Jump to content
Frostthorn

Mandalorian Gauntlet Fighter: Tips, Tricks, Tactics or Thoughts

Recommended Posts

It's such a shame they gave the Gauntlet Rogue. Without it they would be ~4 points cheaper, which alone would make them more worth considering. But more importantly it would allow them to work with Sloane, which would probably make them pretty decent, even without using Assault. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lochlan said:

It's such a shame they gave the Gauntlet Rogue. Without it they would be ~4 points cheaper, which alone would make them more worth considering. But more importantly it would allow them to work with Sloane, which would probably make them pretty decent, even without using Assault. 

maybe they gave it rouge specifically not to work with Sloane though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ISD Avenger said:

I’m starting to wonder why I bothered list tinkering with Gauntlets now ?

Cuz you were like everyone else and wanted to make the new thing work. I wouldn't feel too bad. Raid should work well against the SSD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

When it automatically gains the token for the dial revealed?

Doubt it.

 

Even the command dials you assign to a Super Star Destroyer become more powerful. When you resolve one of these command tokens, you’ll also assign the corresponding command token to your ship! By getting more impact out of every command dial you assign to the Super Star Destroyer, you’ll be prepared to take on the entire enemy fleet on your own.

 

The article says you get the token when you resolve the dial (although it says token twice).  Would Raid work then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, draco193 said:

 

Even the command dials you assign to a Super Star Destroyer become more powerful. When you resolve one of these command tokens, you’ll also assign the corresponding command token to your ship! By getting more impact out of every command dial you assign to the Super Star Destroyer, you’ll be prepared to take on the entire enemy fleet on your own.

 

The article says you get the token when you resolve the dial (although it says token twice).  Would Raid work then?

I am flying an SSD.

I see a Gauntlet on the other side of the table.

I want to resolve Repair each turn.

I reveal my repair dial, take a token.

I get a Raid token on Repair! Oh No!

Discard banked Repair token from previous turn, reveal dial, take repair token for next turn.

Rinse and repeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

I am flying an SSD.

I see a Gauntlet on the other side of the table.

I want to resolve Repair each turn.

I reveal my repair dial, take a token.

I get a Raid token on Repair! Oh No!

Discard banked Repair token from previous turn, reveal dial, take repair token for next turn.

Rinse and repeat.

Makes sense.  Competent play beats Raid pretty easily. My thought was more in the reveal vs resolve dial portion though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Undeadguy said:

It will when you target a different command. Imps can't change their tokens and rely on Comms Net for flexibility. 

Think about it.

 

Sure, you target a command and raid it...

 

... you only get any effect if it’s a command they’re going to do at some stage...

... and when it’s time..., they clear it with their free token...

Because as you say they don’t have token flexibility, so commands are coming from dials...

 

otherwise its like dropping squadron raids on a squadron less Force...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrobaFett said:

I am flying an SSD.

I see a Gauntlet on the other side of the table.

I want to resolve Repair each turn.

I reveal my repair dial, take a token.

I get a Raid token on Repair! Oh No!

Discard banked Repair token from previous turn, reveal dial, take repair token for next turn.

Rinse and repeat.

disingenuous as you can be hit T1 most likely with these.

 

You see Gauntlet, you activate and take a repair.

Gauntlet hits you with a Nav Raid 

Next dial you take you either lose the dial AND the token (did not resolve it so no token for you) or you use the command (if its not a Nav) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Think about it.

 

Sure, you target a command and raid it...

 

... you only get any effect if it’s a command they’re going to do at some stage...

... and when it’s time..., they clear it with their free token...

Because as you say they don’t have token flexibility, so commands are coming from dials...

 

otherwise its like dropping squadron raids on a squadron less Force...

Doesnt Raid have to have a matching token to remove? Not just any token? I know any dial works but thats the dial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

disingenuous as you can be hit T1 most likely with these.

 

You see Gauntlet, you activate and take a repair.

Gauntlet hits you with a Nav Raid 

Next dial you take you either lose the dial AND the token (did not resolve it so no token for you) or you use the command (if its not a Nav) 

You're right, raid is awesome and you should play it all the time and prove how awesome it is to everyone.

In fact, just go ahead from now on I'll just go ahead and assume everything I say is wrong right after I say it so we can just skip the part where tag me in your posts showing me the error of my ways.

Edited by BrobaFett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we will need to see how the dial/token rule works with the SSD. The article says "Even the command dials you assign to a Super Star Destroyer become more powerful. When you resolve one of these command tokens, you’ll also assign the corresponding command token to your ship! By getting more impact out of every command dial you assign to the Super Star Destroyer, you’ll be prepared to take on the entire enemy fleet on your own."

If the article is correct (which is a big assumption), raid would prevent the SSD from getting a token because raid prevents you from resolving the matching command. However, I think it makes more sense for the SSD to gain a matching token when it reveals the dial, and thus making the SSD mostly immune to raid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Undeadguy said:

I think we will need to see how the dial/token rule works with the SSD. The article says "Even the command dials you assign to a Super Star Destroyer become more powerful. When you resolve one of these command tokens, you’ll also assign the corresponding command token to your ship! By getting more impact out of every command dial you assign to the Super Star Destroyer, you’ll be prepared to take on the entire enemy fleet on your own."

If the article is correct (which is a big assumption), raid would prevent the SSD from getting a token because raid prevents you from resolving the matching command. However, I think it makes more sense for the SSD to gain a matching token when it reveals the dial, and thus making the SSD mostly immune to raid.

It depends on if it reads like Raymus Antilles then it would bypass raid and then lose the token for it. If not and you have to resolve the dial then no token. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

disingenuous as you can be hit T1 most likely with these.

 

You see Gauntlet, you activate and take a repair.

Gauntlet hits you with a Nav Raid 

Next dial you take you either lose the dial AND the token (did not resolve it so no token for you) or you use the command (if its not a Nav) 

"I want to resolve Repair each turn."

He has no intention of resolving a Nav command.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Valca said:

"I want to resolve Repair each turn."

He has no intention of resolving a Nav command.

That's fine. The ship wouldn't like that much as it's only 6 total points or 4 with the token. 

 

If it's on the resolve it goes 

1. I reveal repair get free token" 

2. Raid repair token is applied

3. SSD uses repair token and you don't get another token because you are pass the reveal step 

4. Another raid token applied and the engineering is blocked until cleared by the dial. 

If you just get the token for just revealing then raid is 100% useless.

Which makes me question why they created raid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

That's fine. The ship wouldn't like that much as it's only 6 total points or 4 with the token. 

 

If it's on the resolve it goes 

1. I reveal repair get free token" 

2. Raid repair token is applied

3. SSD uses repair token and you don't get another token because you are pass the reveal step 

4. Another raid token applied and the engineering is blocked until cleared by the dial. 

If you just get the token for just revealing then raid is 100% useless.

Which makes me question why they created raid

Pretty sure you get the token for revealing. The precendent is there with Raymus already. Yes, that makes raid fairly worthless against the SSD except to cancel out the free token.

Raid was created to screw with Yavaris. It's an odd little gimmick that, like many of our odd little gimmicks, was costed a bit too high. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

That's fine. The ship wouldn't like that much as it's only 6 total points or 4 with the token. 

 

If it's on the resolve it goes 

1. I reveal repair get free token" 

2. Raid repair token is applied

3. SSD uses repair token and you don't get another token because you are pass the reveal step 

4. Another raid token applied and the engineering is blocked until cleared by the dial. 

If you just get the token for just revealing then raid is 100% useless.

Which makes me question why they created raid

Basically it works itself out either way. If it's on resolve, you just need a comms net or lead in token.

If on reveal:

  • Reveal Dial
  • Get Token
  • Spend Token to Discard Raid
  • Resolve Dial

If on resolve:

  • Reveal Dial
  • Spend Token from Previous Turn to Discard Raid
  • Resolve Dial
  • Get Token

So essentially raid isn't preventing the command on the SSD. It's just preventing 2 points of repair when they get around to using it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are not alone Lyraeus. I was excited about Raid. If it had not had the stupid cheesy token discard mechanic it would have been good. You can tell that the testing on it was misleading and that last minute crash balance changes were made because the Dial discarding all raid tokens makes Jyn especially totally bewildering. What good are 2 raid tokens if the one dial discards them both? But you hit the nail on the head. We all wonder raid was even made. It's an interesting mechanic gimped by how impossible it is to apply and easy it is to negate.

Add that to the chance that even adding a raid token is not guaranteed (I played a fleet with 4 against Mandalorian Moose and triggered raid 1 time off a non-Gar gauntlet all game) and the effect is easily mitigated outside the vacuum of theory where passing a token is a 20/25 pt ship using it's activation.

In the realm of cost vs benefit, Gauntlets are 20pts in exchange for a token that costs 20pts to take off every turn. You have a chance to fail, they do not. Therefore your opponent will get more benefit out their 20pts than you will yours.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

You can tell that the testing on it was misleading and that last minute crash balance changes were made because the Dial discarding all raid tokens makes Jyn especially totally bewildering. 

You can? Huh. News to me. I mean it's not like there was a whole wave to test that included huge game altering mechnanics, such as Pryce and Bail, along with four new ship variants.

Edited by Truthiness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Truthiness said:

Pretty sure you get the token for revealing. The precendent is there with Raymus already. Yes, that makes raid fairly worthless against the SSD except to cancel out the free token.

Raid was created to screw with Yavaris. It's an odd little gimmick that, like many of our odd little gimmicks, was costed a bit too high. 

Its bad design if that is all it was for. Armada has very little overall bad designs like that. Likely we are missing something down the road if they are still testing 

 

IF the article is correct raid is decent against an SSD, however if it is Raymus on a ship its useless as I said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...