Sign in to follow this  
jocke01

Starting with imp assault (skirmish).

Hi

I played 2 games of skirmish with a friend and I'm hooked.

I have played the campaign, but while it was ok it has alot of the IMO flaws from Descent 2nd edition in it for me too buy it. 

Skirmish on the other hand was great, streamlined rules, and alternating activations. It was great. Luke cuttting down jabba's thugs. C-3po running around being at best a distraction.

I have decided to start. Obvoius I Will buy the core box, but what then?

I Will probably be focused on rebels and scum. Are there any must buy packs and how about the bigger expansions? Are they neccesary or should i only go with the small figure packs?

Any other good tips for starting out?

1 hour ago, Collins said:

jabbas realm

heart of the empire

rangers

han

done

Okey, so the big expansions have lots of stuff for skirmish? 

What about the other bigger boxes like hoth and bespin?

I think the feeling is JR and HoTE have the most powerful cards and viable units for skirmish.

Earlier you mentioned that campaign suffers problems like descent and that skirmish has alternating activations. Just want to point out that IA campaign played by the rules, has alternating activations as well. 

But skirmish is a lot of fun, building your armies and your card deck is a blast.

2 hours ago, jocke01 said:

Any other good tips for starting out?

Step into our office:

Buy List Guide for your own research and playstyle:
http://boardwars.eu/ally-and-villain-packs-for-star-wars-imperial-assault/

Recent Skirmish Starting Threads:
Imperial Buy List Thread:
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/270764-imperial-what-to-buy/

Rebel Buy List Thread:
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/270909-rebels-buying-guide/

Inexpensive Buy List Thread:
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/269965-lets-build-a-list-core-1-4-challenge/

13 hours ago, jocke01 said:

Hi

I played 2 games of skirmish with a friend and I'm hooked.

Yup, that’s about all it took for me also. You’re getting some good advice, so I’ll just say you should check out the pinned thread in the skirmish sub forum. Lots of interesting things that you may also find interesting. 

Listbuilding tools and vassal are great resources for showing what is available and that can help you prioritize what you want. 

Edited by Fightwookies

17 hours ago, GottaBadFeelingAboutThis said:

Thanks, these Links are very helpfull

On 06/03/2018 at 4:57 PM, jocke01 said:

Okey, so the big expansions have lots of stuff for skirmish? 

What about the other bigger boxes like hoth and bespin?

hoth and bespin have been surpassed in the skirmish game. still great campaign content but not so relevant for skirmish anymore I'm afraid.

Edited by Collins

8 hours ago, Collins said:

both and bedpan have been surpassed in the skirmish game. still great campaign content but not so relevant for skirmish anymore I'm afraid.

I see, but are there any cards that are neccesary that can only be found in those packs. Or can you just skip them with no problem?

41 minutes ago, jocke01 said:

I see, but are there any cards that are neccesary that can only be found in those packs. Or can you just skip them with no problem?

'Negation' from the Hoth set is probably the most popular card from those boxes.  I don't know that I'd call it "necessary" but it is played in most competitive lists.  It cancels the effects of a 0-point command card, and it most often used to counter 'Take Initiative'.

With all that said, you can definitely compete without it.  If you're planning on buying Hoth just for that one card and you're on any kind of budget, I wouldn't recommend paying for it.

I just started in October, a friend of mine who plays helped me out on what to start with: Core Set, Jabba's Realm and shortly after I started playing Heart of the Empire was released so I grabbed that.

Once you have those boxes out of the way, you can grab individual figure packs.  If you want to go to a tournament you need to start with Jabba, Rangers, and the Jawa so you have the current skirmish cards/maps.  They are good packs to have anyway.  Gotta get R2D2 and C3PO expansion so you can have the Rebel Care Package TM.  After that you probably want Han, Chewy, and IG-88, they are all really good right now.

Then I think you can just buy what interests you or once you have a good feel for the game, buying packs for specific command cards.