beefcake4000

How fast does stuff die?

For those whove had some experience (or even just better at maths than me) the question is if a unit of stormies was shooting at a unit of rebel troopers, lets say just 5 basic troops in each unit, how many casualties would we expect? Is it one volley and unit becomes useless or is it a plink away one at a time scenario? 

Does the extra trooper make a difference? Is there a big value to units of 4 or 5 or 6? Obviously, lots of cheap units gives you activations which is something but are those units going to melt when someone looks in their general direction? 

Cover and dodge is your friend. The trooper math says an average 2.5 full strentgh units of incoming fire  will kill a unit from the opposing side if the target is in the open and without a dodge token. Ofc a z6 rebel trooper can  solo them with the right rolls in the same senario(food for thought!).

Tactics ,using both the battlefield cover and armor effectively and unexpectedly is going to play a huge part in being a top player.

Edit: oh, and i still say plan for teh  triple rotary atrt coz those things are nasty!!!

Edited by Ralgon

16 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

Cover and dodge is your friend. The trooper math says an average 2.5 full strentgh units of incoming fire  will kill a unit from the opposing side if the target is in the open and without a dodge token. Ofc a z6 rebel trooper can  solo them with the right rolls in the same senario(food for thought!).

Tactics ,using both the battlefield cover and armor effectively and unexpectedly is going to play a huge part in being a top player.

Edit: oh, and i still say plan for teh  triple rotary atrt coz those things are nasty!!!

You think triple at-rt rotary is bad? Have you heard of teiple at-rt naked?

1 hour ago, Ralgon said:

Ofc a z6 rebel trooper can  solo them with the right rolls in the same senario(food for thought!).

That’s unlikely. Best case scenario is a maxed out, healthy unit firing at other Rebel troopers, and even then you have to do 2 points of damage more than average (assuming average defense rolls). 

Im not sure I get the love for the Z6 trooper. Sure, you’re throwing a lot of dice. But you’re slightly more likely to blank out than roll 3+ hits. I suppose you can fish for crits or split your fire to hand out suppression tokens. 

1 hour ago, WAC47 said:

That’s unlikely. Best case scenario is a maxed out, healthy unit firing at other Rebel troopers, and even then you have to do 2 points of damage more than average (assuming average defense rolls). 

Im not sure I get the love for the Z6 trooper. Sure, you’re throwing a lot of dice. But you’re slightly more likely to blank out than roll 3+ hits. I suppose you can fish for crits or split your fire to hand out suppression tokens. 

When he pays off, he's spectacular..... and apparently weight of dice is blowing better dice away on tts.

Q: How fast does stuff die?

A: As fast as you kill it. (Unless of course it is James T. Kirk, then expect at least a few minutes of overacting.)

But in all honesty if you are playing as rebels I wouldn't worry because these are Original Trilogy Stormtroopers after all.

You know that always got to me. Obi Wan Kenobi says at the beginning of A New Hope that "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise." and for the next 6 hours of storytelling they couldn't hit Luke, Han, Chewbacca, Lando, or R2-D2. They did "graze" Leia and they blasted C-3PO in extremely close quarters. Can you imagine the party they must have thrown the guy who "grazed" Leia had the Empire actually won?

Edited by C3POFETT

36 minutes ago, C3POFETT said:

A: As fast as you kill it. (Unless of course it is James T. Kirk, then expect at least a few minutes of overacting.)

But in all honesty if you are playing as rebels I wouldn't worry because these are Original Trilogy Stormtroopers after all.

You know that always got to me. Obi Wan Kenobi says at the beginning of A New Hope that "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise." and for the next 6 hours of storytelling they couldn't hit Luke, Han, Chewbacca, Lando, or R2-D2. They did "graze" Leia and they blasted C-3PO in extremely close quarters. Can you imagine the party they must have thrown the guy who "grazed" Leia had the Empire actually won?

The empire did win. The battle of endor where the rebels won is just propaganda 

2 hours ago, Jabby said:

The empire did win. The battle of endor where the rebels won is just propaganda 

It's not propaganda. It actually happened. I saw the movie footage, it's real and not fan made.

Sadly, Rebels know how to rebel not govern, hence a whole new trilogy.

1 hour ago, Undeadguy said:

What's so great about a naked AT-RT? 2 whites at 1-3 and 3 reds at melee?

Cheap and have armor? Yeah, I am not sure about them naked but for them get get all dressed up for the party does nearly double their cost. Playing the game will tell us if they are worth all those points or if naked they can actually take down troops without getting nuked by an AT-ST.

5 minutes ago, Mep said:

Cheap and have armor? Yeah, I am not sure about them naked but for them get get all dressed up for the party does nearly double their cost. Playing the game will tell us if they are worth all those points or if naked they can actually take down troops without getting nuked by an AT-ST.

I've made a few lists with 5 corps and 3 AT-RT, all with upgrades. I don't think you're taking a naked AT-RT to save on points. 

14 minutes ago, Mep said:

Surge to crit is pretty nice as well.

5 hours ago, WAC47 said:

yeah, youve gota better chance of getting no hits and you're better off rerolling the standard black die than the white dice. Even with Targeting scopes, an AIM token is only going to get you 3 rerolls. You should need way more than that due to the number of blanks you'll roll statistically.  Plus, ST have red defense dice , so 50% of those should get blocked.

11 hours ago, beefcake4000 said:

For those whove had some experience (or even just better at maths than me) the question is if a unit of stormies was shooting at a unit of rebel troopers, lets say just 5 basic troops in each unit, how many casualties would we expect? Is it one volley and unit becomes useless or is it a plink away one at a time scenario? 

Does the extra trooper make a difference? Is there a big value to units of 4 or 5 or 6? Obviously, lots of cheap units gives you activations which is something but are those units going to melt when someone looks in their general direction? 

On average, 4 Stormtroopers (using their E-11s) kill 1 Rebel Trooper. Add an extra Stormtrooper and a DLT-19 Trooper and you kill an average of 2.4 Rebel Troopers.

On average, 4 Rebel Troopers kill 1 Stormtrooper. Add 1 extra Rebel Trooper and the Z-6 Trooper, and on average you're killing 2 Stormtroopers.

This is ignoring cover, aim tokens, and dodge tokens, and these are averages, so results will of course vary. Sometimes the attacker will get lucky and get a ton of hits with few blocks. Sometimes the attacker will be unlucky, and roll all blanks or all their hits will be matched by blocks. 

Also, you have to consider context: maybe you're only killing 1 trooper per activation, but if you use 4 or more units to focus on 1 enemy unit, you could defeat it in a single round. So even though each attack is plinking away, that defending unit went from full health to completely dead in just a single round.

8 hours ago, C3POFETT said:

Hero units equipped with plot armor vs mook units.....

But lets put that aside.

Stormtroopers on DS1 were ordered to let the rebels escape, but make it look good so they would take the tracking beacon to the rebel base.

Stormtroopers were pretty darn precise on Hoth.

They also did fine on Endor in the beginning.  But hey, it's not like Earth history doesn't have examples of a technologically advanced numerically superior force getting taken out by a native force using primitive tactics.....

20 hours ago, beefcake4000 said:

The white dice has a crit, hit and surge symbol. The black adds 2 more hit symbols to the white dice and the red dice has 2 more hits again.

Without a surge you end up with a 2/8, 4/8 and 6/8 chance to roll a hit, so you expect 0.25, .050 and 0.75 hits per dice. Then if you surge to a hit or crit, the white dice in effect has 1C/2H, the Black 1C/4H and Red 1C/6H which gives you an expected number of wounds per dice of 0.325, 0.625 and 0.875. With re-rolls you can bump those numbers up a bit and with cover, armour and such they'll go down. The main problem here is that you don't reroll all your misses just 2 for the aim and +1 for the precise so if you get 5 dice and hit with 3 you'll reroll just 2 and get another hit.

Then if you opponent has cover and a dodge 2 hits will be removed.

Now, White dice have a single Save and Surge, Red dice have 2 more saves, so you have a basic 1/6 or 3/6 for a save, and that  goes up to a 2/6 and a 4/6 if you have a surge ability. So if your stormies take 3 hits they will probably save 2 and take one wound.

In general though, saying these are our expectations only gives you a rough idea of what may happen. There is always a chance that from 4 dice you see 4 critical symbols be rolled or 4 blanks and re-rolled with another 3 blanks.

2 hours ago, DarkJello said:

Primitive weapons.  But superb Rebel strat, plus sneaky Ewok tactics plus Imperial hubris resulted in defeat for the glorious Empire.  

#ScumForLife  #RebelForNow

Thank you citizen for your input.  A COMPNOR agent has been dispatched to your location.

latest?cb=20170306025241

Same with the white and red:

1/6 White

2/6 White Surged

3/6 Red

4/6 Red Surged

What blows my mind is Luke and AT-RT surge attack dice to crits!!

Every time I turn something over there is this little gem of an idea that highlight how simple the rules are but just how clever the game design has been.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:47 AM, Mep said:

It's not propaganda. It actually happened. I saw the movie footage, it's real and not fan made.

Sadly, Rebels know how to rebel not govern, hence a whole new trilogy.

Moff Meme.jpg