Sign in to follow this  
Cry Ptic Life

Rebels Buying Guide

Hi, I’m saying this for a friend, but which expansions should be priority for the rebels?  He currently only has the core set(which he shares with me) and the Leia small box.  More specifically, how can he build a semi-meta list for the rebels?  Thanks!  

Well, the 3PO and R2 pack is great, so I’d start there. Then Jedi Luke is great and doesn’t need too many command cards (other than devotion, which I’m pretty sure comes with 3PO), and Luke will get even better after Nal Hutta (one of the tournament maps) rotates out. Hera and Chopper is another great single pack to get. And the Alliance Smuggler is a great cheap objective control figure to throw into any list.

Heart of the Empire has the Han and Chewie fixes, so I would definitely go for that eventually as those two can anchor a list well. You’d have to get their figure packs as well though. And the best card for them, On the Lam, comes in Jabba’s Realm, I think, so that’s starting to get expensive. 

I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend, but as far as figure packs, those listed at the top will go a long way to helping you get competitive for cheaper.

-ryanjamal 

Edit: lol, I have no idea why that middle paragraph is larger. Not intending to scream it at you ?

Edited by ryanjamal

Thanks so much!  Now I’ll tell him to buy Rebel troopers... Jk .  Lol when I was reading the middle paragraph I got really confused.  What about Alliance Rangers?  Heard those were ok.  What do you think about them?

5 minutes ago, Cry Ptic Life said:

What about Alliance Rangers?  Heard those were ok.  What do you think about them?

Oh they’re great, but you really need Jabba’s Realm to get good miles out of them. They need those Hunter cards to make them worth it.

Ultimately, skirmish really runs through the last two boxed expansions. You can get away without them and still have an all right list, but ultimately you’ll want to get at least one and both of you can swing it. This is toughest for Rebels because essentially JR was a boost to Mercs and HotE was a boost to Empire, with some Rebel help added in to both. 

-ryanjamal 

The core set comes with Gideon, so once you have him and 3p0, you're set on the "care package." The care package is in all the rebel lists I've seen competitively because they usually go first and focus some guys before the fight really gets going. 

Also, Ahsoka Tano is really good. Amazing for an 8-point card. She can force leap, allowing her to zip across the map. Her vigor ability is good too. At the start of your activation, you may gain a block token or two movement points. She rolls 3 dice, and she can reroll them or she can make the defender reroll, in case for those pesky dodges.

Also if you want to be the command card king, r2 and rebel high command gets you 4 cards every round if you're next to a terminal. (Unfortunately I don't remember what rebel high command comes with. Maybe core set.)

Ahsoka is pretty good, and you really need to play her carefully. If you're sure of getting initiative in round two, she can leap in someplace, swing hard, vigor-move to another nearby target, swing hard, and leap out. Shoot, she can even Pummel in a variety of circumstances. And her command card is a lightning bolt from Magic the Gathering. But she's definitely a finesse piece. At 12 hp and a possible block token, you can sometimes make one mistake with her, but rarely can you make two, especially against Vader/Palp!

Thanks!  An another friend of ours has Jabbas realm, should my friend(the one with the rebels) consider buying the hunter cards from the peep with JR?  Ahsoka = good.  Got it.  Is there a list you could build with Ashoka, C309+R2D2, HOTE, Chewbaca and Leia?  Btw thanks for your time!?

You can make a list with enough points for all of that. Personally I wouldn't go with a Chewie Leia list to be honest. Sure, Chewie can redraw Debts Repaid, but you have to be too careful with Leia. I'd rather take Han and Drokkatta (shoutouts to my boy ryanjamal) than Chewie and Leia. They would be more fun, I think.

Buying the hunter cards from a jabba’s realm is unlikely to happen, but go ahead and try ? in theory you’d still need Assasination from Jabba himself.

Rebels are in a good shape right now and no matter what you field it can perform, but it’s rather expensive to get top tier in regards to command cards. You either need a variety of hunter cards, smuggler cards or even heavy weapon cards that are found in different packs or even boxes. Figures are the easy part I believe.  

As others say, core set brings very little to rebels. Gideon is awesome, Jyn is good and Son of skywalker command card is awesome. To me, Jedi Luke and Alliance rangers are the most natural next buys. Alliance rangers pack command cards are pretty good and the deployment itself is very good. Jedi Luke is brutal as well. After that cmbining with Leia and Jyn that he already has, he has a pretty good start I would say. Next buy should be C3PO R2D2 to complete the care package and after that the choice in my book should pretty much depend on the playstyle he prefers. Ashoka, echo base troopers, obi-wan (probably not). However, from the start he probably needs to settle with Mak to run objectives, so Alliance smuggler may well be on the buy list as well. 

10 hours ago, GottaBadFeelingAboutThis said:

Ahsoka is pretty good, and you really need to play her carefully. If you're sure of getting initiative in round two, she can leap in someplace, swing hard, vigor-move to another nearby target, swing hard, and leap out. Shoot, she can even Pummel in a variety of circumstances. And her command card is a lightning bolt from Magic the Gathering. But she's definitely a finesse piece. At 12 hp and a possible block token, you can sometimes make one mistake with her, but rarely can you make two, especially against Vader/Palp!

I second that. I've played her as a deep striker in all my skirmish games, and I love her. Ahsoka works great in a Spy/Smuggler-heavy list. Command Cards like Hide in Plain Sight, Tough Luck, Element of Surprise, and Slippery Target among a few others provide her with a great bag of tricks and make her even less predictable than cards like Pummel. Movement and positioning is key to playing her, and she provided a steep learning curve to me as a beginning player when I started skirmish. So far, she never was defeated, even in games I lost. *knocks on wood*

There are the typical proven builds like R2, 3PO, Gideon, Jedi Luke and all, but I personally find it boring to just re-create the same old same old. I'd rather explore my own path (just like Snips). :D

All that being said, Imperial Assault is a game where you can simply grab a character you like, build a list around him or her, and still have fun and be able to win. Experiment with your homebrew and refine it. Experience is more important than fielding the (presumably) most powerful list. In my book, understanding the importance and intricacies of movement and positioning in the context of alternating initiative is the key to any successful list.

Edited by Fourtytwo

10 hours ago, QuarrenKing said:

You can make a list with enough points for all of that. Personally I wouldn't go with a Chewie Leia list to be honest. Sure, Chewie can redraw Debts Repaid, but you have to be too careful with Leia. I'd rather take Han and Drokkatta (shoutouts to my boy ryanjamal) than Chewie and Leia. They would be more fun, I think.

latest?cb=20151108055334

I ran Leia at a store tournament in August (before HOTE). She died quickly, but with careful play, I felt like I could get her points' worth out of her -- on one Raining Freight mission, she definitely picked up like 12 points of boxes, and still got at least one shot in. The real problem I had at the time was that I didn't have an obvious heavy hitter to pair her Battlefield Leadership ability with. HOTE gives you a Han fix, a Chewie fix, and Drokatta, any of whom are good options (there's a thread somewhere that a list with Han/Leia won a regionals ... think Han shooting three times is great? Try Four!). Or if you can get Drokatta to fire twice into a box, you can blast 4 or Shrapnel 2, which is likely to force your opponents to spread out.

Run Leia and Chewie together and make your opponent choose whether they focus fire on Chewie, or try to drop Leia and risk setting off Debts Repaid. A few spy cards from the ISB Enforcers pack, and you can mess with Take Initiative effects if they try to finish Chewie at the start of a round before he re-activates!

Leia can reasonably bring the Fool me Once command card from Ashoka's pack: it costs a spy two strain to use, and burns the opponent's discard pile. But if you're playing Leia, you can either use her surges to recover damage, or feel free to mill your own deck with those strain to find the card you want and stick it back in your deck with Military Efficiency. The fact that she can also use Officer's Training (and shoot, for that matter, Planning), makes a Leia list with R2-D2 included very likely to have the cards it wants. Multi-Son of Skywalker, here you come, especially since you can run Devotion with both R2 and 3P0 ("Excuse me, Master Luke, but have I ever told you how much I care?"). The trouble with Son of Skywalker is that you're not likely to keep Luke in range of Leia for him to be her Battlefield Leadership partner.

I'd say you need to be a really precise player to get Leia's full value, and I don't think she's as efficient for 8 points as Palp is for the Empire, but I think she's playable! And since your friend already has the pack, it might be worth learning to play with what he's got! As Han Solo sings: "If you can't play skirmish with the one you love, love the one you're with!"

Gideon, 3PO and R2, Hera and Chopper, 1 or 2 sets of Rangers, 1,2 or 3 Smugglers. That's all you really need. Leia is good, when you add Han. Han, Chewie, Jedi Luke are good as well. HotE came with updates for Han and Chewie, so you will need HotE to play them. Then you have all competitive figures.