Sign in to follow this  
TylerTT

Legion is not a “tournament” minitures game and I could not be more pleased with that.

I’m so happy with the announced organized play program.

I don’t have to worry about playing against a clock,

I can enjoy the game and see a story unfold and then maybe I get a momento.

I still have my coins from my warmachine days and I smile whenever I see them. 

If I want the thrill of competition I still have three great starwars options from FFG (destiny, x-wing, Imperial Assault) I did not want legion to try and replace IA and it’s clearly not doing that.

Sure, armada also gets squeezed into competitive events even though it is also an ill suited game.

This game looks to have a core of fun and intresting organized play and competition as a side show. 

Legion will be a competitive tournament miniatures game. It will also be an organized league game. It will also be a super casual home game. If you like only one of those modes and not the others, I see no issue. Fun for everyone!

What I am excited about is that Legion seems to be the only FFG with organized campaign play. I wouldn't mind seeing that in the other games too, but I'm glad Legion is getting it first!

Edited by Big Easy

40 minutes ago, AintNoPoser said:

On the Veers article: 

You can look for the General Veers Commander Expansion (SWL10) at your local retailer in the first quarter of 2018!

How is that going to happen without it coming out either the same day as Legion's release or the week after? If it is the week after, why haven't they given it a firm date? The Spanish FFG site has the release down as April, and it is the first source that had March 22 as the release for the Core.

5 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

How is that going to happen without it coming out either the same day as Legion's release or the week after? If it is the week after, why haven't they given it a firm date? The Spanish FFG site has the release down as April, and it is the first source that had March 22 as the release for the Core.

I’ve received preorder emails for the first wave, but not the 2nd, so I wouldn’t expect to see anything from wave 2 prior to April. 

6 minutes ago, Derrault said:

I’ve received preorder emails for the first wave, but not the 2nd, so I wouldn’t expect to see anything from wave 2 prior to April. 

Agreed. Which is the start of the second quarter. I think it's another case of the date not being updated, like when the initial Rebel Trooper preview said something like March 8th.

5 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

Just kind of a nitpick, but I think we should stop saying "wave"? at the GAMA trade show it was said (at an Asmodee panel I think, but still) that Legion is intended for monthly releases or faster so "wave" doesn't really work. 

Can you offer another term to quickly indicate a set of releases? I agree we should all strive to use correct terminology, but I don't know what is appropriate here.

Legion seems to lend itself very well to comptetitive play. Streamlined rules, clear armybuilding with little abusive potential (up to now), important turn 0 decisions (terrain, mission, deployment) - everything points at a very tactical game in which every decision counts towards your victory. Playtime seems to be at the sweet spot for tournament play - not too long, not too short - I estimate around 90min. 

I am looking forward for Legion to push through the competetive scene. Can't wait for the tournament ruleset.

1 hour ago, AintNoPoser said:

Can we use the term "seasonal" or "monthly" release?

Assuming the game is less radically redefined by its new releases than X-Wing (I'd very much like to still be playing Vader this fall, thanks) I'm hoping that players treat the release cycle more like Runewars anyway.  Stuff is just released but after release it doesn't really matter WHEN it was released that its worth tracking what wave we're on.  I assume based on the announcement timing that we'll be getting Veers and co a month before Leia anyway, so we can get to place that most hobby games are in where we're just discussing release dates of upcoming products and treating everything that's available as part of the fabric of the game.