GrimmyV

Boycotting TLJ Blu-ray, really?

4 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

I’m not an English major, so I’m not qualified as to what is good or bad writing beyond what I like or don’t like.  So yeah.

I have no problem if you like or dislike something.  I have a problem when people say its good story writing when Disney destroys character arcs from previous movies with a few lines of dialog or flash backs that make zero sense.  Sure enough, you can 'like' that, but please don't tell us its good story telling, ok?

6 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

Yeah, watch the whole interviews, that was taken out of context.

Mark Hamil Repeatedly said the same thing about his character Luke Skywalker in MANY different interviews.  There is no taking it out of context.  Here is a good overview of what Mark said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypt6XAsrhPA.  Can you please explain what you mean by 'out of context'?

11 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

I just don’t get how the base has become even more broken over time, in tandem with the ultra-polarization of politics in USA and the world.

Kathleen Kennedy inserted politics into the latest SW movies.  The entire Cantobyte sequence for instance is a jab at Capitalism (which is hypocritical considering its from Disney, one of the biggest capitalistic companies on this planet).  Again, Kathleen and Disney destroyed characters from the original trilogy; hence why many original trilogy fans don't like the new movies.  It seems easy enough for me to understand why the Disney SW movies broke Star Wars even more than the prequels.  Maybe if I had my fanboy blinders on and ignored these big issues with the movies, I wouldn't be able to see it too.

4 minutes ago, Rexler Brath said:

It seems easy enough for me to understand why the Disney SW movies broke Star Wars even more than the prequels.  Maybe if I had my fanboy blinders on and ignored these big issues with the movies, I wouldn't be able to see it too.

Unfortunately, it seems like a large percentage of the fanbase will financially support anything Disney puts out with "Star Wars" slapped on it.  Lord Mickey is here to save them from the prequels, the Vong, Lucas himself, or whatever they thought was wrong with Star Wars before Disney bought it, and come **** or high water, these fans will support him. 

4 hours ago, Rexler Brath said:

You may need to rewatch episode 4.  Vader says to Lei:

Vader needs to forget all that happened in his battle to say that line.  Star Wars fans tend to overlook such problems and pass them off as 'awkward'.  Why?

Show not tell, is good story telling.  Han had a character ARC.  Do you know what a character ARC is?  Its something that characters go through in GOOD STORIES.  What Disney did to the old characters was destroy their character ARCS from the original trilogy, IE, make their arcs meaningless.  If you wanted to show Han and Luke washed up nobodies, than you need to have a GREAT story telling how that happened.  Because at the end of ROTJ, those characters went through major arcs to get where they were.  You simply cannot put in a few pieces of dialog that dismantles their arcs and call that 'good writing'.

It’s one thing to be mad at what we see on screen or read in books, but to be mad at things from mis-quoting it will invalidate your argument. 

Yeah Canto Byte was...not a good subplot, for many reasons.  The pacing was off, it took away from the urgency of the fleet situation.  There were many, many different ways to get Finn on the Supremacy.  And the animal rights politics is out of place in a galaxy that should be more concerned about actual sentient slaves.  But the message about anti-capitalism is not there, it’s an anti-war-profiteering message, one that is appropriste for a franchise called Star Wars.

I guess what I’m really after is why is the fandom so completely polarized at a time when we have new movies coming out YEARLY with multiple projects going and hit miniatures games.  And it’s not because Star Wars suddenly became political, it was born of an anti-war message as well as other left-leaning ideals.  I guess it’s because a woman has come along to burn everything down from your childhood memories and toys and EU books, and replaced it with pink cat ear hats 

Canto Bight*****

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

I guess what I’m really after is why is the fandom so completely polarized at a time when we have new movies coming out YEARLY with multiple projects going and hit miniatures games.  And it’s not because Star Wars suddenly became political, it was born of an anti-war message as well as other left-leaning ideals.  I guess it’s because a woman has come along to burn everything down from your childhood memories and toys and EU books, and replaced it with pink cat ear hats 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haven't you heard? Everything new is terrible.

I will straight up admit TLJ has flaws. I will also admit that Star Wars is a franchise rife with completely stupid crap. It always has been! But I guess because the internet allows everybody to have a megaphone, we can hear just how terribly angry everybody is with every little thing in their lives now.

2 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

And it’s not because Star Wars suddenly became political, it was born of an anti-war message as well as other left-leaning ideals. 

I really think you are misremembering the original trilogy.  Please have a rewarch before making such obviously wrong statements.

The throne room in ep 4 celebrated the mass murder and destruction of the death star.  That is right.  They were celebrating WAR.  Space ships dog fighting, lots of explosions and lots of lasers killing people.  How is that anti-war?

let me know when u have rewatched the originals and then we can continue this discussion.  Otherwise, I am done communicating with u.

9 hours ago, Rexler Brath said:

The lines you posted or the lines I posted still doesn't make sense.  VADER SAW the plans being hand delivered, not BEAMED.  Again, fanboys gonna do what fanboys do best, ignore the giant plot holes

The plans were beamed to the ship the Tantive IV was on.  What Vader said was true... from a certain point of view.

Seriously, if that's what amounts to a "giant plot hole" for you, you need to wind your neck in a bit.

Also Luke drinking green space walrus milk direct from the teat was one of the least objectionable parts of VIII - HE WAS TRYING TO GET RID OF REY - acting like a crazy old man was kind of the point.

Edited by FTS Gecko

22 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

I'm boycotting the Blu Ray.

Because I don't have a Blu Ray player.  I'l get the DVD.

Have you seen a Wookiee’s eyes in Blu Rey?

It’s Life (Debt) changing.   

I’ll show myself out.

??‍♂️ . . .

9467nqvtdnl01.jpg

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

6 hours ago, Rexler Brath said:

I really think you are misremembering the original trilogy.  Please have a rewarch before making such obviously wrong statements.

The throne room in ep 4 celebrated the mass murder and destruction of the death star.  That is right.  They were celebrating WAR.  Space ships dog fighting, lots of explosions and lots of lasers killing people.  How is that anti-war?

let me know when u have rewatched the originals and then we can continue this discussion.  Otherwise, I am done communicating with u.

Pretty sure that the ceremony was to honor the heroes that ended the empire’s ability to destroy planets and commit mass murder.

or an homage to triumph of the will.

Disney SW, flawed as it is (oh so flawed), still better than SW from the late 80s.  The true dark times.  SW seemed to be truely dead, but thank the maker SW was only sleeping, waiting the greatest game series to introduce the greatest star fighters in the galaxy:  GUNBOAT and HER friends Missile Boat, Defender and Avenger.  Oh, and there was this Thrawn guy, he might have had a hand in ending the dark times as well.

9 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

Who cares how often they put out movies if they're awful?

11 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

Unfortunately, it seems like a large percentage of the fanbase will financially support anything Disney puts out with "Star Wars" slapped on it.  Lord Mickey is here to save them from the prequels, the Vong, Lucas himself, or whatever they thought was wrong with Star Wars before Disney bought it, and come **** or high water, these fans will support him. 

Yeah but Its a shrinking Percentage Films Make Less Each Time And Toy Sales Are Slumping You Can Easily Find Figures From Tfa Two Years On, Tlj Stuff Was On Clearence A Month After The Film Hit Cinemas And They've Cancelled Several Toy Lines They Had In Production.n

Disney Is Fast Killing The Franchise.

13 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Who cares how often they put out movies if they're awful?

That’s how I felt in the 90s during the deluge of questionable-to-worse novels.   

It’s all relative I guess.  Some people think the new movies are utter crap (or udder, in that one scene), and some folks are able to enjoy the movies despite the flaws and unanticipated direction of the narrative.  

If you don’t enjoy a movie, then that movie isn’t your cup of tea.  If it’s a movie set in a beloved franchise or starring beloved characters and there’s a sudden change in subject matter or tone then not everyone will be able to enjoy those changes.  Superman II had Clark and Lois having sex at niagra falls after the secret identity was finally revealed to Ms Lane.  This was actually shocking for an audience that had grown up with the 1950s Adventures of Superman series.

at any rate, I’d love for the debates about the present and future of SW to be civil, respectful and intelligent but the last 20 or so years have shown SW fans to be the absolute worst when it comes to critiquing new franchise material.  Nerd rage, knee jerk reactions, ‘it’s for kids/all ages’, and the current Disney/Kathleen backlash can perhaps all be boiled down to this:

SW fans love the idea of Star Wars, but they hate anything that’s not their idea of SW.  and just like the Sith, they only deal in absolutes.

10 minutes ago, Hobojebus said:

Yeah but Its a shrinking Percentage Films Make Less Each Time And Toy Sales Are Slumping You Can Easily Find Figures From Tfa Two Years On, Tlj Stuff Was On Clearence A Month After The Film Hit Cinemas And They've Cancelled Several Toy Lines They Had In Production.n

Yeah, the toys sales being down probably has more to do with Hasbro charging too much for lower quality and changing play patterns of modern kids, and that the action figure market is clearly split into ‘collectibles’ and ‘kid stuff’ with SW trying to be both and failing to appeal to either audience with things like 150 dollar (or more?) lights and sounds kessel-run falcons and AT-ACT walkers that figures can’t properly fit into.  There’s also the ever difficult task to sell kids on old people or just plain human character action figures, aliens and monsters are the big sellers.

At least LEGO is doing better.

I'm not going to dissect the sequel trilogy, because I have had the least time to do so. I marginally liked them, but I said the same of each of the prequel trilogy moments after leaving the theater. While I had plenty of problems with TFA mostly because of how safe it was, I think TLJ is a better film, but a worse Star Wars movie. Here is why the prequels are bad, each in 5 sentences or less:

1. TPM is a bad film, but the majority of the problems can be leveled at Jar Jar. The 4 simultaneous endings going on don't help anything, the podracing scene is pointless and overly long, and the political maneuvering makes no sense because the author doesn't understand politics. Lacking a clearly identifiable main character hurts (hint: it should be Padme, but the "surprise" reveal that she and the Queen are really one and the same ruins that.) The best thing that can be said of this movie is that it does have a proper beginning, middle, and end to the film, unlike the 2 that follow it.
  2. AotC is truly a terrible film. There are so many glaring problems and very few good moments. From the Republic unquestioningly accepting an army of clones of the only real bad guy for the first 2/3 of the movie, to Boba merely being a clone of his father, to the already mentioned stilted romance dialogue, it really fails because it tries so very hard to mimic ESB without any substance to it.
  3. RotS is arguably the best of the prequel trilogy, but mostly due to a near complete lack of Jar Jar, which bogs down its only competitor. It still fails to have a complete beginning, middle, and end like the immediate predecessor. Obi-Wan raising his lightsaber in surprise at Anakin in the elevator was by far the most out of character thing that Obi-Wan has ever done. Also suffers from the same awful dialogue of EP2. The lightsaber fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin doesn't have the weight it should; instead it is all flash instead of substance.

14 hours ago, Rexler Brath said:

Nobody should communicate with somebody who can't even take the time to type out "You" instead of "U' on a sodding forum.

6 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

Please tell me that in your quest for proper punctuation you didn't just now discover what capitalization was, and applied it to everything?

6 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

Yeah, the toys sales being down probably has more to do with Hasbro charging too much for lower quality and changing play patterns of modern kids, and that the action figure market is clearly split into ‘collectibles’ and ‘kid stuff’ with SW trying to be both and failing to appeal to either audience with things like 150 dollar (or more?) lights and sounds kessel-run falcons and AT-ACT walkers that figures can’t properly fit into.  There’s also the ever difficult task to sell kids on old people or just plain human character action figures, aliens and monsters are the big sellers.

WHAT NO, B, IT HAS TO BE BECAUSE THE KIDS HATE THE NEW MOVIES IT HAS TO VINDICATE MY QUASI MIDDLE AGED RAGE IT LITERALLY CAN NOT BE THAT THE TOYS JUST SUCK NO WAY.
Because wow do they ever suck, they are NOT as good as they were in 2005. Holy crap.

16 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Nobody should communicate with somebody who can't even take the time to type out "You" instead of "U' on a sodding forum.

Have you ever visited the forum on a mobile phone?  Have you ever responded to a post on a mobile phone?  Do you ever think about a post before writing one?

31 minutes ago, Rexler Brath said:

Have you ever visited the forum on a mobile phone?  Have you ever responded to a post on a mobile phone?  Do you ever think about a post before writing one?

1: No because I have this wonderful thing called patience.
2: No, because I have this wonderful thing called patience.
3: Of course. Every post is deliberated over in some fashion. Like deciding not to demand apologies from people.

Edited by Captain Lackwit

8 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

1 hour ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Please tell me that in your quest for proper punctuation you didn't just now discover what capitalization was, and applied it to everything?

It's easier if you just refer to the acronym:

YIPFMLETATSASYCEFFFTTYOTSWOCAMATFHCATCSTLTHIPDIFKTF

13 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Honestly, it's not worth the effort.

Yeah, I posted it and then a tought occured: "If I down it, I'll probably have to watch it again... Not really looking forward to it."

Same when they re-made the Thing. Downed it to see what the damage was and being glad the studios didn't make any money of me for that crap.