Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My daughter and I just picked up, new, Descent 2nd edition, the expansions Shadow of Nerekhall and Labyrinth of Ruin, and the Lieutenants for all of those. We weren't able to play, yet, as our base game was missing all the character sheets; Fantasy flight is mailing out those to us :-). We also downloaded the RtL app on our Kindle. We are quite excited to play, and both of us have been going through this forum to hold us over until we can play this coming weekend. The game looks fantastic, and we are very excited to start, as stated, and are even now considering painting the miniatures just based on what we see in the forums. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, zamboodu said:

My daughter and I just picked up, new, Descent 2nd edition, the expansions Shadow of Nerekhall and Labyrinth of Ruin, and the Lieutenants for all of those. We weren't able to play, yet, as our base game was missing all the character sheets; Fantasy flight is mailing out those to us :-). We also downloaded the RtL app on our Kindle. We are quite excited to play, and both of us have been going through this forum to hold us over until we can play this coming weekend. The game looks fantastic, and we are very excited to start, as stated, and are even now considering painting the miniatures just based on what we see in the forums. 

You may want to check out the Index of Useful Links post at the top of the forum, as it is a good resource for many different aspects of the game.

Within there is a link for Sadgit's superb CRRG document, which most of us find an invaluable tool to parsing out the various and complex situations that occur within the game.  Essentially, it is a comprehensive rules and faq guide all in one.

Have fun !

Edited by any2cards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, any2cards said:

You may want to check out the Index of Useful Links post at the top of the forum, as it is a good resource for many different aspects of the game.

Within there is a link for Sadgit's superb CRRG document, which most of us find an invaluable tool to parsing out the various and complex situations that occur within the game.  Essentially, it is a comprehensive rules and faq guide all in one.

Have fun !

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely check out the links within there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think about it, the less I have confidence in my ability to paint the miniatures.  Does anybody have any recommendations of where I might start looking for someone to paint them for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, zamboodu said:

The more I think about it, the less I have confidence in my ability to paint the miniatures.  Does anybody have any recommendations of where I might start looking for someone to paint them for me?

I also have absolutely no creative talent, and have never even attempted to try and paint mine.  I know that several individuals have accepted commissions to paint various minis from many different types of games (both on here and at BGG).

I should point out however, especially if the number of minis is large (such as having all expansions, etc.), that often it can take many months before you see your minis again.  If you want to actually play the game any time soon, you may have to do so first, before attempting to get them painted.  Kind of a catch 22 if you will.  Wanting to play with them fully decorated, but not wanting to have to spend the time to get them done.

You may want to just have a go yourself ... there are many threads that exist that give painting advice ... some have links in the Index of Useful Links.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, zamboodu said:

The more I think about it, the less I have confidence in my ability to paint the miniatures.  Does anybody have any recommendations of where I might start looking for someone to paint them for me?

A lot of people suggest Sorastro.

 

Personally, the best advice I can give you is:

If you're a novice, you don't need good paint.  You'll probably waste it anyway (no offense- I too am guilty of wasting lost of paint)

You can get a tube of paint at Wal-mart that's like twice as big as a Citadel tube, and like 1/8th the price.

 

Also, look up how to do "washes".  They can make your minis go from looking like flat amateur works to having a ton of depth and detail.  And they're super easy to do, like you can wash a figure in just a minute or two if you're fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Subtrendy2! I appreciate your advice a lot. I feel overwhelmed and want to make them look pretty. However, you bring up a good point, and I will check out the washing techniques as you mentioned!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, any2cards said:

I also have absolutely no creative talent, and have never even attempted to try and paint mine.  I know that several individuals have accepted commissions to paint various minis from many different types of games (both on here and at BGG).

I should point out however, especially if the number of minis is large (such as having all expansions, etc.), that often it can take many months before you see your minis again.  If you want to actually play the game any time soon, you may have to do so first, before attempting to get them painted.  Kind of a catch 22 if you will.  Wanting to play with them fully decorated, but not wanting to have to spend the time to get them done.

You may want to just have a go yourself ... there are many threads that exist that give painting advice ... some have links in the Index of Useful Links.

Any2card,

   You are right! I was considering how long it would take and that would be frustrating not to have to play the game for a while just waiting for a paint job. Subtrendy2 brought up a good point about the washing as well. I have been looking into painting vids on youtube to see if I can get a better grasp and hopefully feel more confident about it. I do have, still, the game Herosquest that I might just test the painting on. I do love the game but don't think the ruining of the miniatures on those would dimish my enjoyment of playing it as if I were to mess up Descent or MoM would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×