Sign in to follow this  
dotswarlock

Regional: which of these 2 lists to train with?

The regional is coming in 2 weeks and I have 2 lists in mind which might give problems to a lot of archtypes out there (without being a popular archtype itself).  The problem is that I only have 2 weeks left to fine tune a strategy, so picking one of those lists might be advisable:

It's a brute:

4 x Cartel brutes with long range scanners

Sunny bounder with light scyk

One bullseye is easy to dodge, 4 is a problem.  4 ships with a target lock and focus on the initial engament and Sunny which sometimes triggers for 3 or 4 hits can hit like a truck.  After borrowing the 2 missing Kimogilas and trying it out, people in my meta qualified it as absolutely disgusting or "the return of BBBBZ, but on stims".  Multiple source of dice modifications combined with the bullseye can limit the randomness factor, but flying mistakes could get me and manoeuvering can be hard.

Scums can regen as well

- Sunny, heavy title, pulse ray shield, linked battery

- Inaldra, heavy title, purlse ray shield, mangler, mindlink

- Jostero, title, purlse ray shield, mindlink, (tracer, guidance chip and munition failsafe because they are free, so why not)

- Lok revenant: Draw their fire, bomblet generator, title, Genius, trajectory simulator and long range scanners.

The bomblet generator combined with Josteroy's ability discourages alpha strikes, which this squad can be vulnerable to.  3 of those ships can regenerate shields (with 2 having above average evade dice) and the Lok revenant can be a hardy little ship and draw some damage of the others.  It takes a little more thinking to set the combos straight, but at the same time, it can really confuse an opponent as to what to do against it.  There is a randomness factor, however, as the bomblets can simply not work on some occasions, but this squad should be easier to manoeuver in most cases.

Thoughts?

Don't have experience with the kimo, and flew against it only once, so I can only coach. You don't have to answer me, only yourself. Feel free to share if you like. 

It reads like your first list can be really tough and is limited only by your flying skill. So I ask the following questions 

* is the second most really more forgiving to fly? If so why, can this be mitigated in your first list somehow? 

* which list you feel more confident to fly?

Apart from that, about the regeneration, I think the Inaldra build is fine since she can pay a shield to get a benefit. Now she can get it back easily. It's a steal on jostero, so why not. 

* but do the others spats from Inaldra really need regeneration?

* will this limit your maneuverability, or do you see the larger benefit to get the 1 straight when needed? 

* do you see a benefit of shifting points a little bit, for example by omitting prs to get an upgrade on another ship?  

Edited by flooze

For your first list, I think it will be heavily matchup dependent.  The fact that both this version and the original BBBBZ version are pretty non-existent competitively lately means your success might be up in the air.  Obviously this version is a bit better because of LRS and bullseye, although having a worse shield to hull ratio on the kimos compared to bwings could hurt more.  If anything the surprise factor might win you an extra game or two though.

As for the second list, I'm not a big fan of PRS in my limited trials with it.  I don't see a lot of people running it either, but some swear by it.  I just feel like whenever I need to use it, the 1 forward is the LAST move I'd want to make, so I either have to get my shield and do a bad move, or do a good move but no shield.  Also I've been running a 4 ship janky scum list myself lately, I'm 19-6 with it so far, mostly in vassal games, and no games played at any competitive event.  I look at mine compared to yours, and while yours has some nice tricks, I don't think it could hang with mine.  If you want I can tell you what mine is.

So if I had to pick between the two I'd go with the first one.

Probably first one since its a ton of hull and can cause serious problems to people who dont know how to handle it. Also it has a decent chance vs palp aces and ghost/fenn. Four bullseye arcs isnt easy for inquisitor to dodge, and ghost/fenn hates that many ships.

I would choose the 1st list - it is simple and largely symmetrical, which I like.

As for the second list - I also only infrequently like PRS, because the 1 forward can really mess up a ship like an M3. I also don't trust Inaldra.

Looking at your second list, I don't think Genius & bomblet generator interact the way you want them to. Unless you want to discard the bomblet generator, of course! 

Other than that, both lists look fun and original - and that's what I'd like to face in a tournament.

12 minutes ago, JohnBoo said:

Looking at your second list, I don't think Genius & bomblet generator interact the way you want them to. Unless you want to discard the bomblet generator, of course! 

Other than that, both lists look fun and original - and that's what I'd like to face in a tournament.

It's a zero point upgrade and in a dire situation, sometimes, dicarding the bomblet might be the way to go.  I never had to, but if the simple notion makes an opponent do a different move then that works too ;)

I was gunna say go with the 'Gilas too. I like the ship, and think it needs more love.  But as a player that tries to stay a bit off the meta,  That is totally still a competative list.  I think it could nuke Ghost/Fen if you ensure atleast three arcs per turn; and there is no way that Fen can take that kind of punishment given his statline--not longer than two turns unless your roles are hitting like a stormtrooper.  The only meta list that I think really could work it would probably be three Alpha's and Quickdraw, in part because of numbers, but also the harpoons are monsters against such low agility ships.  Either way, I had faith in you.  

And a play-by-play would be way cool!