Sign in to follow this  
Mantose262

AT-ST pilot and dice pool and stacking question.

I did a quick search, couldn't find anything about this.

What is the point of Weiss piloting the AT-ST? The AT-ST has Arsenal 2 without him right? So taking him is just an extra 10 points for no reason? Or are we forced to use a pilot for the AT-ST?

Also, when you use arsenal 2, do you fire both weapons separately even when attacking the same target or can you fire them both at the same time at the same target pooling the dice and stacking impact? For example the ms-4 twin blaster cannon and the 88 twin light blaster cannon. One has impact 3 and the other has impact 1.

5 minutes ago, Mantose262 said:

What is the point of Weiss piloting the AT-ST? The AT-ST has Arsenal 2 without him right? So taking him is just an extra 10 points for no reason? Or are we forced to use a pilot for the AT-ST?

Arsenal stacks when you use Weiss, so the AT-ST gets Arsenal 4 until the end of turn.  

6 minutes ago, Mantose262 said:

Also, when you use arsenal 2, do you fire both weapons separately even when attacking the same target or can you fire them both at the same time at the same target pooling the dice and stacking impact? For example the ms-4 twin blaster cannon and the 88 twin light blaster cannon. One has impact 3 and the other has impact 1.

I recommend you read the game's rules regarding shooting which can be found here: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/86/db/86dbf9d4-fb20-4f6a-bf5a-5297a62f60aa/swl_rules_reference_11_eng.pdf

As with Arsenal, if you shoot the same unit with both weapons, the attack gets Impact 4. 

Unless I miss my guess, since vehicles cannot be "engaged" in melee, an AT-ST with Weiss can tapdance on a trooper unit in melee, and then shoot three other weapons at other units, correct?  Arsenal just says weapons, and the Rules Reference specifically references a unit cannot use melee weapons and non-melee weapons "in the same attack pool".  Inferrence from that is you can melee and non-melee at SEPERATE targets.

Unless i am missing something.

According to the L2P and RRG, Arsenal doesn’t stack. The L2P only mentions weapon keywords stacking and the RRG only says anything about Impact stacking. 

Obiously just an oversight on their part. Hope they catch it before release day though...

2 minutes ago, OMGBRICK said:

According to the L2P and RRG, Arsenal doesn’t stack. The L2P only mentions weapon keywords stacking and the RRG only says anything about Impact stacking. 

Obiously just an oversight on their part. Hope they catch it before release day though...

Didn't they say though in the AT-ST article that Weiss stacks with the AT-ST, givng you Arsenal 4?

3 minutes ago, Shokupanman said:

Didn't they say though in the AT-ST article that Weiss stacks with the AT-ST, givng you Arsenal 4?

Yeah, it’s obviously their intention for unit keywords to stack. But there’s lots of rules errors in those articles so I’d hardly consider them a good reference - especially in organized play. 

Itd probably be a good idea for them to include the correct rules in places like... idk... the RRG :P

2 minutes ago, OMGBRICK said:

Yeah, it’s obviously their intention for unit keywords to stack. But there’s lots of rules errors in those articles so I’d hardly consider them a good reference - especially in organized play. 

Itd probably be a good idea for them to include the correct rules in places like... idk... the RRG :P

ha ha ha...yeah, I'm used to playing "spot the error" from X-wing articles.

Still, it would seem really, really dumb for them to give you an expansion with the only unit (on launch anyway) with a pilot slot, a pilot in the same expansion, and the only reason for using the pilot doesn't stack with the unit it came in, making it pretty much useless.

Like, why would I even put Weiss in an AT-ST otherwise?

@Shokupanman yes, I agree, it would be really, really dumb for them to print useless cards and I also agree that it’s their intent for Unit Keywords to stack. 

What I’m saying is that FFG should update the RRG to say they stack - since quoting articles in organized play isn’t going to fly. As rules are written currently, Arsenal and Precise don’t stack. It’s already come into question as can be seen by OP making this post and most people aren’t going to know to consult news articles as a source for the rules intent. 

18 hours ago, OMGBRICK said:

Wait, where in the RRG does it explicitly say that Arsenal does not stack?

Arsenal is a unit keyword. The L2P only states that weapon keywords stacks. The RRG only states that Impact stacks. So, as rules are currently written, Arsenal does not stack.

Yes, as I’ve stated above several times, it is obviously meant to stack. But FFG needs to add that into their rules. You can’t go by “well the rules never say it doesn’t stack”. By that logic the rules also never explicitly state I can’t knock all the opponents minis off the board with my hand for a free win.