Sign in to follow this  
samusthe17

Emplacements Confirmed?

So the new terrain and objectives article snuck in two new keywords: scout and stationary. 

Scout allowing a free move during deployment is cool, but having a deployment card that removes the keyword Stationary implies there will be units with that keyword. 

So FFG plans on adding in emplacements!

E-webs anyone?

1 minute ago, Caimheul1313 said:

E-webs are portable, I think we see them set up and moved as part of Empire. That's not to say they won't have Stationary after setting up. Personally, I think Stationary might be more for things like the turrets from Hoth.

I agree

2 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

E-webs are portable, I think we see them set up and moved as part of Empire. That's not to say they won't have Stationary after setting up. Personally, I think Stationary might be more for things like the turrets from Hoth.

The card specifies troopers; would a turret really count as a trooper? Would mean they could interact with objectives, become your commander, be force choked, etc...

11 minutes ago, svelok said:

The card specifies troopers; would a turret really count as a trooper? Would mean they could interact with objectives, become your commander, be force choked, etc...

Depends on the turret. Ones that are open seats, yeah can be trooper. Again, E-webs might have option of being set up or not, being Stationary when set up and having an action to break down and loose stationary.  Edit: closed turrets probably marked as vehicles though, was just saying they would make for good units to have Stationary, not that I thought they could move.

A tappable card that is says the Eweb is Stationary and can shoot unless tapped as an action, then takes a refresh to make it gain Stationary and be able to shoot would be an easy method without adding a bunch of new rules interactions.

Edited by Caimheul1313

Just now, Caimheul1313 said:

Depends on the turret. Ones that are open seats, yeah can be trooper. Again, E-webs might have option of being set up or not, being Stationary when set up and having an action to break down and loose stationary. 

A tappable card that is says the Eweb is Stationary and can shoot unless tapped as an action, then takes a refresh to make it gain Stationary and be able to shoot would be an easy method without adding a bunch of new rules interactions.

Yeah, that would make sense. I meant turrets in the Hoth sense, which would make more sense (to me) as Stationary vehicles.

Just now, svelok said:

Yeah, that would make sense. I meant turrets in the Hoth sense, which would make more sense (to me) as Stationary vehicles.

To me as well. This could also just being a case of future proofing the deployment card.

1 minute ago, samus17 said:

If an E-web could just break down and move, what's the point of trooper units losing Stationary from the Advanced Positions card?

Maybe a scout gains longer range or something but can't move, so they're giving you one scout ability but removing the negative ability associated with being a scout since you lack some other positive.

40 minutes ago, samus17 said:

If an E-web could just break down and move, what's the point of trooper units losing Stationary from the Advanced Positions card?

They might start the game with Stationary and have to activate to loose it, meaning they couldn't take advantage of Scout otherwise.

2 hours ago, OccasionallyCorrect said:

I always hoped there would be destructible cover.  If a barricade absorbs 5 hits or something it's just gone, just as a way to force movement about the board.

I'm excited theres so much about the game we dont know yet.

I like this, and am reminded of the sniper discussion. A cool sniper ability would be to discount one or more troops in cover. In other words, if three troopers are behind a barricade giving them heavy cover, the sniper attack negates perhaps two of them and as a result they have no cover for that attack. So you'd have to have 5 troops behind cover to give the benefit of cover for a sniper attack (instead of 3).

EDIT: I just accidentally described the existing Sharpshooter keyword.

Edited by Big Easy

Perhaps there will be abilities that allow a unit to move after deployment but before the turn begins, (such as scout)! And stationary locks things down?

Also perhaps after deploying all units are stationary, until the turn begins and orders issued ect!

3 hours ago, OccasionallyCorrect said:

I always hoped there would be destructible cover.  If a barricade absorbs 5 hits or something it's just gone, just as a way to force movement about the board.

I'm excited theres so much about the game we dont know yet.

Keeping track of cover hit points sounds awful. 

Also, given how we have an upgrade that has you perform an action (Harpoon -> Pivot) on another unit, perhaps we will have upgrades/weapons which will temporarily make units Stationary (or even Conditions). 

Anybody remember Adhesive Grenades from the KOTOR games? 

46 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

Anybody remember Adhesive Grenades from the KOTOR games? 

Yeah, they were good to sell for credits, not quite as good all the mines but still decent credits once sold in bulk.

Also CryoBan, poison, sonic, and plasma would be other interesting includes from KOTOR.

16 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Depends on the turret. Ones that are open seats, yeah can be trooper. 

Perhaps a 1.4 FD P-Tower might be a "trooper unit". 

Hoth-1_9403311b.jpeg?region=0,0,960,539

It certainly seems very stationary. 

The modified deployment giving you an opportunity to get it into an advanced firing position. 

(though you'd rarely want artillery in a position where it could be sooner overrun) 

Edited by ABXY

I’m confused. I know the game isn’t released yet and all the meta info I am getting is from those play TTS. But it seems the vehicles are behind left to the side in exchange for troopers since the game is objective based, and troops are the only ones that interact with objectives.

...so with that in mind... weapon emplacements designed to combat vehicles like those seen on Hoth are a bit...redundant? I can’t see the meta shifting toward vehicles any time soon in such an objective based game. 

4 hours ago, Kojib said:

troops are the only ones that interact with objectives.

Untrue. If the card says "unit leader" then vehicles can claim the objective as all units have unit leaders, even units of size 1. If the card says "trooper leader" than it is only infantry. Besides, vehicles will be useful for destroying your opponent's troopers, and drawing fire that would have been directed at your infantry.

Edited by Caimheul1313