Bojanglez

What other settings books do you expect to see?

I admittedly haven't been keeping up with Genesys news but all I've seen so far is the announcement about the Terrinoth sourcebook and I'm curious what other sourcebooks people are hoping or expecting to see.

I'm also curious if they plan to put out any canned adventures - if so, what would you like to see?

There’s definitely an Android setting book being worked on.

I hope we get a few adventures for each of the settings they release. So at least a couple of Terrinoth adventures, hopefully with some extra new rules and character options.

I also hope we get some more generic books. I think the talk about Supers on all the places we discuss this game has been common enough to suggest FFG should make a book for that. I don’t care if it’s generic or if FFG somehow gets a Limited licence to use Marvel/DC stuff.

The nice thing about multiple settings is they can see what sells.

Terrinoth sales  x  N% == Terrinoth Adventure sales, where N is some internal number. So, based on Terrinoth sales, that may or may not be the end of the Terrinoth line, while still allowing for more Genesys products.

I'm hoping for a miracle and FFG gets to do Robotech stuff and does a Robotech Genesys setting book someday. 

I see them doing setting books of their properties, possibly including Midnight and Fireborn. Seeing them be brought back would be awesome.

Every book they put out will likely have options usable in other types of games. For instance, they say the Heroic Abilities that will be described in Terrinoth could serve as a base for a superhero power system, and so on. Looking at the way every Star Wars product is designed, introducing new rules and equipment every time, I see the same pattern repeated here. Not complaining, just noticing. On a business standpoint, it makes more sense to spread extra rules in many books as they sell multiple books as opposed to just one. I just hope people don't end up seeing it as a simple cash grab and move away from Genesys... the more players/buyers we have, the more likely we will see more and more products.

6 hours ago, Stacie_GmrGrl said:

I'm hoping for a miracle and FFG gets to do Robotech stuff and does a Robotech Genesys setting book someday. 

While that would be awesome, I doubt it. From what I've heard though, Harmony Gold itself is loosing the underlying license in a couple years, so it really would take a miracle. 

To bad too, I would love a flightpath system to play with all those minis I got. 

I also hope we get some more generic books. I think the talk about Supers on all the places we discuss this game has been common enough to suggest FFG should make a book for that. I don’t care if it’s generic or if FFG somehow gets a Limited licence to use Marvel/DC stuff.

If I remember correctly, Marvel's latest RPG is a Cortex system, and DC is using the Mutants & Masterminds/3rd Ed OGL system, so I don't think we would see any official Genesys licenses from either.  However, I am not sure of the Image is locked up into any RPG system yet.

On 3/7/2018 at 1:09 PM, Chyrondave said:

If I remember correctly, Marvel's latest RPG is a Cortex system, and DC is using the Mutants & Masterminds/3rd Ed OGL system, so I don't think we would see any official Genesys licenses from either.  However, I am not sure of the Image is locked up into any RPG system yet.

The Marvel license was pulled (per Cam, the designer) suddenly and without warning.  There hasn't been a Marvel system in print in a couple years now.

On 10/03/2018 at 4:04 AM, AK_Aramis said:

The Marvel license was pulled (per Cam, the designer) suddenly and without warning.  There hasn't been a Marvel system in print in a couple years now.

It would be awesome if FFG wrangled that licence, FFG would probably want some board games and an LCG as part of it too though.

2 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

It would be awesome if FFG wrangled that licence, FFG would probably want some board games and an LCG as part of it too though.

Well they have the star wars one and the Marvel one is also Disney

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:37 PM, Daeglan said:

Well they have the star wars one and the Marvel one is also Disney

I think the only thing that would stand in the way of a Marvel LCG is the Legendary license currently held by Upper Deck.  Given that the RPG license is apparently up in the air, that could be a thing.

Still, personally, I am too much of a fan of the old FASERIP system to completely accept a Genesys based Marvel RPG.

I’ve said before, many times now, something about how FFG is producing and marketing genesys leads me to believe that they are not going to put out ANY settings for it that they don’t own outright, at least not for many years yet. I don’t think we are going to see any genesys material based on any licensed properties. Everything will remain wholly their own creations. 

5 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

I’ve said before, many times now, something about how FFG is producing and marketing genesys leads me to believe that they are not going to put out ANY settings for it that they don’t own outright, at least not for many years yet. I don’t think we are going to see any genesys material based on any licensed properties. Everything will remain wholly their own creations. 

I don't think they're going to port everything to Genesys... especially not End of the World and L5R. Fireborn likely won't, either.

Why? the specific dice tricks used in those games is itself closely linked to the theme and/or prior iterations of the game.

Likewise, i expect variants of Genesys (but not so labeled) for some (but not all) new licensed properties. Sell more dice that way.

No, I definitely don’t think they will port any of their existing games. I’m just saying that I also think any licensed properties they want to make an rpg for in the future will also be separate. If they were to, somehow, get the license to do a marvel rpg, I think they would do an original engine for it. Genesys, I suspect, is going to remain exclusively FFG owned settings for at least the next 5 years. 

28 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

No, I definitely don’t think they will port any of their existing games. I’m just saying that I also think any licensed properties they want to make an rpg for in the future will also be separate. If they were to, somehow, get the license to do a marvel rpg, I think they would do an original engine for it. Genesys, I suspect, is going to remain exclusively FFG owned settings for at least the next 5 years. 

I'd expect a Marvel RPG to use a close variant of Genesys if they should pursue the license.

Doing sourcebooks for themes (i.e. super powers) as well as settings is my preference.

I would love to see a sourcebook for the horror theme, with expanded mechanics, talents, etc. They could also provide some horror content specifically groomed for certain settings - sci-fi alien encounters, modern day serial killer, lovecraft horror, gothic vampires/werewolves, etc.)