Boba Rick

Openers

9 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I've seen a grown man tear an A-Wing expansion open with his teeth.

I can only assume his dentist told him to never play X-Wing again... 

I usually have to use my Swiss Army Knife to get those annoying little blister packs open. It's why I can handle the added cost of more and more things coming in boxes lately. 

(Plus I like it when I can recycle half of the packaging materials and pretend I'm an environmentalist)

6 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Nope, I'm in the UK.  It's good to know that players are just as desperate for access to their A-Wings* on the other side of the world, though!

*Or maybe it's Push the Limit.  Sweet, sweet, Push the Limit.

I'd rather buy imp aces for that, two interceptors and some nice stuff, additionally shrink wrap>blister packaging

Nope, I'm in the UK.  It's good to know that players are just as desperate for access to their A-Wings* on the other side of the world, though!

I'd rather buy imp aces for that, two interceptors and some nice stuff, additionally shrink wrap>blister packaging

54 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Sorry, Triple post! wifi issues :( 

Edited by CMDR Ytterium

5 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

PSA: To easily open an X-Wing expansion pack, take a sharp knife and carefully cut down one edge of the back panel.  Peel it back, and you're good to go.

nope, must rip open like a neanderthal. nothing will get in the way of my addictions. not even the need to buy food for the family,. 

2 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

nope, must rip open like a neanderthal. nothing will get in the way of my addictions. not even the need to buy food for the family,. 

I can confirm that there's something uniquely satisfying about the Neanderthal style of pack opening. I don't like the idea of hunting as a sport, so I must express my manliness and ability to provide for myself by dismembering the packaging for various game products I've bought. 

1 minute ago, Kieransi said:

I can confirm that there's something uniquely satisfying about the Neanderthal style of pack opening. I don't like the idea of hunting as a sport, so I must express my manliness and ability to provide for myself by dismembering the packaging for various game products I've bought. 

must rip open and get at the sweet sweet star wars inside. 

5 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

PSA: To easily open an X-Wing expansion pack, take a sharp knife and carefully cut down one edge of the back panel.  Peel it back, and you're good to go.

Box cutters work much better than steak knives, just saying.

Someone told me that a plastic bit couldn't be ripped, because "It's plastic"  Fortunately, I had my X-wing experience to prove them wrong.  No packaging can stop me from getting Defenders.

As for setup, I place my ships somewhat close together, then slowroll (Or, if running aces, run away form each other).

26 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

this thread had so much potential. @Boba Rick, you had a great idea, I'm sorry that there is apparently no interest in talking about such interesting topics on this forum

I like my internet reading to go amusing nonsense 3 or 4 times, then interesting information, then back. Often it can be just stupid nonsense and odd bits of interest. Sometimes it can skip the interesting. This one is the 1st for me :)

I don't understand how people can set up their ships far apart and not have them blown up one by one. So I put them all in a corner, fly forward and maybe get one of theirs before I have them blown up one by one.

Would appreciate more openers.

Okay, because I like @GreenDragoon, I'll made a legitimate attempt to answer a very very broad topic.

(1) If I'm flying range-dependent synergistic ships, I set up in an appropriate formation.  I almost always try to set up, if I'm out-PSed, in a place where on the first turn I can either duck for cover or putter forward slowly, looking for information.  On those rare occasions when (I believe) my opponent has made himself vulnerable in deployment, I may max move, trying to close distance and take advantage.  I'll also often do so if my opponent is packing Rey crew ... depending on just how bad my position would end up being by rushing, compared with how much trouble I'm in if my opponent stacks more than a couple of focus tokens.

(2) If I'm flying reasonably fast non-synergistic ships (range-wise), I tend to set up in a spread formation, and come out fast, trusting in my hard-won ability to maneuver, bob, weave, and so on into the engagement with all guns on target.  By doing this, I'm forcing my opponent to chose which ship(s) he wants to flank him or her ... and if my ships are maneuverable enough, then I can use those he goes for as bait, and get unanswered shots.  This is how I nearly always fly Brobots.

I still use the pinwheel formation or the Finger 4 and set up off center and then roll up at speed 2 or 3. I'll sometimes fly a ship "foolishly" to bait them while the others are getting into position.

If I need to bank focus tokens, or I want to bide my time, I'll fly along my deployment zone, pointed at a neutral edge. This is especially good to do if your opponent seems the impatient type. Often they'll try to fly through obstacles, placing one of their ships out one it's own, with little or no support from the other ships.

To seriously answer the question, if I see my opponent flying a JM5K, I set up against my right hand edge without fail.

I don't think I've flown anything but 3 ships in any kind of serious list, and it's usually 1 ship distance width minimum between them. I have flown scum far more often than I ever thought I would, but you can thank Fenn Rau for that. I usually place my faster ship on the outside board edge, and my progressively slower ships inboard of that one. 

I mostly play Imo Aces. I Generally spread out and end up trying to approach from several directions at once. 

I also enjoy being at weird angles. I find it helps equalise a little vs more experienced players who are used to playing at 90 or 45 deg :-). 

Edited by Dave Grant