Sign in to follow this  
VAYASAN

Excitement levels? Whats yours

7 minutes ago, HadeusHawkyns said:

I've messed around a bit on Tabletop Simulator a few times. It was a little slow but that's mostly because I suck at doing things on TTS. I haven't had any issues playing against myself with it. It's just like any other game- so long as you're just playing as each "player" and not metagaming, it works just as well as X-Wing, Armada, etc.

The Xwing sim that Sandrem works on is pretty amazing and I highly recommend it if you haven’t tried it. It’s a work in progress but it has massive potential. 

I do wish I had more friends who gamed but the 40 year old husbands and fathers that are my friends don’t game and most see it as a waste of time, so I feel your pain. The couple who do choose card and dice games not miniatures. I guess the kid in me still likes toys lol

I'm excited!

Got my FAT mat, got my preorder in, saved 20% at my FLGS so I was able to get a core, a dice pack,2 troops, 1 support, and 1 heavy for each faction.

Sexy tokens from CurledPawCreatives https://www.etsy.com/listing/598772211/acrylic-battalion-token-set-sw-legion?ref=shop_home_feat_4 

But a 5 week vacation put me behind on the terrain building, so going with a quick alien forest build and go from there.

I am pretty excited... though i was more excited in Feb, when i thought the game was coming out... My bad should have known.  But this is my first War game, making terrain has been fun. In fact in the next few weeks i am hand making a new dining room table that is 6'x40" first of next month.  I figured i have never painted miniatures, and never made a table... learn all sorts of new skills.  

High in the sense I built my board and terrain already. And I keep rethinking what if I want to do more for it.

I am going into it with a little trepidation I admit. I only have the core and a dice pack preordered. I’ve proven I can paint terrain, even small imperial terrain pieces like the cargo, but will they look good enough? Not sure.

Also worried about whether I can pay for all the stuff I’m wanting or not. Going to be interesting to see if I can keep up or not with the painting and then getting them played.

57 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

Right their with you brother. I have been looking at Legion and I do enjoy painting but I have no interest in making friends because of a game. (Probably why I despise OP in any game) Now making a friend first and they happen to like the game too that would be awesome but hanging out at game stores is not something I have ever enjoyed doing outside shopping. Xwing can be AI’d at least enjoyably. To the people who have played this, in your opinion, could this be AI’d?

I think Legion would be a little tough to "AI".  With X-Wing, the objective is to kill your opponent.  Fan made expansions like Heroes of the Atari Cluster do a good job of adding a game AI because the AI is pretty simple.  What does a TIE Fighter do?  Flies towards the closest opponent, tries to line up a shot and then fires.  What does it do next round?  The same thing.  Etc, etc.  Legion is a little different.  The objective is...  well...  getting the objectives!  What does a Stormtrooper unit do?  Depends on the situation.  They might run for cover.  They might stand, aim and fire.  They might run for the closest objective.  The actions a given unit will take are going to vary wildly based on the current game state.  Translating that decision making process into a workable AI/decision tree might be a little tough.

I do, however, think that you could create some new objectives/missions where the player is trying to achieve objective X and the game is trying to stop them.  In a mission like that, specific enemy units WOULD actually be taking more or less the same action each turn.  This could be automated.  Example off the top of my head...

"Imperial Occupation" - Overview: The player builds a standard Rebel army and deploys within 12" of one short edge of a 6'x3' table.  Place 3 pieces of terrain (preferably buildings) in each quadrant of the board.  At the start of each turn, roll a D6 for each piece of terrain.  For each result of 1-2, set up a unit of D3 Stormtroopers on the terrain piece if possible and wholly within 6" if not possible.  This represents troopers coming out of buildings.  For each result of 3, set up a single Speeder Bike within 6" of the opposing board edge.  This represents bikes coming from outside the town.  Enemies activate randomly.  When a Stormtrooper unit activates, they aim and shoot if their is a visible target.  If their is no target, they take move actions as able until their is a target.  In other words, they'll prioritize: 1. Aim and Shoot, 2. Move and Shoot, 3. Move and Move.  Speeder Bikes would: 1. Dodge and Shoot, 2. Move and Shoot, 3. Move and Move.  Both units spend Aim/Dodge tokens if able and ignore the Suppression mechanic.  Each trooper unit leader gains "Action: If you are in base to base contact with a terrain feature and there are no enemy models within 3" of the terrain, place an objective token on the terrain piece."  The player wins at the end of any round when there are at least 6 objective tokens in play.

Would probably need tweaking, but it's a quick idea for a solitary, objective based mission.  I don't think you'd be able to play the core missions effectively versus a homebrew AI.

Thursday & Friday are vacation days and my kids are off school for Spring Break.  We will be playing our favorite family game - “The Orphan Game” where the kids leave me alone and act like they are orphans so I can paint all day :)

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

I am going into it with a little trepidation I admit. I only have the core and a dice pack preordered. I’ve proven I can paint terrain, even small imperial terrain pieces like the cargo, but will they look good enough? Not sure.

While I'm still somewhat new to the painting side of things, I've realized the only people who really think a paint job isn't good enough are the people who paint them. For example, other painters see my paintjobs and at worst will give me pointers, but they know I made an effort and can appreciate that. The other players never notice the flaws I do, mainly because they don't spend much time up close scrutinizing it. My non-painting friends think my incredibly horrible paintjobs are great- I'm not sure if they just don't know any better or because they don't have the really good stuff to compare it to or what. My point is, so long as you're happy with your work then that's all that matters, especially since everyone else will probably think it's good enough.

I'm about a 7/10 right now.  I'm trying hard not to check the calendar every other hour.  I'm slightly concerned that I placed my Miniature Market pre-order too late to get it from the first wave of their stock.  I guess I'll find out next week. 

Getting to play it last week definitely has me anxious to build my own army.  I also just really want to play the game beyond the scale of the core set.  I've really enjoyed what I've played so far, but I really need to see how the AT-ST mixes things up.

Super excited. Every day is a longer and longer day.

Ive probably spent way more than i should have for this, but IDC. I was a warhammer guy that liked to paint and model, never played with anyone though like another poster here on this thread. When i first learned that Warhammer + Star Wars = Legion was coming, i wigged out and shut down everything i was doing. Ended up now buying 2 cores, and 1 of every expansion. Plan on having at least 2 sets of troopers per side painted per terrain type. (with the exception of the hoth set since im sure rebel snow troopers are coming)  Have a new mat on the way, plus some MDF terrain. Got new paints, modeling supplies and the like coming too. The next two weeks Ill end up being on a first name basis with my delivery guy, there's so much ***** coming.

Fortunately i was able to turn one of my friends who is into SW into playing Xwing. I'll turn him over to legion too.(smirk)

The last time i was this excited for something to release was a video game way back when. I had thoughts of taking off of work just for it. Starting to get those thoughts again. :)

1 hour ago, HadeusHawkyns said:

While I'm still somewhat new to the painting side of things, I've realized the only people who really think a paint job isn't good enough are the people who paint them. 

Thanks. I’ll try to keep that in mind and work on doing the best I can do without starting to stress over it. 

Im inclined to slowly build up the ranks from the core set, partially because of the time I know I’ll take to paint and prickly because I want to see what elder gets announced with the aggressive releases they’ve told us about.

I know I’m in for the fancy objectives pack when it comes. And an AT-ST (now that is intimidating to paint for a rookie), and sort of go from there.

7 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Thanks. I’ll try to keep that in mind and work on doing the best I can do without starting to stress over it. 

Im inclined to slowly build up the ranks from the core set, partially because of the time I know I’ll take to paint and prickly because I want to see what elder gets announced with the aggressive releases they’ve told us about.

I know I’m in for the fancy objectives pack when it comes. And an AT-ST (now that is intimidating to paint for a rookie), and sort of go from there.

Heck, don't be intimidated.

Spray prime it gray, and it will look fine on the table. Paint the details on it as you're ready, and it will just look better and better as you go along.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:23 AM, LordFajubi said:

Right their with you brother. I have been looking at Legion and I do enjoy painting but I have no interest in making friends because of a game. (Probably why I despise OP in any game) Now making a friend first and they happen to like the game too that would be awesome but hanging out at game stores is not something I have ever enjoyed doing outside shopping. Xwing can be AI’d at least enjoyably. To the people who have played this, in your opinion, could this be AI’d?

I like OP, but that's largely because of the little effort required to find a game. Luckily, my gaming time increased greatly when my son became old enough to game. My daughter wants to play as well, but she isn't quite old enough yet.

Optimistic.  I'm picking up a Core and an AT-ST with plans to mainly play Empire.  My main concern is how good the local store's group is which is something neither I nor FFG have much control over.  If there's a fun group of people that big enough then it should be really cool.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  If it takes off well I plan to get a 2nd Core, Veers, and two units of Snowtroopers when they come out.