GrimmyV

Boycotting TLJ Blu-ray, really?

So there’s a few YouTube guys talking about boycotting the video release of ep VIII at the end of the month because of REASONS, but really?  Was this movie the worst thing to ever happen to SW?

in 2002 there was a brand new SW movie in theaters and I didn’t even bother to see it, and I didn’t for at least two years after.  I had no desire.  This, coming from a true die hard SW Uber fan, with the OT running in my veins and original broken Kenner toys still proudly displayed and occasionally played with.  But no, AotC was just too much.  The romance of the ages was not to be, replaced with sand and super confusing and stupid plot.  As my friends one by one told me about it, the worse it seemed.  And all desire to see an actual George Lucas directed brand new SW movie in first run theatrical release was killed.  It was the moon hitting Chewie again, it was jar jar binks again, it was the Ewoks burping and farting with Jabba sniffing it, I just couldn’t do it any more.

thank the maker for The Clone Wars microseries, CW after it, and ROTS for bringing me back to SW, because it was a lonely dark time for me.

so yeah, ep 8?  No, not even close to the soul killing disappointment of 2002.

This us very interesting to me @GrimmyV a LOT of people place Episode II at the bottom of their charts.

To me Episode II was better than Episode I, mostly because of Count Dooku.  

I loved the character, and growing up I was very fond of Sir Christopher Lee’s beloved friendship with Peter Cushing, seeing him on the silver screen helped me pull back from the brink that was TPM.

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

I'm not boycotting it, I'm just not buyng it.  Blu Ray, DVD or digital download.  I never bought a copy of Episode VII either.

I did pick up the DVD for Rogue One on release, however.

Sidenote:  I do actually have a Blu Ray player, mind you.  @Ashley dropped one off at my house over the weekend.  I'm not sure why.  It's currently sat on the chair in my living room like some kind of unsolved puzzle, and I have no idea what to do with it as I don't own any Blu Ray discs.  I'd give it back but I get the feeling the response would be something like :

giphy.gif

I hated Last Jedi. I already gave them more than enough money for that cinematic travesty. I will not be buying this to own. The Last Jedi blu-ray or dvd or digital download is a product I don't want. This is not a "boycott." You boycott products or companies when they engage in some action you don't like. You stop purchasing their things until they change their ways and then purchase them again because you want the products. 

I guess you could call it a boycott since they're not giving me $500 dollars of free FFG Star Wars game stuff with purchase of their crap movie. 

11 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I'm not boycotting it, I'm just not buyng it.  Blu Ray, DVD or digital download.  I never bought a copy of Episode VII either.

I did pick up the DVD for Rogue One on release, however.

Sidenote:  I do actually have a Blu Ray player, mind you.  @Ashley dropped one off at my house over the weekend.  I'm not sure why.  It's currently sat on the chair in my living room like some kind of unsolved puzzle, and I have no idea what to do with it as I don't own any Blu Ray discs.  I'd give it back but I get the feeling the response would be something like :

giphy.gif

The blu-ray player should play any of your DVDs. Most units will play both. You should be able to simply swap them out. You'll likely want to use an HDMI cable (to get all the 1080p goodness of the blu-ray if you have a hi-def TV) instead of RCA style phono connectors or component video cables. 

As to the why.

If the person who gifted this to you spends time at your place and has things on blu-ray that they'd like to watch with you...

If it is a "smart" player that can connect to the internet and access streaming services like Netflix and Hulu... 

15 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

This us very interesting to me @GrimmyV a LOT of people place Episode II at the bottom of their charts.

To me Episode II was better than Episode I, mostly because of Count Dooku.  

I loved the character, and growing up I was very fond of Sir Christopher Lee’s beloved friendship with Peter Cushing, seeing him on the silver screen helped me pull back from the brink that was TPM.

A movie can totally bomb but there can always be redeemable traits within. Your right that Sir Christopher Lee was one of the stronger bits, if not the best thing, within that terrible movie. That said, other people can find enjoyment with watching that film so far be it for me to rob them of that satisfaction.

I'll get TLJ on blueray eventually. It's not without flaws, but it's re-watchable

I have zero interest in buying it.  Debated long and hard if I even wanted to watch it via bootleg download.  Do I hope that the sales are bad enough that Disney rethinks their direction and handling of Star Wars?  Yes.  Is that a boycott?  Probably.

As for Episode II, it gets a bad name, but it really isn't that bad.  I enjoyed it more than Episode I, (the pod race killed the movie's pacing for me) and loved the introduction of the Clones, and the Battle of Geonosis.  Anakin and Padme's romance was poorly written, but it was supposed to be awkward, so I don't mind it.

Edited by Alpha17

23 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

Was this movie the worst thing to ever happen to SW?

The combination of Rouge One, Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi is the worst thing to ever happen to SW.  Basically, Cathleen Kennedy is the worst for SW.  The prequels are BAD movies.  However, the prequels do not DESTROY the SW universe at all.  George at least respected his prior work to ensure his story doesn't wreck star wars.

However, Kathleen Kennedy doesn't care about the Star Wars Universe.  You can see how each of the Disney Movies destroys cannon from the original movies.

For instance, Vader actually SEEING the death star plans in R1 being handed off to the Rebels.  But somehow in Ep 4, he forgets that he saw it????

Or Han Solo going back to being a space bum who is so bad off, he 'lost' his ship somehow.  Like he literally forgot where it was.

Or Luke Skywalker becoming a deranged old fool who doesn't care about his family or friends and enjoys drinking milk from the *** of a space cow.  By far, the worst scene in the history of Star Wars is forcing Mark Hamill to drink milk from the *** and have it run down his beard.  That is clearly Cathleen ******** on SW fans.

23 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

thank the maker for The Clone Wars microseries, CW after it, and ROTS for bringing me back to SW, because it was a lonely dark time for me.

Yea, the Clone Wars microseries was the best thing that came out of the prequals for me.  I thought, this is how jedi are supposed to be.  I didn't watch Clone Wars the computer animated series b/c honestly, the graphics were off putting for me.  I rank Revenge of The Sith right up there with Ep 1 and 2, its not for me.

36 minutes ago, Rexler Brath said:

The combination of Rouge One, Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi is the worst thing to ever happen to SW.  Basically, Cathleen Kennedy is the worst for SW.  The prequels are BAD movies.  However, the prequels do not DESTROY the SW universe at all.  George at least respected his prior work to ensure his story doesn't wreck star wars.

Yeah, please see below for comments.

However, Kathleen Kennedy doesn't care about the Star Wars Universe.  You can see how each of the Disney Movies destroys cannon from the original movies.

For instance, Vader actually SEEING the death star plans in R1 being handed off to the Rebels.  But somehow in Ep 4, he forgets that he saw it????

He knew plans were transmitted to the profundity with the tantive IV docked, chased a disc copy through some corridors and then picked right up with choking the captain to get him to give up the plans.  Vader was informed the plans from the disc were not in the ship’s computer and he figured out Leia somehow smuggled the plans off the ship in a lifeboat.  It does flow, we see the physical disc loaded into R2, the same disc we see in R1.  Vader even tells his men to search the ship, tear it apart, to find the presumedly physical copy of the plans.  The pretense of being on a mercy mission and ending up in a fire fight also fits with Vader’s incredulity towards Leia.    The only real awkward line is the one about transmissions bring intercepted by the Tantive, when it was in fact another ship with which the corvette was docked that did the intercepting, and that’s not even close to the Leia remembering Padme thing.

Or Han Solo going back to being a space bum who is so bad off, he 'lost' his ship somehow.  Like he literally forgot where it was.

Actually the Falcon was stolen.  And stolen again, and finally again by Plutt.  And if my teenage son had killed his classmates, changed his name and joined an evil cult, I might have turned into a space bum after my marriage fell apart too.  It’s stuff like this that actually feels very real, grounding these characters with human flaws.  Almost like it’s good writing or something.

Or Luke Skywalker becoming a deranged old fool who doesn't care about his family or friends and enjoys drinking milk from the *** of a space cow.  By far, the worst scene in the history of Star Wars is forcing Mark Hamill to drink milk from the *** and have it run down his beard.  That is clearly Cathleen ******** on SW fans.

I thought it was hilarious.  I was also intrigued to find out how Luke had become this way, what happened in those 3 decades to make him a slightly more sane version of crazy Yoda from ESB.  

In fact, how do you think Yoda fighting with R2 over a flashlight and being a crazy hermit would have gone over had the PT had existed 2 decades before ESB.

Yea, the Clone Wars microseries was the best thing that came out of the prequals for me.  I thought, this is how jedi are supposed to be.  I didn't watch Clone Wars the computer animated series b/c honestly, the graphics were off putting for me.  I rank Revenge of The Sith right up there with Ep 1 and 2, its not for me.

Ep 3 wasn’t that good but it was better than it deserved to be.  It got me back in the theatre at least.

I say George did respect his earlier work nearly as much as you say, especially given how he continued to butcher the OT with every new video release since the special editions.  

4 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

He knew plans were transmitted to the profundity with the tantive IV docked, chased a disc copy through some corridors and then picked right up with choking the captain to get him to give up the plans.  Vader was informed the plans from the disc were not in the ship’s computer and he figured out Leia somehow smuggled the plans off the ship in a lifeboat.  It does flow, we see the physical disc loaded into R2, the same disc we see in R1.  Vader even tells his men to search the ship, tear it apart, to find the presumedly physical copy of the plans.  The pretense of being on a mercy mission and ending up in a fire fight also fits with Vader’s incredulity towards Leia.    The only real awkward line is the one about transmissions bring intercepted by the Tantive, when it was in fact another ship with which the corvette was docked that did the intercepting, and that’s not even close to the Leia remembering Padme thing.

You may need to rewatch episode 4.  Vader says to Lei:

Don’t play games with me, Your Highness. You weren’t on any mercy mission this time. You passed directly through a restricted system. Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you.

Vader needs to forget all that happened in his battle to say that line.  Star Wars fans tend to overlook such problems and pass them off as 'awkward'.  Why?

13 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

Actually the Falcon was stolen.  And stolen again, and finally again by Plutt.  And if my teenage son had killed his classmates, changed his name and joined an evil cult, I might have turned into a space bum after my marriage fell apart too.  It’s stuff like this that actually feels very real, grounding these characters with human flaws.  Almost like it’s good writing or something.

Show not tell, is good story telling.  Han had a character ARC.  Do you know what a character ARC is?  Its something that characters go through in GOOD STORIES.  What Disney did to the old characters was destroy their character ARCS from the original trilogy, IE, make their arcs meaningless.  If you wanted to show Han and Luke washed up nobodies, than you need to have a GREAT story telling how that happened.  Because at the end of ROTJ, those characters went through major arcs to get where they were.  You simply cannot put in a few pieces of dialog that dismantles their arcs and call that 'good writing'.

1 hour ago, Rexler Brath said:

Don’t play games with me, Your Highness. You weren’t on any mercy mission this time. You passed directly through a restricted system. Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you.

Yeah, that’s not the dialogue on screen.

sounds  like this was from the script or novelization.

lemme fix this for ya:

Don’t play games with me, Your Highness. You weren’t on any mercy mission this time.  Several transmissions were beamed to this ship.  I want to know what happened to those plans.

That might not be the exact dialogue but it’s closer than what was posted earlier.

Show not tell, is good story telling.  Han had a character ARC.  Do you know what a character ARC is?  Its something that characters go through in GOOD STORIES.  What Disney did to the old characters was destroy their character ARCS from the original trilogy, IE, make their arcs meaningless.  If you wanted to show Han and Luke washed up nobodies, than you need to have a GREAT story telling how that happened.  Because at the end of ROTJ, those characters went through major arcs to get where they were.  You simply cannot put in a few pieces of dialog that dismantles their arcs and call that 'good writing'

Sorry they didn’t make episode VII 30 hrs long to cover the three decades between trilogies.  And also sorry that the happily ever after from RotJ wasn’t permanent, or that the characters stayed frozen in their state as the credits rolled.  Life does go on and people might just change a bit or go back to old habits over the course of a few decades.

The lines you posted or the lines I posted still doesn't make sense.  VADER SAW the plans being hand delivered, not BEAMED.  Again, fanboys gonna do what fanboys do best, ignore the giant plot holes.

I agree with you here, it would have been very easy for the Vader scene to take him to a transmission console where as he killed the last Rebel a button is pushed and a transmission (or several) from the profundity to the Tantive (just arriving at the end of the battle) could then proceed.  But really this is just the same as what we’ve been given by the last two decades of SW:  qui gon was kenobi’s master, not Yoda; Leia knowing Padme even after age died during childbirth; Darth Vader being born on Tatooine, not exactly the same thing but it’s still stupid.

You admitted you are sorry.  You need to apologise for the bad writing of Disney Star Wars.  That is all fanboys can do, is apologise and pretend its good writing when its in fact BAD Writing.

I’m not an English major, so I’m not qualified as to what is good or bad writing beyond what I like or don’t like.  So yeah.

Not to mention, you have Mark Hammil saying that Luke would never do the things that were written of his character.  But again, fanboys gonna apologise for Disney on that too.

Yeah, watch the whole interviews, that was taken out of context.

and yes I’m a Star Wars fanboy, a Disney fanboy, and so far I’ve approved of Disney Star Wars.  I’m also a devil’s advocate so maybe it’s appropriate I keep defending Dis-wars.  I just don’t get how the base has become even more broken over time, in tandem with the ultra-polarization of politics in USA and the world.