Jump to content
Crabbok

As we surpass "Legion Week"...

Recommended Posts

... we enter new territory. 

 

  Legion launches this week.   Why does that matter for Armada?  Well - we are FINALLY getting into this new free and open space where they can step it up with the new product reveals!  We still have "Something big" coming - hinted at all the way back at Gencon 2017 - which HAS to be coming soon - because honestly, if we still don't have it by NEXT Gencon - (Which is actually only like 5 or so months away), that'll be strange.  And lets assume that this something BIG, I'll just called it "Codename Executor, for short", is coming - I'd bet it'll be a standalone release.   Also - that would leave room for Wave 8.  Hoping for Venators and Dornean Gunships to be honest.  

 

  And.... there's also the possibility of Wave 8 having more than just 2 ships.   In theory we COULD always get a 4 ship wave again.   So maybe Venator / Carrion Spike - Dornean / AFmk1 ?  

 

We COULD end up seeing new announcements as early as this coming Friday!  I'm thinking the following week is a better bet though.   Oh - New ships also coming out in Solo too!    So by May it should get REALLY crazy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't you know - the something big is that Legion now allows you to play ground battles instead of space battles.  The something big for Armada *is* Legion =P.

 

Man I have to say though - I am super excited for an SSD.  It's no longer a question of do I put it on display, but rather where do I put it on display, coupled with do I turn away clients as I light up my own SSD as soon as I get it.  This might be one of the few purchases that I make at gencon for full price instead of waiting to get it at my local store at 20% off.  The secondary question then becomes is it legal in 400pts or not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, Khyros said:

Man I have to say though - I am super excited for an SSD.  It's no longer a question of do I put it on display, but rather where do I put it on display, coupled with do I turn away clients as I light up my own SSD as soon as I get it.  This might be one of the few purchases that I make at gencon for full price instead of waiting to get it at my local store at 20% off.  The secondary question then becomes is it legal in 400pts or not.  

I think I might be one of the few folks that's just really not interested in an SSD. I just think it's not going to look right in scale and if there's epic play I'm worried what size table would be needed for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, draco193 said:

 

I think I might be one of the few folks that's just really not interested in an SSD. I just think it's not going to look right in scale and if there's epic play I'm worried what size table would be needed for it. 

True.  I've seen a photo here of a custom made SSD that's about 3' long, and it looks like it's about the right balance between scale and playability.  ISDs are dwarfed by it, but it's still clearly a gaming piece.  Kudos to whomever decided on that scale.  With that said, an ISD is 1/8000 scale, and the SSD would be 1/21000 scale, almost a third of what it's supposed to be.  But the Raider is 1/2500 scale.  So the ISD should be about 3x as big as it is compared to the Raider... And the SSD should be 3x as big as it (would be) compared to the ISD.  I can get behind that.

Also, just because the model is 3ft, the base doesn't have to be that large.  And since the base is what matters on the table top, if it has a base twice as long as the large base, or even if it's just supported by two large bases, it'd still come in at under 18'' of base length.  And due to the mechanics of the game, it doesn't go faster just because it has a larger base, and if you kept the deployment rules the same, you'd be forced to deploy at a deep angle.

The real question becomes - how much does it hurt our wallet?  The approx 18'' Raider for XWM was $100.  Is a 3' SSD going to be $200+?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Khyros said:

The real question becomes - how much does it hurt our wallet?  The approx 18'' Raider for XWM was $100.  Is a 3' SSD going to be $200+?

This is my only concern. $100 MSRP is painful, but doable. More than that and The cost becomes a real problem. At the point it becomes a rich boys game, and more players will walk away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

This is my only concern. $100 MSRP is painful, but doable. More than that and The cost becomes a real problem. At the point it becomes a rich boys game, and more players will walk away. 

That’s not my concern. My concern is that some critical, meta defining upgrade for Imperials (or for both/either, really) will be on that SSD. 

 

I guess I’m being paranoid as FFG has never done anything like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything below $150, and I will buy 2 out of the gate. Above that, and it will just be one to start. With a core set at $100, I don't think $200 or less is pushing the Armada fan base, or the Star Wars fan base. However, a middle ground will get them more sales for sure. I'm going to hope for a $150 msrp, so we get a model half again as large as the X-wing Raider, but with a price point that isn't too scary, and can be described to a significant other as "a little over a hundred." ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

This is my only concern. $100 MSRP is painful, but doable. More than that and The cost becomes a real problem. At the point it becomes a rich boys game, and more players will walk away. 

Especially if it comes with must have cards as Epic ships did.
Tbh: I just can't see it in a 400 point list. How is there even enough room for it in a list or anything besides an SSD? How can the firepower not be on a level that should one shot any corvette?
A full 400 point Rebel list simply should not even be able to be a threat to an SSD.

I am super doubtful it will come.
Prequel or sequel Armada seems more likely when they talk about something big and those are actually bigger pools of ships to be explored.

Edited by Doppelganger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doppelganger said:

Especially if it comes with must have cards as Epic ships did.
Tbh: I just can't see it in a 400 point list. How is there even enough room for it in a list or anything besides an ISD? How can the firepower not be on a level that should one shot any corvette?
A full 400 point Rebel list simply should not even be able to be a threat to an SSD.

I am super doubtful it will come.
Prequel or sequel Armada seems more likely when they talk about something big and those are actually bigger pools of ships to be explored.

Except we know for sure that an SSD has been play tested, sequel ships unknown. To be honest, I see more fan demand for more prequal ships than sequel. Then we come to the Piett argument. 7 waves, and the #4 most identifiable Imperial from the OT, is still not in Armada, and he was the Admiral in the largest OT space battle! The only reason to do this is if they are saving him for the SSD!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

Except we know for sure that an SSD has been play tested, sequel ships unknown. To be honest, I see more fan demand for more prequal ships than sequel. Then we come to the Piett argument. 7 waves, and the #4 most identifiable Imperial from the OT, is still not in Armada, and he was the Admiral in the largest OT space battle! The only reason to do this is if they are saving him for the SSD!

If we know it has been playtested doesn't that mean its pretty much coming with a hundered percent certainty? Genuinely curious here.

I think that Piett argument doesn't hold. It might totally be true, might not be.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

Anything below $150, and I will buy 2 out of the gate. Above that, and it will just be one to start. With a core set at $100, I don't think $200 or less is pushing the Armada fan base, or the Star Wars fan base. However, a middle ground will get them more sales for sure. I'm going to hope for a $150 msrp, so we get a model half again as large as the X-wing Raider, but with a price point that isn't too scary, and can be described to a significant other as "a little over a hundred." ;)

Not everyone has that much disposable income. 

I think most of us want to see this game grow and expand. We want more players. Over $100 will do the opposite of that. People will see that price tag and nope the $£&@ Out. 

I would be hard pressed to lay down $150-$200 dollars, and would feel pretty peeved if it gave other players an advantage; real or perceived. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Khyros said:

True.  I've seen a photo here of a custom made SSD that's about 3' long, and it looks like it's about the right balance between scale and playability.  ISDs are dwarfed by it, but it's still clearly a gaming piece.  Kudos to whomever decided on that scale.  With that said, an ISD is 1/8000 scale, and the SSD would be 1/21000 scale, almost a third of what it's supposed to be.  But the Raider is 1/2500 scale.  So the ISD should be about 3x as big as it is compared to the Raider... And the SSD should be 3x as big as it (would be) compared to the ISD.  I can get behind that.

Also, just because the model is 3ft, the base doesn't have to be that large.  And since the base is what matters on the table top, if it has a base twice as long as the large base, or even if it's just supported by two large bases, it'd still come in at under 18'' of base length.  And due to the mechanics of the game, it doesn't go faster just because it has a larger base, and if you kept the deployment rules the same, you'd be forced to deploy at a deep angle.

The real question becomes - how much does it hurt our wallet?  The approx 18'' Raider for XWM was $100.  Is a 3' SSD going to be $200+?

really I will tell my wallet to just shut up. It has no say and will simply choke on its unasked for aspirations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be a heck of a lot more excited about prequel-era Armada than a standard game SSD. Immersion aside, (8 CR90Bs vs Executor, everyone!) picture how that affects gameplay. An incredibly low-activation fleet with a ship you are basically obligated to kill if you want to achieve a meaningful victory, simply because it takes up so many points. MoV for a 10-1 is 300+. Limiting it to scenarios sounds like the best option for the game.

Edited by The Jabbawookie
Not trying to rain on potential parades. If it comes out and you love it, I’m happy for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say size would be an issue if it’s too large. 3’? I do not want to have to store that, or try lugging it around with me to games. That would be a nightmare. And actually playing with it; what would be the point? At that size you wouldn’t be able to move it. Is it just supposed to sit in place? Why have a model then when you could just have a SSD Mat that is cheaper and easier to carry? 

2’ Maximum; 18” premium.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, draco193 said:

I think I might be one of the few folks that's just really not interested in an SSD. I just think it's not going to look right in scale and if there's epic play I'm worried what size table would be needed for it. 

You're certainly not alone. The SSD has been talked about to death, but there are a number of people (like myself) that are not only not interested, but actively dislike the idea. I personally don't care to own one, and I'd say there's a 90% chance that the ship would come with an amazing upgrade that you can't get anywhere else. Happened in X-Wing (C-3PO) and I'm sure they sold a good amount more epic ships because of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I would be a heck of a lot more excited about prequel-era Armada than a standard game SSD. Immersion aside, (8 CR90Bs vs Executor, everyone!) picture how that affects gameplay. An incredibly low-activation fleet with a ship you are basically obligated to kill if you want to achieve a meaningful victory, simply because it takes up so many points. MoV for a 10-1 is 300+. Limiting it to scenarios sounds like the best option for the game.

oc it should be limited to a non-tourney rules mode of play. thats not the point, Id say. My concern is also not for the price, the only valid argument I have ever seen is that it should not have exclusive upgrade stuff that is 400 pt essential. And really the only card that comes to mind that is an auto-problem is Piett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if the SSD came with a  co-op campaign?  For example, It had the ship model and rules for a co-op mission set using the SSD and some other fun missions for it.  Only one player would need to buy it to play the missions, and it couldn't be played competitively.  At the same time, they release a smaller box (CC sized) that has all the same documents and cards, letting you get them without spending much.  The SSD is only cosmetic, and I still think it would sell by the boatload for the model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a SSD is a 'shut up, and take my money!' situation. Yeah we as a gaming community may not be able to all afford a $100+ price tag, but there are alot of people who DON'T play see it, and will buy it on sheer principle of awesome (which may cause them to get in to the game). I did this with alot of the xwing epic ships.

Edited by Noosh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

What if the SSD came with a  co-op campaign?  For example, It had the ship model and rules for a co-op mission set using the SSD and some other fun missions for it.  Only one player would need to buy it to play the missions, and it couldn't be played competitively.  At the same time, they release a smaller box (CC sized) that has all the same documents and cards, letting you get them without spending much.  The SSD is only cosmetic, and I still think it would sell by the boatload for the model.

My money is that the SSD brings a new form of "epic" gameplay similar to what X-Wing did, with different rules for matches involving the SSD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what they should really do... a 6’x3’ SSD playmat. Scattered across it are “hardpoints”, each with it’s own stats. 

To win, the opponent needs to destroy all these hard points. Could make for a cool co-op Mission, or a boss fight for a campaign. Or have it could as a your flagship in a campaign game where you can have 1000+ points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Doppelganger said:

Especially if it comes with must have cards as Epic ships did.
Tbh: I just can't see it in a 400 point list. How is there even enough room for it in a list or anything besides an SSD? How can the firepower not be on a level that should one shot any corvette?
A full 400 point Rebel list simply should not even be able to be a threat to an SSD.

I am super doubtful it will come.
Prequel or sequel Armada seems more likely when they talk about something big and those are actually bigger pools of ships to be explored.

Well, if you take a look at a Kuat ISD with Spinals and a CF dial, you're throwing 7 reds at long range.  Let's say that there's at least 1 accuracy, which will be spent on the redirect.  Evade will be spent on a double result, leaving you with 5 dice to do 6 damage.  On average, those 5 dice will do 3.75 damage, but if we reroll extra accuracies and blanks, it goes up to 5.15 damage, excluding any crits.  In other words, a CR-90 can realistically already be 1 shot via an ISD.  It's far from the normal, but it's within the realm of possibility.  So to have a much larger investment ship be able to do that sounds totally reasonable.

9 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I would be a heck of a lot more excited about prequel-era Armada than a standard game SSD. Immersion aside, (8 CR90Bs vs Executor, everyone!) picture how that affects gameplay. An incredibly low-activation fleet with a ship you are basically obligated to kill if you want to achieve a meaningful victory, simply because it takes up so many points. MoV for a 10-1 is 300+. Limiting it to scenarios sounds like the best option for the game.

I see your point about MOV.  They would have to change something in the rules to address that.  Either something along the lines of XWM half damage = half MOV, or expand the various hull zones beyond shields - something like each zone has shields and 6 hull and is worth 25% of the ship cost.  When a specific region has lost all hull, it cannot shoot out of that hull zone.  To destroy the ship completely, you must destroy 3 hull zones.  It doesn't necessarily need to be a change to the rules, it could be that the SSD comes with its own rules.

8 minutes ago, IronNerd said:

You're certainly not alone. The SSD has been talked about to death, but there are a number of people (like myself) that are not only not interested, but actively dislike the idea. I personally don't care to own one, and I'd say there's a 90% chance that the ship would come with an amazing upgrade that you can't get anywhere else. Happened in X-Wing (C-3PO) and I'm sure they sold a good amount more epic ships because of it.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't their goal.  It technically happened twice (C3PO and Palp), but both times seemed like a fluke.  C3PO wasn't even considered a viable upgrade until the Berling brothers came out with their first meta breaking list of double {DTF, Droid, YT-1300, EU} build.  And once they did that and everyone realized what was going on and C3PO spread like wild fire, FFG released an Alt Art of the card.  As for Palp, everyone thought he was total garbage going into the release.  It really wasn't until people realized that he makes it such that your green dice aren't fickle and you don't lose because of fickle green dice did people realize he was great.  So I don't expect that this would be the case.  Also, it's a totally different environment talking about a $100 model vs. a $200 model.  Especially when a wave of X Wing normally costs around $100, and a wave of Armada normally costs around $100.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cynanbloodbane said:

Except we know for sure that an SSD has been play tested, sequel ships unknown.

Thats nice to hear, but where‘s it from?

 

just an idea - the SSDmight be the best argument for releasing the cards separate to the miniature - the non ship specific ones at least.

I am not that optimistic though

Edited by Captain_Nemo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...