Sir Reginold

Morality, this time with feeling.

I suspect that the underlying problem that the OP's GM is trying to solve is that the "Roll a d10 minus Conflict for Morality Change" doesn't take into account the number of moral choices a PC has to make in a given session.  If the PCs only engage in one or two morally relevant encounters (because the PCs spent the session buying gear / crafting / planning or something else that soaked up game time) then on average they get shunted toward the light side.  If the PCs do this often, then they get to the light side very quickly.  So the idea behind the GM's house rule is a reasonable one --- characters who don't actively choose the light side ain't going to make LS paragon status.  The implementation could use improvement.

Personally, I'd go with a "Roll a dX where X is proportional to the number of encounters where the PCs had to make a moral choice and then subtract conflict" approach to morality house rules instead.

8 hours ago, Jonas Shaaf said:

I suspect that the underlying problem that the OP's GM is trying to solve is that the "Roll a d10 minus Conflict for Morality Change" doesn't take into account the number of moral choices a PC has to make in a given session.  If the PCs only engage in one or two morally relevant encounters (because the PCs spent the session buying gear / crafting / planning or something else that soaked up game time) then on average they get shunted toward the light side.  If the PCs do this often, then they get to the light side very quickly.  So the idea behind the GM's house rule is a reasonable one --- characters who don't actively choose the light side ain't going to make LS paragon status.  The implementation could use improvement.

Personally, I'd go with a "Roll a dX where X is proportional to the number of encounters where the PCs had to make a moral choice and then subtract conflict" approach to morality house rules instead.

Pretty much every mechanic timed by session might need adjustment for a given group. Some have 2-hour sessions, some have 5-6 hour sessions, some even longer. If you play by post you probably don’t have ‘sessions’ at all. It’s a completely impractical tracker.

On 3/8/2018 at 11:54 AM, Sir Reginold said:

I find this whole thing completely unfun, and it has made be seriously consider just dropping the game,

The simple solution? Just bail on the morality mechanic.

My dislike of the morality system is well documented. Maelora and I abandoned the mechanic without any ill effect on our games. Oh sure me and my players still have to flip points and take the strain hit to use opposite pips, but the actual Paragon/Fall mechanic? Gone.

Now that's not to say there shouldn't be some kind of "I am a Jedi, like my father before me" mechanic in play - but you handle it narratively. You work out with the player the trajectory  they want to follow and work from there. Don't leave it up to a roll of the dice.

Edited by Desslok