Sign in to follow this  
Wave 4 for life

Have most of the good players stopped playing?

1 hour ago, jesper_h said:

Sadly, these forums have been declining in quality for some time. Lack of decent moderation hurts and it's just slowly devolved into memes, arguing and trolling instead of the useful community resource it once was. Bit of a shame really.

You're saying this as if devolving into memes is a bad thing. I find your lack of memes disturbing.

Every player I respect locally is still here

It's just harder to notice their skill if they're flying snorefest turrets, which has become distressingly common here (literally went four rounds against all flavors of this ****, dash - Rey - Kanan - Miranda)

But the fact that 3PTL vipers became a thing AT ALL shows there's room for skill 

Edited by ficklegreendice

4 hours ago, jesper_h said:

Sadly, these forums have been declining in quality for some time. Lack of decent moderation hurts and it's just slowly devolved into memes, arguing and trolling instead of the useful community resource it once was. Bit of a shame really.

Memes are not a bad thing!  Moar memes plz.

according to my rankings I have about 800 players in the US that were on there last year but this year don't have any qualifying events. In that same time the list has grown by about 1200 players. As far as "Good" players quitting. It says something that of the top 64 that made the invitational over half of them are back on the list this year so far. 

Have some quit? Definitely, but **** happens and so does life. I think that overall the game is still growing.  

11 hours ago, Wave 4 for life said:

Over the past year or two we’ve noticed a drop in the skill floor and as a result players who could leverage the nuance of the game’s core mechanics to win have moved on.

The IP, friends in the community and habit keep many long time players involved but with the game’s simplification will player retention and engagement continue.

?

a lot of people gave up when power creep turned X-wing from a chess like tactics game into a MTG-like deck building game where the good cards win.

I'm not a tournament champ or anything, but I stopped playing for about 8 months after things got really stupid, and now Im playing again but only casual with house rules.

I assume almost anyone who liked what X-wing was in early waves is put off by what it is now

20 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

a lot of people gave up when power creep turned X-wing from a chess like tactics game into a MTG-like deck building game where the good cards win.

I'm not a tournament champ or anything, but I stopped playing for about 8 months after things got really stupid, and now Im playing again but only casual with house rules.

I assume almost anyone who liked what X-wing was in early waves is put off by what it is now

You nailed it. This is the perfect summary to where the game has developed.

The elegance and beauty are gone.

But somehow i still havent reached the last stage of mourning (acceptance). Each and every wave i go back to stage 1  denial for about a month. Than starts the anger (2.Stage),  leading to Stage 3 bargaining (at the forum) followed by depression....than the next wave hits the shelfs and the cycle of suffering can start again. 

According to Quantcast, fantasyflightgames.com has seen declining YoY web traffic for the last 2 years while X-Wing has been the highest selling non-collectible miniatures game since Fall 2015. The names at the top from the regionals are pretty consistent with the same names for quite a while.

It is more likely that good players have simply stopped coming to the forums as often. Good players are still beating the pants off the rest of us and there are plenty of the rest of us for them to beat. That's a lot of pants.