Sign in to follow this  
Wave 4 for life

Have most of the good players stopped playing?

Over the past year or two we’ve noticed a drop in the skill floor and as a result players who could leverage the nuance of the game’s core mechanics to win have moved on.

The IP, friends in the community and habit keep many long time players involved but with the game’s simplification will player retention and engagement continue.

?

Not by a long shot ... there are a few 'good' players bemoaning the state of the game, and some natural attrition as people who were once 'good' find other games, but fundamentally, the game is super popular, and getting more so, and new 'good' players are joining the game every week.

People still play, but the forums have taken a decline in helpful content. Not that it's bad, I just think a lot of list advice and suggestions are made via podcasts now. I know I have a severely reduced desire to post or contribute in the last two years or so.

17 minutes ago, Sekac said:

Yeah this site has been largely abandoned by most of the best players--preferring instead facebook or slack chats. But they're still playing.

Sadly, these forums have been declining in quality for some time. Lack of decent moderation hurts and it's just slowly devolved into memes, arguing and trolling instead of the useful community resource it once was. Bit of a shame really.

2 minutes ago, jesper_h said:

Sadly, these forums have been declining in quality for some time. Lack of decent moderation hurts and it's just slowly devolved into memes, arguing and trolling instead of the useful community resource it once was. Bit of a shame really.

Oh god, what have I done?!  

44 minutes ago, Keffisch said:

A few got tired of the "buy the new expansions to auto-win" model that FFG favors, but most of us are still here and we've got some new blood recently.

Luckily that has never been a thing.

Edited by DekoPuma

Trying to wrap my head around the level of hubris it takes to make this post

Maybe you're confused because the core mechanics have become less relevant as new, more complex elements have been added (meaning a new player jumping in has more to contend with, lowering the floor)?

Obligatory 1v1 me, bro

1 hour ago, jesper_h said:

bbt-Sheldon-take-it-back.gif

J/k you’re 100% right. *sigh*

1 hour ago, jesper_h said:

I do agree that there needs to be a little more moderation, but I think the arguing that I have witnessed is fine. I'm only against angry, insulting types of argument. People disagreeing on the forums is actually healthy for the community; it promotes growth, engagement between people, education and new ideas (and bad ones die off) as opposed to the cargo-cult mentality where everyone agrees with each other but doesn't really understand why they agree.

As far as the memes, well, there's nothing wrong with a little fun.

tumblr_o7eoxm1HjD1tu7563o1_400.gif

"You see, father, by causing a little destruction, I am in fact encouraging life."

- Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg