

obstacles, what kind and where

Where the other guy is putting his ships

what the other list is

if you are going to do something the first round reguardless of what the other guy does.

 

this all goes back to Turn Zero.  Necessarily any talk on the subject will be general advice vs very very specific strategies based on one list at a time.  

 

And there’s much more experienced players than I am to listen to... do why are you reading this?  

What he said.

I have a different set up and open in pretty much every match depending on what each of us is flying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dave Grant said:

I mostly play Imo Aces. I Generally spread out and end up trying to approach from several directions at once. 

 

I also enjoy being at weird angles. I find it helps equalise a little vs more experienced players who are used to playing at 90 or 45 deg :-). 

I agree. Coming in at different angles make my opponent think  just a little bit out of his comfort zone. (At least that's my thinking).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious version, with the squads I've been loving lately:

1. Rainbow Cannon TIE/D: I'm almost surely placing first at PS 1 deltas, and I'll fan out a bit.  I'll try to put Flechette in the most vulnerable position (they're the one I'm most willing to lose), and perhaps tractor in the middle, since that one sets up for all the other ships.  Then, I'll try to react and collapse for a killbox on my opponent depending on where they've deployed.  I personally don't think flying in a tight formation really suits them.  Having a big wide area where three Defenders can K-Turn doesn't really seem to happen for me too much, particularly at low PS (so you've really got to draw someone in to get range to K-Turn behind them).  However, if I've come in at a Nym from three angles, I feel like that leaves more options and ways to keep all guns on the same target.

2. Poe, Fenn, WE/M9-G8 Braylen: I'll put Braylen generally about 1/3 or 2/3 of the way through the map with the most open area available, since he's pretty low PS.  Poe and Fenn come in within range 3 (so Braylen can lock them first turn, although I usually switch at least one lock to an opponent's ship ASAP), depending on opponent's placement.  I haven't usually tried too hard for a flank with Poe, but I guess it depends on setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SDCC said:

Untighten your pants dude.

I provided both amusing and informative responses to the questions. Enough people are giving useful information now that it isn't just silliness.

Gee, I wonder where the sudden change is coming from...

2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

If you want an informative and meaningful discussion about opening moves, make a thread about it which has an original post with a decent chunk of text in it framing the discussion you're looking for.

The OP of this one was literally 5 words, including the thread title.

I had the second answer in this thread, explaining in detail how I set up. I edited it after two pages if silly jokes, making it clear what is more interesting to people even after seeing that example. The word filter sucks though and a mod saw it necessary to remove the post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

OK?

The thread title was also misspelled, so it's more like 4.5 words when all's said and done.

Boba Rick, I believe, wasn't looking for detailed analysis, more the broad strokes of an opening gambit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Ah right, you‘re that kind of person

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  You had a post that was deleted.

Yay you?

Like I said earlier, I'm more than happy to contribute to a thread that actually has a meaningful amount of discussion and effort in its OP, in a serious way.  This is not that thread.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Gee, I wonder where the sudden change is coming from...

I had the second answer in this thread, explaining in detail how I set up. I edited it after two pages if silly jokes, making it clear what is more interesting to people even after seeing that example. The word filter sucks though and a mod saw it necessary to remove the post

Passive aggression isn't super helpful, and neither is complaining without proposing solutions.

I love rhetorical questions personally, but one should think about how one presents oneself. It contributes to a less toxic environment if people don't feel attacked for following the ebb and flow of the thread.

Is it that detrimental to allow people to make comedic comments? Has the community not following the original intent negatively impacted you? Do you take gaming very seriously? I ask these questions to understand the root of your objection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Openers? Hard to go past Adam Gilchrist and Mathew Hayden. Good times :)

 

Image result for Adam gilchrist gif

 

Edit;

But to show I can do serious. even if only briefly, my opening moves very much depend on what I'm flying and what I'm facing. I don't get too retentive about obstacle placement, but I do try to set up some paths/channels for my ships to travel down. I really SHOULD practice that a bit more, as I usually end up clipping my own bloody rocks... :P  (that's what you get for not getting enough games in).

Edited by Rat of Vengence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Like I said earlier, I'm more than happy to contribute to a thread that actually has a meaningful amount of discussion and effort in its OP, in a serious way.  This is not that thread.

It could have been. Then again, this thread demonstrated that no, actually it can‘t be in this forum.

29 minutes ago, Yakostovian said:

Passive aggression isn't super helpful, and neither is complaining without proposing solutions.

I love rhetorical questions personally, but one should think about how one presents oneself. It contributes to a less toxic environment if people don't feel attacked for following the ebb and flow of the thread.

Is it that detrimental to allow people to make comedic comments? Has the community not following the original intent negatively impacted you? Do you take gaming very seriously? I ask these questions to understand the root of your objection.

Yes, it is detrimental to derail every **** thread - and I‘m well aware that am doing the same now, but don‘t worry, this is my final note.

It has negatively impacted me by being a real eye opener.

I don‘t take gaming very seriously, but I take the principle of charity seriously. But apparently users here prefer to take an open question to beat dead horses instead of generating content. 

 

I‘m out, this is absolutely not worth my time, nor the effort put into replies, or into my **** scripts and graphs. You guys keep having fun with the nerf harpoon threads, sightings of at least 80% GhostFenn lists, or whatever misinformed opinion is the flavor of the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreenDragoon said:

It could have been. Then again, this thread demonstrated that no, actually it can‘t be in this forum.

I disagree.  This thread demonstrated that when you make a low-effort four word OP with a misspelled title, people will tend not to engage with it in a meaningful way.  Heck, it's not actually 100% clear if what was being asked for was opening turns, obstacle setup, or even just how to introduce yourself and your list at games.

Make an opening post that actually makes a decent effort at putting together a point and asking clearly for opinions, and you'll get decent discussion.

Make a four word non-post, and you'll get jokes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

I disagree.  This thread demonstrated that when you make a low-effort four word OP with a misspelled title, people will tend not to engage with it in a meaningful way.  Heck, it's not actually 100% clear if what was being asked for was opening turns, obstacle setup, or even just how to introduce yourself and your list at games.

Make an opening post that actually makes a decent effort at putting together a point and asking clearly for opinions, and you'll get decent discussion.

Make a four word non-post, and you'll get jokes.

 

I'm good with the jokes and like them.

You sound a tad snarky.  If I ask "What are your openers?" in a forum that is about X-Wing, why do I need to say more?  What difference does it make that it was misspelled?  Everyone understood the idea.

Sure, maybe I could have said "If you're flying trip-Defenders and your opponent has Boba/Asajj how to you open?  But then all the answers would have been about THAT situation, and that's not what I was looking for.  It was an open-ended question, and yes - so open-ended that it resulted in a lot of pretty funny jokes. 

 

Here's mine:

 

I look at the other guys list and determine who I think has the best jousting advantage.  If I do, I spread the obstacles out as much as I can and try to fly straight for him.  If not, I try to put them tighter in (but not too tight) and keep the obstacles between myself and him, hoping (and rarely succeeding) that somehow this will result in an advantage I can make use of.  Lately I've been flying QD, a Delta, and Vynder - so most of the time I fly QD and the defender right at him and SLAM like a madman around the rest of the mat in an attempt to flank and get behind (hopefully) a lower PS victim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

 

I'm good with the jokes and like them.

You sound a tad snarky.  If I ask "What are your openers?" in a forum that is about X-Wing, why do I need to say more?  What difference does it make that it was misspelled?  Everyone understood the idea.

Sure, maybe I could have said "If you're flying trip-Defenders and your opponent has Boba/Asajj how to you open?  But then all the answers would have been about THAT situation, and that's not what I was looking for.  It was an open-ended question, and yes - so open-ended that it resulted in a lot of pretty funny jokes. 

 

Here's mine:

 

I look at the other guys list and determine who I think has the best jousting advantage.  If I do, I spread the obstacles out as much as I can and try to fly straight for him.  If not, I try to put them tighter in (but not too tight) and keep the obstacles between myself and him, hoping (and rarely succeeding) that somehow this will result in an advantage I can make use of.  Lately I've been flying QD, a Delta, and Vynder - so most of the time I fly QD and the defender right at him and SLAM like a madman around the rest of the mat in an attempt to flank and get behind (hopefully) a lower PS victim.

Including this in your OP would probably have been enough to prompt discussion rather than jokes.

It makes it clear what you mean and makes it clear that you've actually invested some effort in your thread and as a result, might be inclined to invest some effort in the subsequent discussion.

But I stand by my point: when the opening post is THAT broad, the only meaningful answer is 'it depends on the situation'.  Because the opening with a TIE Swarm and the opening with RAC/Vader arte going to be very different, and the opening versus Dash/Poe is going to be very different from the opening versus Palp/Aces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...