IamtheBendu

Counter to Riots.

I am a Rebel player and my local meta is heavy Scum and Empire. I can play against the scum list pretty well. I am just struggling with imperial list right now, I am having a really hard time against the Riots and Jets list. I struggle to keep up with the mission. If I try to kill riots, the jets wreck me, if I go after Jets, the riots out mission me. I just cant seem to find a list that puts enough strong activation on the board to counter. 

What are other rebel players doing to counter this? 

I would attack the Jets first. If you can remove them, you really cut out the opponents ability to do damage. If you have a full complement of rebel heavy hitters, you should then be able to contest and take out the riots. I love Drokkata. Focused Drok can easily 1 shot a Jet, as well as cause some splash damage to wound any other nearby figures. Getting some blast damage on a group of troopers makes them all that much easier to kill.

20 minutes ago, Fightwookies said:

I would attack the Jets first. If you can remove them, you really cut out the opponents ability to do damage. If you have a full complement of rebel heavy hitters, you should then be able to contest and take out the riots. I love Drokkata. Focused Drok can easily 1 shot a Jet, as well as cause some splash damage to wound any other nearby figures. Getting some blast damage on a group of troopers makes them all that much easier to kill.

Agreed. Stick it to the jets and move back (or to one side of the map) away from the riots. Like putting your outstreched hand on their hand to keep the punches off of you. Just out of reach.

Edited by NeverBetTheFett

I think the best unit to take down fast those eRiot are eSentrys.

You have to calculate if you’re able to remove the entire eRiot group during the round, otherwise is not worth to kill just 1 figure in the group.

Against eJets it’s quite the opposite. If you can take away one unit from each group, they lose a lot of potential.

vic

Edited by viktr

1 hour ago, Fightwookies said:

I fully agree, Drokkata is excellent against them. Even around corners with his card and his splash. You can block their terrain(riots) to keep them away, but as Fightwookie says, try to take out the ejets first if you can. I also find Ko Tun a wicked sniper for this when she's focused, or even Solo(of course)...

Good hunting and GIA...

Edited by Shadowmax

I've even had decent luck with ESabs against ERiots (guys, I'm the last player bringing ESabs to Regionals tournaments ...). You're not going to stun Vader with them, but you have decent odds of stunning a riot trooper, especially with focus or help from Hera (or, uh, Murne, right guys? Guys?).

Chewbacca can also either hard-counter them with a shot or slam them off the objective, which may even be worth double-move/free-slamming if you stop a 4-point objective and score it with Chewie. In theory, that's an 11-point figure moving a 3.5-pt figure for an 8-pt objective swing, so it's efficient even if he doesn't get his shot off. Meanwhile Vader's going to go swing at your smuggler to set of Debts Repaid, right?

rWooks or EEchoes can toe-to-toe with a riot trooper. All three attack rolls are nearly identical, except that the block token (and zillo discards) give the ERiot a defensive edge, while the EEcho has a ranged attack and access to Call the Vanguard. If you're using Ko-Tun or Prepared for Battle to get block tokens onto the EEchoes or Wookies somehow, they're even-stevens defensively (short Zillo, again). The Wookies also have more hp than the ERiots, so with block tokens added in on ERiots, that's a pretty even fight. Add in Hera's surge/damage support (rWooks can throw bleed, which melee figures hate, or cleave-2 on that second ERiot or Vader) or 3P0 for evades, and the rWookies have an edge, and even command cards for brawler.

18 minutes ago, GottaBadFeelingAboutThis said:

I've even had decent luck with ESabs against ERiots (guys, I'm the last player bringing ESabs to Regionals tournaments ...).

I ran Han/Drokkatta/Sabs to the final table in KS regional. Just wanted to get some heavy weapon cards in play

18 minutes ago, Fightwookies said:

I ran Han/Drokkatta/Sabs to the final table in KS regional. Just wanted to get some heavy weapon cards in play

Ha, nice -- I did the same thing with Chewie/Drokatta/Sabs in MN, so I think I'm still technically more recent than you (and there was a spy-heavy list in Omaha on 1/13 that had Sabs, Ahsoka, and Davith at least!), but I'm glad other people are still using them! I feel like they've held up pretty well for a unit that's literally from wave 1. The expression on someone's face when ESabs take a Maximum Firepower shot at a Jet trooper or Equay is worth a lot.

Anyway, can't wait 'til we get our Rogue One box -- surely Baze is a Heavy Weapon rebel ally?

Also, here's a draft of a counter-Riot list:

http://tabletopadmiral.com/imperialassault/5a938a813f053e8f00000000000000cb8d0f01ba14c677b6813f391fb435

You'll have to play around Vader, and it'll have trouble running objectives home, but you should be able to clear basically anything else off the table while taking your knocks.

Nah, we were the week after. I considered the drive up to minnesota, but back to back weekends was too much time away from the kiddo and I already had dice.

They're not strong by any means, but Drok does make heavy weapon better and Spy is great just for Intel Leak.

Edited by Fightwookies

25 minutes ago, Fightwookies said:

Nah, we were the week after. I considered the drive up to minnesota, but back to back weekends was too much time away from the kiddo and I already had dice.

They're not strong by any means, but Drok does make heavy weapon better and Spy is great just for Intel Leak.

Ha, fair enough!

I think the trouble with Rebels trying to counter ERiots is that you can get an even matchup card by card ... but you're not going to be able to hold it when either Palp or Vader arrive from the rear. Either the ERiots will get an extra swing in, or Vader will. It really feels like the Rebel strategy needs to be a running fight, scrambling for objectives while circling from Vader/Palp.

A Leia fix could make her match up well with Palp -- she already grants an extra attack to a friendly, and her card cycling abilities are potent. Honestly, if she simply had 12 or 13 hp and an extra damage, she'd be comparable.

Alliance Rangers can likely knock the block token off a riot or two, and they come in swarms of three so you are most likely taking down some riots with those guys. And if they have reinforcements? There's nothing another group of rangers can do. You just have to be tricky with the rangers' movement.