azavander

New Article - FFG Game mats

8 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

before they did mats, they advertised a box of four 18"x18" boards (made from boardgame chipboard, I think) to push together to make an X-Wing play area. It did not survive playtesting because of how easy it was to knock everything around. I'll try to find the link.

I'm just saying, their first attempts at play areas are not always good.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2013/4/15/bolder-battlefields/

found it. Lol.

Ugh. its even worse than that. 9 12"x12" boards. double-sided so you could make a planet or empty space. never mind that the whole thing is going to shuffle around at any moment. Still can't find a decent link; just one picture on Dakka Dakka. They have done a good job of purging it.

4 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

I bow to your superior google-fu

I actually just went to the last page of x-wing news on the ffg site and tracked backwards. Whats interesting to me is that x-wing really didn't seem to take off until 2015. 

(sorry for OT comment)

Edited by imlost19

The actual game is already kind of an abstraction to begin with so the terrain features aren't a huge deal to me. I think the mats look great, and are also going to be cheaper and more accessible to me cause i'm in the states. Meaning I can get them from miniaturemarket for less money. I will probably eventually get at least one of these, and I hope they do some for Endor/Hoth later in the year as well. If you want a more plain mat, there are options out there. But these are clearly very SW themed, particularly for a place like Jakku/Jedha. Not sure there are so many AT-AT ruins and debris on Tatooine which I don't believe ever saw conflict of that sort.

19 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

I really don't think you could store a proper 6x3 mouspad.  It would curl and deform.  I've seen way too many of my mates 3x3 go south from just sitting upright.

I have two 6x3 and two 3x3 mousepad mats for close to two years now for X-Wing and Armada, and keeping them rolled up in a tube the whole time. No damage or curling has ever happened to them. At all. They're 100% perfect as the day I bought them. The trick is to lay them down in the tube, and use them. I'd never *ever* leave them vertical.

Edited by Slugrage

1 hour ago, Slugrage said:

I have two 6x3 and two 3x3 mousepad mats for close to two years now for X-Wing and Armada, and keeping them rolled up in a tube the whole time. No damage or curling has ever happened to them. At all. They're 100% perfect as the day I bought them. The trick is to lay them down in the tube, and use them. I'd never *ever* leave them vertical.

perhaps environment matters, I've seen several bubble up and they get used all the time at the store I frequent.

I don't mind two 3x3 mats, but I don't like the 2D looking terrain on these mats. FFG could have varied the ground like other mat makers, but not with 2D terrain, especially when this game screams for 3D terrain.  

Maybe the Desert Ruins one, but not the junkyard. I agree that for the most part, these are very "busy" mats. But the ruins one definitely looks cool. I'll wait for a youtube review from someone to see their thoughts and different angles of the mat.

Otherwise, this is a pass.

4 hours ago, Collins said:

with regards to cost of the mats. they are roughly the same prices as other neoprene mats

http://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-wild-west/ for example is €64 for a 6x3

current exchange rate according to google

80 US Dollar equals
64.70 Euro

Yeah but Deepcut Studios charges a ton for shipping also.  I think mine was over 30 bucks extra just for shipping so that really helps drive up the cost.   Granted it is an AMAZING playmat and totally worth it.... but still it's expensive. 

On 3/13/2018 at 12:54 PM, AintNoPoser said:

Why not just use the Runewars grass mat? That's what we used for the demo. Looked really good too.

This is a great idea and I'm sure many will do this - but to be honest - desert buildings, and terrain pieces will look better on a tan mat than a green mat.  

Personally I'm fine with them making terrain mats like this - if you are a player who for whatever reason, doesn't have terrain available, then you can pretend that the drawn terrain pieces have their own elevation and use that for blocking and height, (just decide what is what beforehand).  

However, I would personally NEVER play Legion like this - There is just too much enjoyment out of using an actual battlefield with actual terrain.  I seriously hope they don't try to say something like these playmats are official for tournaments and you HAVE to play Legion flat in any OP event.  I'd be sorely disappointed.  

5 minutes ago, Crabbok said:

Personally I'm fine with them making terrain mats like this - if you are a player who for whatever reason, doesn't have terrain available, then you can pretend that the drawn terrain pieces have their own elevation and use that for blocking and height, (just decide what is what beforehand).  

However, I would personally NEVER play Legion like this - There is just too much enjoyment out of using an actual battlefield with actual terrain.  I seriously hope they don't try to say something like these playmats are official for tournaments and you HAVE to play Legion flat in any OP event.  I'd be sorely disappointed.  

This is where I'm at. I think it's cool that such a product exists, but if the OP rules come out and say "Legion mats only", and we haven't gotten a more generic mat...

19 minutes ago, svelok said:

This is where I'm at. I think it's cool that such a product exists, but if the OP rules come out and say "Legion mats only", and we haven't gotten a more generic mat...

Yeah if that were to happen it would be bad.   I"m not saying I'd burn down a village and steal their horses.... but when you see me on a new horse I'll let you draw your own conclusion. 

29 minutes ago, svelok said:

They tried this with X-Wing and it was quickly ignored and dropped. **** their rule of official cards only has been openly snubbed at Nationals and Worlds with custom fan made alt arts, just don't change bases or use certain acrylics and they seem not to care. I would not worry about needing FFG mats.

44 minutes ago, Big Easy said:

Man we invent some crazy things to get worried about! :D They will not be saying "Legion mats only."

It's been the case in their previous games.

Obviously, for normal games, you can do whatever you like; but for Organized Play, the require their mats.

Just now, svelok said:

It's been the case in their previous games.

That's a fair point. However based largely on the nature of a TT wargame, I can't see FFG requiring a playing surface unless they provide it themselves (which may be the case at larger events).  And at the marquee events I envision them providing custom built terrain similar to what you saw on the demo run by Alex Davy last year.