Surak

Double E-wing list

ok so I've been theorying some lists up again, ahead of a casual game on Thursday and I remembered that I've got two E-wings gathering dust at the bottom of my case.

Now here is what I've come up with, and I know its not going to be top-tier meta. Suggestions welcomed, but please stick to the E-wing spaceframe :)

98pts - Double E's

Etahan - VI, Sensor Jammer, Proton Torp, R2 Astro, Engine Upgrade.

Coran - VI, FCS, Advanced Proton Torp, R2-D2, Engine upgrade

regards

• I'm not convinced by Advanced Torpedoes on Corran.
    • You only have one action, meaning you can focus or target lock or boost; using Advanced Torps effectively generally requires two and sometimes all three.
    • Yes, you can pick up a target lock with Fire Control System and then use your second shot to fire them, but that requires you to focus and then not spend the focus token on your shot or on evading any shots coming back at you; which is potentially a bad plan when you must be at range 1 for this option to pop up...
    • R2-D2 remains a good option because he's so darn expensive!
    • Expertise might be a better plan; that way you get focus on both shots when double-tapping, and you get your Fire Control System target lock - meaning you get your advanced torpedo shot entirely with 'free' tokens - meaning you can use your action to boost or barrel roll and set up the shot in the first place, or to evade and make sure you live long enough to fire it.
    • That would be a net 3 point increase, which means you need to drop Etahn's cost and/or take it out of your initiative bid.
  • Etahn A'Baht....seems to have a pretty confused loadout.
    • Veteran Instincts only increases his PS from PS5 to PS7 and that's not actually doing that much for him. That doesn't let him change movement and firing order with Corran, and whilst he's already beating most generic pilots you're likely to see (PS2/PS4 Gunboats, PS3 Lothal Rebels & Wookies, PS4 Black Squadron) but PS7 isn't enough to compete with most 'aces'.
    • Sensor Jammer is very, very expensive (4 points!) for....what? It's not a bad upgrade, but it's only really going to earn its keep if you are pairing it with the means of reliably stopping the attacker modifying the focus result back. It works a treat in a squad with Fenn Rau, or Carnor Jax, or other stress dealers or token strippers. On its own...it's a bit so-so, especially since harpoon and cruise missiles (the other thing it's good against) are likely to be fired at Corran, not him, given a choice.
    • Proton torpedoes aren't great compared to newer missiles, but they're not bad. If you can catch a target with shields down, the ability to (in theory) almost guarantee a double critical can really mess up a high hull, low agility ship. If you've already got expertise, though, you might as well swap to Plasma Torpedoes and save a point, or else upgrade to Ion Torpedoes for a point (not a bad idea since with 2 fragile ship's you're going to need to box clever, but probably a bad pairing for range 1 advanced proton torpedoes).
    • R2 Astromech is only really worth it if either (a) you plan to self-stress a lot or (b) you are using it to 'fuel' Integrated Astromech. For the same price I'd pack Flight Assist Astromech, or else seriously consider leaving the slot open. Given that getting his arc on the target not only boosts his shots but Corran's as well, I'd say Flight Assist Astromech is the best choice
    • Engine Upgrade - very expensive, but again you lack the 'spare' actions to use it - a better shot with no tokens is generally pretty much the same effectiveness as a good shot without them, and at PS5 (or 7) you lack the ability to boost 'reactively'. Plus, even without engine upgrade you still have the ability to Barrel Roll.
    • I would again swap to Expertise and Fire Control system (increasing Etahn's cost by 1), change R2 to Flight Assist Astromech (no net cost) and swap Engine Upgrade to Guidance Chips (saves 4 points, paying for the changes to Etahn and paying for the changes to Corran).

• Corran Horn
    • Expertise
    • Fire Control System
    • Advanced Proton Torpedoes
    • R2-D2
    • Engine Upgrade
  • Etahn A'Baht
    • Expertise
    • Fire Control System
    • Plasma Torpedoes
    • Flight Assist Astromech
    • Guidance Chips
  • 3 Point Initiative Bid

some nice, well thought out, comments there - thank you.

I'm not sure how, but I had completely managed to forget Expertise - despite owning 2 U-wings! - so that is definitely a sensible idea.

plasmas in for protons also makes complete sense, as does swapping sensor jammer for FCS (i only put the jammer in as its done good service for me in HotAC).

however, I really don't get much mileage out of Flight Assist Astromech - I'm actually tempted to drop a little bit of the bid and take R7-T1, M9-G8, or R5-P9 on Etahan to give him either better action economy, better support, or some regen.

1 hour ago, Surak said:

however, I really don't get much mileage out of Flight Assist Astromech - I'm actually tempted to drop a little bit of the bid and take R7-T1, M9-G8, or R5-P9 on Etahan to give him either better action economy, better support, or some regen.

Of the three; I would say R5-P9:

• M9-G8 gives you the ability to hand passive rerolls to Corran....who doesn't really need them, already having a Fire Control System.
  • R7-T1 is very nice - spending a single action for a free target lock and boost is a good deal, but (a) you already get free locks from the Fire Control System and (b) boosting close to the enemy, whilst good for Advanced-Torpedo-armed Corran Horn, isn't ideal for the range 2-3 of regular torpedoes.
  • R5-P9 has potential; you can focus for defence and recover a shield if you don't end up needing it. It means Etahn can't be ignored in favour of your opponent focusing on Corran, since that still leaves an expertise, regen-capable ship to deal with in the endgame.
1 hour ago, Surak said:

plasmas in for protons also makes complete sense, as does swapping sensor jammer for FCS (i only put the jammer in as its done good service for me in HotAC).

It's not a bad upgrade by any stretch of the imagination, but it does really need some means of removing opponent's tokens. In HotAC, the bulk of your opponents are low PS TIE fighters, who have already spent focus to defend against your attacks, and/or lost tokens due to pulling red moves, having them stolen by Wes Janson or Hotshot Copilot, you name it. Add in that it's stopping a hit on every one of the two-dice attacks and it's an awesome upgrade.

By comparison, against 2-3 opponents, either using mines, auto-damage effects or shooting first with either focus tokens, expertise, or similar "what are these 'core rules' of which you speak?" that make up the bulk of opponents these days, it's not reliable without some means in your squad to force them to deal with it.

11 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Of the three; I would say R5-P9:

• M9-G8 gives you the ability to hand passive rerolls to Corran....who doesn't really need them, already having a Fire Control System.
  • R7-T1 is very nice - spending a single action for a free target lock and boost is a good deal, but (a) you already get free locks from the Fire Control System and (b) boosting close to the enemy, whilst good for Advanced-Torpedo-armed Corran Horn, isn't ideal for the range 2-3 of regular torpedoes.
  • R5-P9 has potential; you can focus for defence and recover a shield if you don't end up needing it. It means Etahn can't be ignored in favour of your opponent focusing on Corran, since that still leaves an expertise, regen-capable ship to deal with in the endgame

thats pretty close to my reasoning on creating the 3-droid short list, and I agree that R5-P9 is definitely a good way of making sure Etahan has the potential to be a late-game threat.

and I also completely get where you are coming from on the "core rules, what core rules" abilities that seem to be everywhere these days.

If I were doing double E-wings, I'd do something like this:

Corran Horn (35)
Push the Limit (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
R2-D2 (4)

Etahn A'baht (32)
Push the Limit (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
BB-8 (2)

AP-5 (15)
Inspiring Recruit (1)
R2 Astromech (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Trim all that fat and you can have a wonderful support piece that keeps both E-wings doing 4 actions a turn!

12 hours ago, Surak said:

some nice, well thought out, comments there - thank you.

I'm not sure how, but I had completely managed to forget Expertise - despite owning 2 U-wings! - so that is definitely a sensible idea.

Put R5-P9 on Ethan. 

3 hours ago, dsh7718 said:

How about this list. 

(98)

•Corran Horn (51) - E-Wing
Push The Limit (3), •R2-D2 (4), Fire Control System (2), Plasma Torpedoes (3), Engine Upgrade (4)

•Etahn A'baht (47) - E-Wing
Push The Limit (3), •R5-P9 (3), Fire Control System (2), Plasma Torpedoes (3), Engine Upgrade (4)

That looks like fun :D

10 hours ago, Sekac said:

Corran Horn (35)
Push the Limit (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
R2-D2 (4)

Etahn A'baht (32)
Push the Limit (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
BB-8 (2)

AP-5 (15)
Inspiring Recruit (1)
R2 Astromech (1)

Trim all that fat and you can have a wonderful support piece that keeps both E-wings doing 4 actions a turn!

And so does this! I'd love to get my E-Wings on the table again!

13 hours ago, Sekac said:

Corran Horn (35)
Push the Limit (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
R2-D2 (4)

Etahn A'baht (32)
Push the Limit (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
BB-8 (2)

AP-5 (15)
Inspiring Recruit (1)
R2 Astromech (1)

yeh there is quite a bit of fat in the double E list, i did originally have a Blackmoon Squadron in there as well to put 3 E's on the table, but that left too few points to actually do anything with the ships in terms of upgrades.

I've not had my bug-shuttle on the table yet, so this may be just the excuse I was looking for!

Edited by Surak

I’ll peddle my personal favorite Etahn build, in pretty much any E-Wing thread that gets brought up.  Since you want double E-Wings:

E-wing Formation (98)

•Etahn A'baht (44) - E-Wing
Snap Shot (2)

•R3-A2 (2)

Fire Control System (2)

Advanced Proton Torpedoes (6)

Guidance Chips (0)

•Corran Horn (54) - E-Wing
Expertise (4)

•R2-D2 (4)

Fire Control System (2)

Ion Torpedoes (5)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Easily the dirtiest Etahn build.  Move in to position, take a focus, unleash the kraken.

If we are sticking with 2 Es (not 2 Es and a support), I would suggest this:

Corran

Expertise

FCS

Hull Upgrade

R2-D2

Plasma Torps

Etahn

Expertise

FCS

Hull Upgrade

R5-P9

Plasma Torps

Now these guys are FAT. If I were to try fly 2 Es, I probably go light, with a third ship

On 3/14/2018 at 2:41 PM, Phelan Boots said:

I’ll peddle my personal favorite Etahn build, in pretty much any E-Wing thread that gets brought up.  Since you want double E-Wings:

E-wing Formation (98)

•Etahn A'baht (44) - E-Wing
Snap Shot (2)

•R3-A2 (2)

Fire Control System (2)

Advanced Proton Torpedoes (6)

Guidance Chips (0)

•Corran Horn (54) - E-Wing
Expertise (4)

•R2-D2 (4)

Fire Control System (2)

Ion Torpedoes (5)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Easily the dirtiest Etahn build.  Move in to position, take a focus, unleash the kraken.

Interesting Etahn build. What's the reason for stressbot? To prevent the snapshotted ship from boosting out of arc?

42 minutes ago, gjnido said:

Interesting Etahn build. What's the reason for stressbot? To prevent the snapshotted ship from boosting out of arc?

Basically, yes.  Use the snap shot to apply a stress and acquire a target lock with FCS.  If you took a Focus as your action, (and you can hold it until you shoot) you end up with a range 1, focus + target lock shot (with or without APTs) against a ship that probably didn’t get to take an action.

Also, you can double stress your target in the combat phase.  I usually run Etahn without the APT, alongside a crew carrier with Kanan/Inspiring Recruit.

Edited by Phelan Boots

19 minutes ago, Phelan Boots said:

Basically, yes.  Use the snap shot to apply a stress and acquire a target lock with FCS.  If you took a Focus as your action, (and you can hold it until you shoot) you end up with a range 1, focus + target lock shot (with or without APTs) against a ship that probably didn’t get to take an action.

Also, you can double stress your target in the combat phase.  I usually run Etahn without the APT, alongside a crew carrier with Kanan/Inspiring Recruit.

Nice. Who's your usual wingman? A wookie?

ok, flew this last night against an imperial list of The Inquisiotor, Howlrunner, and captain oicunn (setup for stress control and bump-damage)

Corran Horn
Expertise
Fire Control System
Advanced Proton Torpedoes
R2-D2
Engine Upgrade

Etahn A'Baht
Expertise
Fire Control System
Plasma Torpedoes
R5-P9 
Guidance Chips

and quite frankly, i messed it up completely.

I was far too aggressive with the E's, getting Coran killed by turn three - due to some exceptionally poor positioning on my part - and Etahan only lasted another turn. All for no losses on the imperial side.

the main thing I learnt from the game was this - I am completely out of practice with my E's (which used to be one of my go-to ships :( ) as 

still we had time for a second game with different lists, and it was a much closer so we both ended the night with a win a piece.