Sign in to follow this  
GrimmyV

Video on Starfighters vs shields, etc.

a neat little video that makes some points about space combat that maybe could be incorporated into Epic rules.

also it’s a good theory summarizing evidence from the entire saga to explain a perceived ‘plot hole’.   

Disclaimer: I got nothing to do with this video!

Yeah, totally! They should do something like make it so that when you're attacking another ship at close range you get an extra attack die, and when you attack at range 3 or farther the defender gets an extra defense die!

Oh wait...

(Apologies for the snark. :lol: I couldn't help myself. I am ashamed :unsure:)

Of course TLJ explains everything if you ignore half of the evidence :D

Shields not stopping fighters goes directly against what we see in TPM (Naboo fighters being unable to breach Federation ship's shields, Anakin flying into the hangar can be easily explained by the local shield being lowered to let fighters out), Rogue One (Profundity's shields stop close range TIE Fighter blasts), and RotJ, where destroying the bridge shields wouldn't change anything, as via TLJ logic any ship could have rammed the bridge of the Executor at any point of the battle.

Edited by eMeM

8 minutes ago, eMeM said:

Shields not stopping fighters goes directly against what we see in TPM (Naboo fighters being unable to breach Federation ship's shields, Anakin flying into the hangar can be easily explained by the local shield being lowered to let fighters out), Rogue One (Profundity's shields stop close range TIE Fighter blasts), and RotJ, where destroying the bridge shields wouldn't change anything, as via TLJ logic any ship could have rammed the bridge of the Executor at any point of the battle.

Or "RotS where Obi-Wan yells at Anakin "Have you noticed the shields are still up?" and they have to blast the generators to drop them, and then get in before the hanger bay doors close.  This whole argument is grasping at straws. 

15 minutes ago, eMeM said:

I imagine (like in epic) energy management is a major part of that. Fighters can’t get through planetary shields in rogue one because all the energy is going to making shields. I would argue the Raddus was putting more power in its sub-light flight than in its shields which opened it up to fighter vulnerabilities.

thats all I have to say about the matter. I don’t want too much science and explanations in my Star Wars combat. I want to make a lot of pew pew noices and occasionally quote Top Gun during my matches lol

Neat video.  I think it has some merit.  In ANH they talk about the death star's exhaust port being 'ray shielded' which necessitates the use of torpedoes for the pivotal strike.  This seems to imply that most shields (like the ones talked about in the video) are ray shields, meaning that they disperse energy but allow matter to pass through.  Particle shields would be what the DS2, Grievous' ship hanger and Scarif shield gate were.

Capital ships like the Executor or Grievous' command ship had the energy to create small localized particle shields around their bridge or hanger bays.

This raises the question of why everyone doesn't just switch to missiles and torpedoes though.  One could argue that everyone already has, with most ships carrying a decent magazine of ordnance and putting them to good use.  The Empire is the only navy we see that seems to eschew this philosophy, instead favoring overwhelming capital ship support and overwhelming numbers of tiny laser carrying fighters.  This kind of makes sense given the political situation at the beginning of ANH since by that time they are basically just putting down local rebellions and conducting police actions instead of fighting large scale wars against other fleets.

Particle shields are impractical in protecting some areas of ships or installations such as exhaust ports and engine nozzles because the shields would prevent the waste particles from escaping.  

Ray shields, while protecting from laser fire, also appearantly is dangerous to organic matter since battle droids can walk through such shielding but Jedi could not escape ray shields when trapped within.

Rey Shields is a femanine hygiene product aimed at a certain demographic  of SW fans.  Also Rey Shields is her actual name, with ma and pa Shields being filthy garbage hobos.

The person that made this video doesn't know the lore apparently.  

* Super Heavy Turbo Lasers, found on Mostly just Star Destroyers have 11 light minute ranges, though the Empire during ep 7-8 don't have those weapons for some reason.

* He's half right about the effective range with the Rebels largest ship in ep 8, but that things shields are extremely unique and more powerful than any capitalships shields save the Eclipse.   The effective ranges for other Capships will be much much further out.

* Though we cant see how, because it's invisible, the Rebels largest ship in ep 8 was shaping it's shields to protect multiple other cap ships and that's how the TIEs got through.   His other examples he should trying to prove otherwise where not thought out, as the Droid Carrier ships shields were down to allow more fighters to exist or inter, their fule efficient is bad as Vulture Droids might only have around a couple minutes worth of fuel to propel their fighters, maybe half an hour.    It took an hours long concentrated attack to bring down the SSD shields, those few hits are what broke the camels back.

*The reason they fought so close in EP 3 and EP 6, is, firstly in EP 3 they were trying to prevent any ship from jumping away, hence dog piling the enemy ships, fighting them at long ranges allows for them to easily jump away.   In EP 6 the Rebel fleet chose to get point blank to avoid being attacked by the Mk 2 Super Laser, the Empire could have fired at much farther ranges, especially taking into consideration that all but the SSD have Super Heavy Turbo Laser Broadsides.  They were ordered not to attack.

* The person that made the video also apparently does't realize their are multiple diffrent models of weapons on capital ships, just like in real life, and just like in real life they all have different firing profiles, capabilities, ranges, output, and so on.  Also some of the CIS weapons he showed are not even Lasers nor Blaster, or even energy weapons, lots of those weapons are Super Heavy Proton Torpedo Cannons.

* MOST FREAKING ANNOYING OF ALL, POE DID WHAT HE DID IN EP 8 NOT BECAUSE AA WEAPONS ARE BAD, NOT BECAUSE HE IS SKILLED, BUT IT FLAT OUT SAYS IN THE LORE FOR HIS X-WING THAT IT IS A STEALTHED X-WING, IT WILL BE MUCH MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TO ACCURATELY TARGET AND KILL.   HE MIGHT HAVE SOME SKILL, BUT HE IS NO BETTER THAN THE PAY TO WINNERS THAT GOT SWBF2EA AND BOUGHT 500 DOLLARS WORTH OF CARD PACKS WHILE EVERYONE ELSE, OR THE MAJORITY, ARE STUCK GRINDING THEIR WAY TO CARD PACKS OR UPGRADES.   IF HE HAD AN X-WING LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IN EP 7-8 HE WOULD A FREAKING DEAD BY NOW.

*The guy is half right about Fighter, though they do still have to deal with shields, most of them can kill various Capships with the weapons they have, and the more projectiles, or the bigger the cannons they have the bigger the Capship class or even stations they can kill.   The guns the TIE Advanced X1, TIE Avengers, TIE Defenders, B-Wings, TIE Interceptors, and A4 Y-Wings carry, allow for them to have no restrictions on cap ships or stations, they can damage or kill.  The only factors is Time, Energy reserves, and numbers.

Oh and they fought up close in Ep 4 and Ep 5 because they were trying to herd and capture the Falcon, they are not going to up and destroy a ship they were ordered to capture unless it's on accident.  In fact I grantee some of those shots that do hit is actually were on accident.

On 3/16/2018 at 2:57 AM, Black Knight Leader said:

The person that made this video doesn't know the lore apparently.

He’s not talking about Legends, books or comics, he’s just using the films, which are the media that SW fans are most familiar with.  Any arguments supported on works outside the movies aren’t following the premise of the video.