ElSuave

First Flames - Disciples of the Void Preview

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/6/first-flames/

Edit: I can't remember if Togashi Tadakatsu was revealed earlier or not. So I just threw him up here.
Edit2: We've seen Pacifist Philosopher in small article before. When you decide to pass on your conflict you gain 1 fate.
Edit3: Inquisitive Ishika was revealed by Art of Warcast.

6LhqQQV.pngYvjscV2.pngRji2KCH.png  FfiDbwT.pngc8FbD7T.jpgddl7EKH.png9tgMppR.jpgiDV76qp.png

Edited by ElSuave

44 minutes ago, ElSuave said:

Secluded Shrine is going to be the real mvp

If I'm reading it and understanding the rules right, it:

1. Counts for a ring during the glory count
2. Stops your opponent from declaring conflicts of that element
3. Effortlessly activates Solemn Scholar, Prodigy of the Waves, Henshin Disciple, Katana of Fire, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

1 minute ago, theninthguardian said:

3. Effortlessly activates Solemn Scholar, Prodigy of the Waves, Henshin Disciple, Katana of Fire, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

I don't think number 2 is correct as the ring is still available in the ring pool to be claimed.

19 minutes ago, theninthguardian said:

Wow that does make it even easier for Phoenix to gain favor.  I am not sure about stopping your opponent from declaring conflicts though since the physical ring is still in the unclaimed pool.  This might need some clarification.  

My updated list as to where we sit on the spoilers for this set

# NAME CARD TYPE CLAN INFLUENCE
1 Kyūden Isawa  Stronghold Phoenix -
3 Support of the Phoenix Role Neutral +8
6 Shiba Tetsu Character - Dynasty Phoenix -
8 Fire Elemental Guard Character - Dynasty Phoenix -
11 Fushichō Character - Dynasty Phoenix -
12 Secluded Shrine Holding Phoenix -
15 Togashi Tadakatsu Character - Dynasty Dragon -
18 Kaito Kosori Character - Conflict Phoenix 2
19 Favor of the Kame Attachment Phoenix 1
20 Katana of Fire Attachment Phoenix 2
23 Clarity of Purpose Event Phoenix 3
25 Yogo Kikuyo   Character - Conflict Scorpion 2
  NUMERING UNKOWN      
  Fire Tensai initiate      
  Inquisitive Ishika      
  Isawa Tadaka      
  Pacifist Philosopher      

27 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

I don't think number 2 is correct as the ring is still available in the ring pool to be claimed.

I'm not sure either. What exactly is the difference between "you are considered to have that ring in your claimed ring pool" (Shrine wording) and just "claim that ring".

6 minutes ago, theninthguardian said:

I'm not sure either. What exactly is the difference between "you are considered to have that ring in your claimed ring pool" (Shrine wording) and just "claim that ring".

From the RRG pg 22for Declaring conflicts

In order to declare a conflict, the attacking player must:
◊ Declare the type and element of the conflict to be initiated. This is indicated by selecting a ring from the unclaimed ring pool (this ring is known as the contested ring, and defines the element of the conflict), and placing it on an opponent’s eligible unbroken province (this indicates which province is being attacked) with either the military side or the political side faceup (the faceup side of the contested ring defines the type of the conflict).
If a player selects an unclaimed ring with fate on it to become the contested ring, that fate is moved from the ring to the attacking player’s fate pool.

As Secluded Shrine only states that the ring is considered to be in your ring pool but does not state it  physically moves it from the available pool it would be a legal target for a player to select for a later conflict.  

1 hour ago, L5RBr said:

Dragon Monk: make your foe choose fire, use mantra of fire, get the fate and deny the void ring... this could be interesting.. 

What you are describing can happen, sure. 

IMO, this Dragon character is once again suboptimal compared to the other characters released for the other Clans...... It’s just that your opponent defending gets to use it too, which is a MAJOR PAIN and will only net you a positive ‘return’ if and only if you get to more readily manipulate/use the character during your own DEFENSIVE turn. (which will be difficult as it’s a Dynasty character and not a low-costing one at that, thus I can’t drop him in when I’m defending or at the start of a Conflict which I need to win in order to achieve victory vs my opponent)

I just don’t understand why FFG keeps Dragon hamstrung with these less than stellar/able characters. (Yay! I get to bow him and use High Kick!) ?

I’m not impressed in the least with this new character. It’s a step sideways, not forward or backward. ?

Edited by LordBlunt

8 minutes ago, LordBlunt said:

IMO, this Dragon character is once again suboptimal compared to the other characters released for the other Clans...... It’s just that your opponent defending gets to use it too, which is a MAJOR PAIN and will only net you a positive ‘return’ if and only if you get to more readily manipulate/use the character during your own DEFENSIVE turn. (which will be difficult as it’s a Dynasty character and not a low-costing one at that, thus I can’t drop him in when I’m defending or at the start of a Conflict that I need to win in order to achieve victory vs my opponent)

I just don’t understand why FFG keeps Dragon hamstrung with these less than stellar/able characters. (Yay! I get yo bow him and use High Kick!) ?

I’m not impressed in the least with this new character. It’s a step sideways, not forward or backward. ?

Because the design team thought that Dragon Goodstuff is too strong and so they release cards that are only really strong in other decks.

4 minutes ago, LordBlunt said:

IMO, this Dragon character is once again suboptimal compared to the other characters released for the other Clans...... It’s just that your opponent defending gets to use it too, which is a MAJOR PAIN and will only net you a positive ‘return’ if and only if you get to more readily manipulate/use the character during your own DEFENSIVE turn. (which will be difficult as it’s a Dynasty character and not a low-costing one at that, thus I can’t drop him in when I’m defending or at the start of a Conflict that I need to win in order to achieve victory vs my opponent)

I just don’t understand why FFG keeps Dragon hamstrung with these less than stellar/able characters. (Yay! I get yo bow him and use High Kick!) ?

Give this card a little more credit, it have decent skills, is monk (works with the unbow monk too), and get you this combo with mantras.

And also is 0 glory that also helps against dishonor, a dragon weakness.

Anyway to a voltron deck deny void and water ring each turn is a very good ability by itself.

22 minutes ago, LordBlunt said:

IMO, this Dragon character is once again suboptimal compared to the other characters released for the other Clans...... It’s just that your opponent defending gets to use it too, which is a MAJOR PAIN and will only net you a positive ‘return’ if and only if you get to more readily manipulate/use the character during your own DEFENSIVE turn. (which will be difficult as it’s a Dynasty character and not a low-costing one at that, thus I can’t drop him in when I’m defending or at the start of a Conflict which I need to win in order to achieve victory vs my opponent)

I just don’t understand why FFG keeps Dragon hamstrung with these less than stellar/able characters. (Yay! I get to bow him and use High Kick!) ?

Cloud his mind when you are on the attack.......then let go for defense?  Lol

Or works good if you have initiative since you can attack, pick ring, charge him in, then get to pick the the ring on defense

I reckon @Ishi Tonu is right; it's Charge! fodder.

One of the things I'd be a bit concerned about is having too many cost 4-5 characters in my deck though, as having a few turn up in the Provinces in the early times is a total nightmare. I'm still struggling with ratios for this game. It was so easy in Game of Thrones v1 :/

So Haughty+Favor of the Kami+Stronghold basically shuts down every single character in the game except for Serene Warrior and Shiba Tsukune... throw in a Clarity of purpose there and you have two impossible to lose conflicts in a round, unless in a mirror match. 

Edited by Tabris2k

41 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

So Haughty+Favor of the Kami+Stronghold basically shuts down every single character in the game except for Serene Warrior and Shiba Tsukune... throw in a Clarity of purpose there and you have two impossible to lose conflicts in a round, unless in a mirror match. 

It is worth mentioning that dishonoring Haughty shuts this down.