Big Easy

Day 1 painting plan

Just curious what your day one painting plan is. That is, the first day that you start to paint, not specifically March 22. 

Of course I will force myself not to rush, but I will probably prime all figures then start with a practice Luke (getting 2 cores). Then I guess see how far I get with an AT-RT.

How quickly do you work?

I paint super slow. Might take me a month to paint 2 cores and 1 of each pack. As my skills grow, I hope to speed up. 

My first thing to paint will be a Rebel squad, followed by an AT-RT. I plan on doing a Felucia theme, with rich blues and oranges as my base colors.

My rebels are for the missus to do with as she sees fit.

I'm studying stormtrooper methods of painting and what colors i'm short of to start my side....... i'll likey start with the speeder bikes to get my blending groove on before i start trying to highlight white.

I took the 22nd and 23rd off work, so I’ll be picking the game up in the AM, assemble all the stormtroopers and prime those. While those are drying, I’ll work on the speeder bikes, then prime them.

once the stormtroopers are dry, my goal is to finish them by Friday night, and hopefully the speeder bikes as well.

24 minutes ago, OldSchoolEmpire said:

Yea I'm going to try to have my core Empire done by the end of the weekend on release week. Rebels will take a little longer as I'm still chasing down what scheme I'm willing to settle on. 

Same! I may switch to rebels a few months down the road depending on what they release down the road, but for now, all empire!

I found a Terminator Genysis miniatures game starter set at a local game store on clearance. I've been slowly working on painting that as practice and playing around with paint schemes I'll use for rebels. The practice has been great as I'm realizing I'm need to figure out a better way to prime sans airbrush in a very humid environment. However with this new knowledge, I'll probably go with Rebels from the core first before moving on to core Imperials. I bought one of everything, but want to save the commanders and AT-ST for last. Hopefully, the slog of troopers and stormtroopers will help me level up my painting skills. If I get everything done by the end of April, I'll be happy, because then Fleet Troopers will theoretically be around the corner....

16 minutes ago, player2801864 said:

I'm need to figure out a better way to prime sans airbrush in a very humid environment.

Many ranges of paints include a paint on primer. Practice with it first, to see if you need to thin it and then how much works best.

19 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

How do you guys paint so fast? 

Well to be honest the Storm Troopers are going to be pretty straight forward with little color variation. I'll prime/zenithal grey/white. Come back Paint all the black parts, eyes, helmet, joints, hands, weapon. After that highlight the raised parts of the armor and weapons. I'll do the bases separately assembly line fashion, by the time one base is dry then its time to come back for washes and then highlights.  The rebels on the other hand will be the most time consuming as I'm leaning towards a mixed camouflage of various greens/browns, very much like the endor rebels and in general they just have more base colors to lay down and highlight. 

I like to at least give minis a quick rinse/scrub to get mold release agent off of them. Clean up mold lines then get assembled (some glued, some dry fit) for priming.  

If I can get that done Day 1, awesome, then it's prime/zenithal all-the-things.  

My first game probably won't be until at least a week after release.  (doesn't help that I somehow now have another unforeseen queue of Gaslands stuff...)

7 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

How do you guys paint so fast? 

Paint from the inside out, so face, shirt, jacket, helmet, gun, hands, shoes, pants and webbing. This way the paint from one step will cover mistakes from the previous and where you do make small mistakes you'll cover those up in the shading step.

Day one painting plan?

Take assembled miniatures in a box and hand box to my daughter.

It's great to be a dad of a talented artist. I think the fact they have Leia as a commander may even convince her to play.

Those of you able to crank these out make me so jealous

I am still a novice and SLOW.  Me getting 800 pts of Rebels done could take months.  

Realistically, I have an initial squad done opening weekend.  Then, hope to get 3-5 done every weekend after.  Assuming, other life “stuff” doesn’t get in the way.

And ... after months of deciding on camo/color patterns and having it decided ... having second thoughts.  So onto another test model.