Sign in to follow this  
tef3

Voice of Ra vs Magical Immunity

A quick question about Voice of Ra spell. Does the Magical Immunity of a monster  negates the bonus granted by VoR? I guess that it does, as MI negates all the bonuses to combat checks from spells

Tef said:

A quick question about Voice of Ra spell. Does the Magical Immunity of a monster  negates the bonus granted by VoR? I guess that it does, as MI negates all the bonuses to combat checks from spells

Voice of Ra applies to your FIGHT check, rather than the subsidiary COMBAT check. Therefore the Voice would not be negated by magical immunity. Magical immunity applies to the bonuses from skills and magical weapons that are added to the combat check.

>>Magical immunity applies to the bonuses from skills and magical weapons that are added to the combat check

Spells, not skills. Well it's never stated, that VoR grants a bonus to Fight, also. It grants bonus to all checks. So I think, that it's quite logical that Magical Immunity will negate that bonus from a Spell.

Nghtflame7 said:

Magical immunity applies to the bonuses from skills and magical weapons that are added to the combat check.

That's also not quite correct - it's never stated, that Magical Immunity applies to bonuses added to combat check. just to magical bonuses.

Magic Pink said:

But doesn't VoR affect the USER not the monster? It makes them stronger, faster, smarter; so the bonus would stay, yes?

When you make a combat check, and Ra is giving +1, the +1 counts as a combat bonus. So it is probably affected by magical immunity. The character may be stronger/faster, but it is a magical strength after all. Similarly, Summon the Beast Within makes the caster stronger, but the combat bonus is still affected by magical resistance/immunity.

Ah well, at least magical resistance wouldn't affect Ra, for sure (only one die).

I don't think magical immunity can affect Voice of Ra.  Looking at the text of the card and the way the rules phrase magical immunity I can't make a definite statement though.  Let's put in the FAQ.

Avi_dreader said:

I don't think magical immunity can affect Voice of Ra.  Looking at the text of the card and the way the rules phrase magical immunity I can't make a definite statement though.  Let's put in the FAQ.

*facepalm* DUH, the FAQ. Thank you, Avi.

Tibs said:

Avi_dreader said:

*facepalm* DUH, the FAQ. Thank you, Avi.

::laughter::

Tef said:

>>Magical immunity applies to the bonuses from skills and magical weapons that are added to the combat check

Spells, not skills. Well it's never stated, that VoR grants a bonus to Fight, also. It grants bonus to all checks. So I think, that it's quite logical that Magical Immunity will negate that bonus from a Spell.

Thank you. I meant spells, not skills. I still don't think magical immunity affects VoR, but I guess I will wait for the new improved FAQ.