Sign in to follow this  
codegnave

Caitken and Shollan on an Ackbar MC-30

They seems like a good way to get rerolls for your 4 red dice, or for your black dice should it come to that. They are flexible, which is better than Ordnance Experts for Ackbar.

Are Gunnery Teams often put on Ackbar MC-30s? If so, is that second attack on a different ship better than rerolls on one attack?

I like the idea of Admonition with Caitken and Shollan, and Defiance being a gun line while Salvation finishes off escapees. It just gets expensive fast with the upgrades i want, and then light on effect squad cover.

I think that’s a great call. I usually prefer  Ordnance Experts, but The Twins would allow you to get better mileage out of the red dice. Gunnery teams are useful but you are a hostage to the dice gods (unless you take TRCs too, which gets expensive).

I might borrow that idea!

I think the Mon Calbinos are a good fit on an Ackbar Scout MC30 for the reasons you gave, yes.

I've been meaning to try them on a whaling Ackbar Assault Frigate with Intel Officer, Slaved Turrets(/Enhanced Armament if you don't want the downside at a higher cost), and using concentrate fire. That's 7 rerollable red dice with the Intel Officer giving the stink-eye to the brace token in most cases.

Im not sure about scout in an ackbar fleet. If you want to ackbar, id suggest assault frigates, h1 and intensify firepower makes their fire pretty consistant. If you want to mc30, go torpedo with oe, h9, acm/apt/er, admo. Sfo is nice cheap ugrade them. But just to roll 4 red... im not sold. 

For the twins, id suggest mc75 armored cruiser with sato. Heavy ion emplacements, acm, turbolaser of choice(qbt for me). While opponent has shields, you swap your dices to blue and burn it with ion crits. Once in black range you swap to black dices and fish for black crits. 

I think Caitken and Shollan are a fine choice on an Ackbar MC30. I’m actually more curious about this bit:

1 hour ago, codegnave said:

Salvation finishes off escapees.

Salvation seems counter-intuitive to me in an Ackbar fleet. Surely there are better options for the same points or less.

Side note:

1 hour ago, Mundo said:

The Twins

53 minutes ago, Snipafist said:

Mon Calbinos

What else are people calling them?

10 minutes ago, jmswood said:

I think Caitken and Shollan are a fine choice on an Ackbar MC30. I’m actually more curious about this bit:

Salvation seems counter-intuitive to me in an Ackbar fleet. Surely there are better options for the same points or less.

Side note:

I have used Salvation in an Ackbar fleet a few times. It has lived each time and performed beautifully. Slow roll it up the middle, and rip shields off as the rest of your fleet flanks. By the time everything is out of Salvations front arc, you can usually pull off a double Broadside on 2 very wounded ships. Makes an excellent chaser. You can even add TRC if you are wanting to be sure to do the job. ;)

Edited by cynanbloodbane

11 minutes ago, jmswood said:

Side note:

Caitlin & Shannon

1 hour ago, Snipafist said:

I've been meaning to try them on a whaling Ackbar Assault Frigate with Intel Officer, Slaved Turrets(/Enhanced Armament if you don't want the downside at a higher cost), and using concentrate fire. That's 7 rerollable red dice with the Intel Officer giving the stink-eye to the brace token in most cases.

Do it! It’s fun- I’ve used that as the flagship in an ackbar TRC90 swarm, but I haven’t played it much recently since people have found out how good EWS is

I’ve always been a big fan of Salvation in my Ackbar fleets.  Lately though it’s been replaced with an IF! Command Pelta with Dcaps.   Less damage for the trailer, but IF! is just so good for the rest of the fleet.  

To the OPs point I can see using C&S on a 30 Scout, but I usually go GT.  IF! means you don’t need the re-rolls as much.   I like the 30 Scout as the lead ship in the gunline.  The small base makes it tough to block, the black dice punish anyone getting close, and the extra nag helps swing the line around quickly.  

4 hours ago, Coldhands said:

Im not sure about scout in an ackbar fleet. If you want to ackbar, id suggest assault frigates, h1 and intensify firepower makes their fire pretty consistant. If you want to mc30, go torpedo with oe, h9, acm/apt/er, admo. Sfo is nice cheap ugrade them. But just to roll 4 red... im not sold. 

For the twins, id suggest mc75 armored cruiser with sato. Heavy ion emplacements, acm, turbolaser of choice(qbt for me). While opponent has shields, you swap your dices to blue and burn it with ion crits. Once in black range you swap to black dices and fish for black crits. 

The Scout is excellent in an Ackbar fleet because of Foresight and the redundant token defenses along with excellent maneuver chart.

29 minutes ago, codegnave said:

I'd be lying if I said I didnt just watch your video about it the other day shmitty, haha

As for Assault Frigates? I dont have one! (And i think it is very ugly...)

Always good to hear when people find inspiration from the videos.   

4 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

The Scout is excellent in an Ackbar fleet because of Foresight and the redundant token defenses along with excellent maneuver chart.

Its either no evade or 4 red... sort of underwhelming. For how many points? 69 vs 72, naked. Excellent? Corvettes is excellent. At speed 3 its good, speed 4 is meh.

On 13/03/2018 at 9:38 AM, codegnave said:

They seems like a good way to get rerolls for your 4 red dice, or for your black dice should it come to that. They are flexible, which is better than Ordnance Experts for Ackbar.

Are Gunnery Teams often put on Ackbar MC-30s? If so, is that second attack on a different ship better than rerolls on one attack?

I like the idea of Admonition with Caitken and Shollan, and Defiance being a gun line while Salvation finishes off escapees. It just gets expensive fast with the upgrades i want, and then light on effect squad cover.

Wow, what a cool idea. I still do not have the vision to ride combos. I loved this one.