JadinED

Something Super-Duper Big Is Comin'...

Did anyone hear someone say that something Super-Duper Big was coming? I wasn't at GenCon and merely saw the live-stream, but I distinctly remember a half-hearted one-liner - the oldest, the lamest, the most meagre of all promotional lines in the book. "Something big is coming." He could have just as well shouted "come one, come all," before.

Well... something big did in fact come, i.e. Wave VII, the wave to make big ships great again.

Nevertheless, I also distinctly remember thread about point increases, the Death Star and - as of yesterday - the what feels like the twenty-seventh thread about the Executor.

Putting it mildly... I think that's a bit of a reach...

1 minute ago, JadinED said:

Did anyone hear someone say that something Super-Duper Big was coming? I wasn't at GenCon and merely saw the live-stream, but I distinctly remember a half-hearted one-liner - the oldest, the lamest, the most meagre of all promotional lines in the book. "Something big is coming." He could have just as well shouted "come one, come all," before.

Well... something big did in fact come, i.e. Wave VII, the wave to make big ships great again.

Nevertheless, I also distinctly remember thread about point increases, the Death Star and - as of yesterday - the what feels like the twenty-seventh thread about the Executor.

Putting it mildly... I think that's a bit of a reach...

They were just asked the question at GAMA and said that Wave 7 was not the "something big" they mentioned last year.

Which implies that something big is still yet to come - and they were so reluctant to mention any further details they said "I think I've already said too much" - which implies that whatever it is... it's likely something different than we've seen before, so probably not just a wave of new ships.   Something.......   how shall I put it......   

... Big. 

I sure do hope it's "super duper" big, I would hate to think we waited all this time just for some flotilla on flotilla nonsense. Clearly it's going to be the SSD, as big as the table for realism and requiring people to play on a 3 x 24 foot table. 

Super duper. 

Seriously though, my guess is it's either 1) the SSD 2) a new faction. I'm leaning toward the first because imo there just isn't enough out there for a real third faction w/out digging into legends(which I FULLY support) but I "doubt" the mouse(AKA: He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named) will be ok with that.  

7 minutes ago, Crabbok said:

Which implies that something big is still yet to come - and they were so reluctant to mention any further details they said "I think I've already said too much" - which implies that whatever it is... it's likely something different than we've seen before, so probably not just a wave of new ships.   Something.......   how shall I put it......   

... Big. 

You're uncurable!!!! ;)

Edited by Don Henderson fan club
spelling

36 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

They were just asked the question at GAMA and said that Wave 7 was not the "something big" they mentioned last year.

34 minutes ago, Crabbok said:

Which implies that something big is still yet to come [...] Something.......   how shall I put it......   

... Big. 

All right... I missed that. Sorry for implying things got overhyped... My bad, Crabbock. Sorry... Please one and all go right ahead speculating about the Executor. 

... ... ...

I hope it still fits Feldheer's Hobby Transporter.

Feldherr-LBXL02-TRA-Hobby-Transporter---

Feldherr-LBXL02-TRA-Hobby-Transporter---

https://www.feldherr.net/hobby-transporter-2-storage-box-xl-empty-bundle/a-56341/

Edited by JadinED

33 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

Seriously though, my guess is it's either 1) the SSD 2) a new faction. I'm leaning toward the first because imo there just isn't enough out there for a real third faction w/out digging into legends

I wouldn't hate on a third faction.  The game could use it, as evidence by X-Wing, it brings a new dynamic to tournaments and new/interesting play styles.

There are a few options for capital-ship-wielding factions:

1. Civilians/generics (canon)
    ...IMHO, unlikely.  While there are a HUGE number of civilian/cartel/etc ships that fit the Armada-'small'-base-size, nevermind squadrons (also see X-Wing), there very few 'medium'-base-size, and no 'large' that I'm aware of.  And all are poor combat platforms.
  2. Corporate Sector Authority (canon...-ish)
    Mentioned in canon, now, several times - but only in passing.  So it exists, although whether it's the same size/scale as in the EU Han Solo novels?  Who knows!  Theoretically, this would be a great place to dump old Clone Wars-era ships (in the old EU, they did use Clone Wars-era designs, although Legends-versions...so the Victory-class and Dreadnoughts, and various other now-Legends Clone Wars-era ships...this wouldn't be THAT hard to update for the ships we "now know" to be from that period).  Bonus: uses some of the existing ships we already have, from both factions, so can (like X-Wing's initial "Scum and Villainy" release) include a number of base tiles and ship cards to immediately re-use existing retail kit.
  3. Separatist Remnants (canon)
    The 'Rebels' series even explicitly reveals that a Droid army managed to survive into the GCW era.  Presumably, non-Droid-based Separatist factions may also endure in the Outer Rim even easier, so these should/could exist.
  4. Yuuzhan Vong (Legends)
    Yeah, this is the most awful idea.  Probably the most likely.  Assuming Disney allows it, anyway - it has a lot of things that MARKETING and GAME STORES would want.  IE., the widest variety of ships, the biggest difference from the other factions aesthetically, the most significant difference in play style, it's got that whole 'Chaos God' vibe to it that so many big-miniature-spenders seem to borderline fetishize, etc.
  5. Misc Legends - Ssi-Ruuk, Hapes Consortium, etc (Legends, obvi)
    Another 'would Disney allow it' thing.  Not as likely as #4, IMHO, just because there is a lack of unity to the ships, and a lot of them would make very little sense to fly together in a single fleet, and many of these are very OLD EU material (while the Vong are certainly 'more current').  OTOH - less hated by certain fans than the Vong, and nearly all of these stories can be made to work with current-canon (while the Vong plainly cannot as those stories contradict it too explicitly and extensively).
  6. The Purgill! (canon)
    Ummmm....no comment.

9 minutes ago, xanderf said:

I wouldn't hate on a third faction.  The game could use it, as evidence by X-Wing, it brings a new dynamic to tournaments and new/interesting play styles.

...IMHO, unlikely.  While there are a HUGE number of civilian/cartel/etc ships that fit the Armada-'small'-base-size, nevermind squadrons (also see X-Wing), there very few 'medium'-base-size, and no 'large' that I'm aware of.  And all are poor combat platforms.
    Mentioned in canon, now, several times - but only in passing.  So it exists, although whether it's the same size/scale as in the EU Han Solo novels?  Who knows!  Theoretically, this would be a great place to dump old Clone Wars-era ships (in the old EU, they did use Clone Wars-era designs, although Legends-versions...so the Victory-class and Dreadnoughts, and various other now-Legends Clone Wars-era ships...this wouldn't be THAT hard to update for the ships we "now know" to be from that period).  Bonus: uses some of the existing ships we already have, from both factions, so can (like X-Wing's initial "Scum and Villainy" release) include a number of base tiles and ship cards to immediately re-use existing retail kit.
    The 'Rebels' series even explicitly reveals that a Droid army managed to survive into the GCW era.  Presumably, non-Droid-based Separatist factions may also endure in the Outer Rim even easier, so these should/could exist.
    Yeah, this is the most awful idea.  Probably the most likely.  Assuming Disney allows it, anyway - it has a lot of things that MARKETING and GAME STORES would want.  IE., the widest variety of ships, the biggest difference from the other factions aesthetically, the most significant difference in play style, it's got that whole 'Chaos God' vibe to it that so many big-miniature-spenders seem to borderline fetishize, etc.
    Another 'would Disney allow it' thing.  Not as likely as #4, IMHO, just because there is a lack of unity to the ships, and a lot of them would make very little sense to fly together in a single fleet, and many of these are very OLD EU material (while the Vong are certainly 'more current').  OTOH - less hated by certain fans than the Vong, and nearly all of these stories can be made to work with current-canon (while the Vong plainly cannot as those stories contradict it too explicitly and extensively).
  6. The Purgill! (canon)
    Ummmm....no comment.

What about Scum? Empires at war had a scum faction in the Forces of Corruption Expansion. X-Wing has a scum faction. IA has a scum faction. It could happen. 

Okay, okay. Put down your pitchforks and torches. I know this argument has flaired up before, and I’m not wanting to see it start again here. Just wanted to point out it was as likely as the others, (that being not very)

6 minutes ago, xanderf said:

6. The Purgill! (canon)
    Ummmm....no comment.

Oh I'm not saying I don't want it, just that I don't see anything that would indicate it. 

1) I hope not, scum work "fine" on a squadron level but really fall apart in ship level. 

2) Eh, I'm not sure they would different "enough" from rebels or imperials to be worth it. Reminds me too much of this weird "I want the Republic/First order" thing people keep talking about. Why not just add the ships, it's the same faction. 

3) this is the one I'd most like to see but mostly because I love super battle droids, they seem "different" enough to work. 

4) I'm actually interested in the Vong too but SW fans seem to HATE them with a passion, though i like their bio ships and it would be easy to make their ships dramatically different than the current(I think it would be awesome if their ships didn't have shields but had WAY more hull and auto healed 1 per round).

5) seems like a scum related mess, I'd rather it not exist or if it did come in similar to the new mandalorian fighters

6) no. no. no. 

1 minute ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

What about Scum? Empires at war had a scum faction in the Forces of Corruption Expansion. X-Wing has a scum faction. IA has a scum faction. It could happen. 

Okay, okay. Put down your pitchforks and torches. I know this argument has flaired up before, and I’m not wanting to see it start again here. Just wanted to point out it was as likely as the others, (that being not very)

I think "1)" is his scum faction. note the "cartel" part. 

Edited by dominosfleet

13 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

4) I'm actually interested in the Vong too but SW fans seem to HATE them with a passion, though i like their bio ships and it would be easy to make their ships dramatically different than the current(I think it would be awesome if their ships didn't have shields but had WAY more hull and auto healed 1 per round).

5) seems like a scum related mess, I'd rather it not exist or if it did come in similar to the new mandalorian fighters

The other interesting thing about these two is that they'd be the only way I realistically see us getting more "Experimental Retrofits", outside of FFG just making something up whole-cloth for the Rebels.  Canonically, the Rebellion never fielded an interdiction-field-equipped ship (or anything particularly "experimental").

The Vong (#4) have their 'dovin basals' that could do all kinds of bizarre stuff, including pulling ships out of hyperspace.  And the Hapans (#5) have their 'pulsemass generator' that acted sort of like a hyperspace minefield, resulting in basically the same effect on a battle in progress (IE., it didn't pull ships out of hyperspace, per se, but did prevent ships in a battle from jumping to hyperspace until the field dissipated).

The key thing, of course, is...what do STORES want?  It does nobody any good if the new faction isn't exciting/different enough from a pure 'miniature game' marketing perspective to move retail units.  This is sort of why the Vong may be the most 'likely'...assuming Disney allows it.  They just have the most potential for 'cool, weird-looking, new thing on the shelf' that might bring new audiences to Armada...and that's really the thing a store wants to see.  Their priorities are basically #1) What would get me more sales? ...followed very closely by #2) What gets me new customers buying this that hadn't bought before?

Edited by xanderf