Sign in to follow this  
beefcake4000

Purchasing advice?

From peeps in the know... 

Have we got confirmation about whether the expansion sets have unique cards/upgrades compared to their equivalent units in the core set? As in If I only want 2 storm troopers do I just buy a core or do I really need a core and an expansion stormtroopers like in IA? 

Same goes for all the others that are double ups. 

5 hours ago, Tirion said:

And yes grappling hooks and impact grenades are not on the core but are in the trooper expansions. They will also be in the next two sets of troopers.

And the AT-RT and Speeder bike upgrades both come with Comms Jammers, but so do the AT-ST and the Airspeeder. 

Personally, I decided to buy two cores, as while I delay my access to physical cards for Impact Grenades and Grappling Hooks, I will get more product for my $90 than I would if I spent $100 on getting one of each of the "duplicate" unit expansions. If I need the grenades and grappling hooks, I'm sure someone at my club will have some spare I can borrow for official events, or I can always find them on the secondary market.

If you want official copies of impact grenades or grappling hooks you need the expansion. If you don’t need them or don’t care for whatever reason the core is fine (though you need more trooper units of some sort for an 800 point game). 

8 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

If you want official copies of impact grenades or grappling hooks you need the expansion. If you don’t need them or don’t care for whatever reason the core is fine (though you need more trooper units of some sort for an 800 point game). 

If X-Wing, Armada, and IA are anything to go by, official copies of the cards will be readily available from third party sellers for those of us buying 2 cores, or anyone NOT buying more than one additional of the initial Corps units. Since they're going to be in the first four trooper boxes at least, I doubt the price will be too high. 

13 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

If X-Wing, Armada, and IA are anything to go by, official copies of the cards will be readily available from third party sellers for those of us buying 2 cores, or anyone NOT buying more than one additional of the initial Corps units. Since they're going to be in the first four trooper boxes at least, I doubt the price will be too high. 

This is true, the free market always finds a way.

I am still undecided how I want to go about buying units. I’ll wait and see how I get my core set painted up and then go from there. Either way I’ll just proxy any cards I need and do not have. 

2 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

And the AT-RT and Speeder bike upgrades both come with Comms Jammers, but so do the AT-ST and the Airspeeder. 

Personally, I decided to buy two cores, as while I delay my access to physical cards for Impact Grenades and Grappling Hooks, I will get more product for my $90 than I would if I spent $100 on getting one of each of the "duplicate" unit expansions. If I need the grenades and grappling hooks, I'm sure someone at my club will have some spare I can borrow for official events, or I can always find them on the secondary market.

I would agree if you are collecting both sides I would go there double core route. If only one side though I don't recommend it

17 minutes ago, Tirion said:

I would agree if you are collecting both sides I would go there double core route. If only one side though I don't recommend it

If you are buying one Stormtrooper, one Speeder bike, the Dice, and the movement tools, that works out to $80, for $10 more you get all that plus a bunch more stuff you might be able to offload.

2x Units of troopers ~50 USD

Speeder Bikes or ATRT ~25 USD

Luke or Vader ~13 USD

About 88 USD in models alone even if you're only using half of them. Pretty good value. Diminishes with a second box as you only get about 75 USD in value, but if you and someone else splits a pair of boxes, both of you get about 168 USD in models + templates dice etc.

25 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

About 88 USD in models alone even if you're only using half of them. Pretty good value. Diminishes with a second box as you only get about 75 USD in value, but if you and someone else splits a pair of boxes, both of you get about 168 USD in models + templates dice etc.

There are not enough dice in the core box to roll a single attack without re-rolling. So add $15 to the second box value, unless you plan on using the roller app. Spare set of maneuver templates aren't the worst thing in case yours break/lost/stolen. Spare Luke or Vader isn't a total waste as having a second paint job for the mirror match isn't the worst idea. 

42 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

If you are buying one Stormtrooper, one Speeder bike, the Dice, and the movement tools, that works out to $80, for $10 more you get all that plus a bunch more stuff you might be able to offload.

Who is buying another movement set? 

2 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Probably people who plan to play with a friend using one core and don’t want to share tools. (Same people who might buy dice instead of just rolling twice or thrice). 

Not the same people everyone will buy more dice I would imagine most will not buy another movement tool

Edited by Tirion

Why do people double post so much in this forum? It‘s super annoying.

I‘ve decided for myself that a second core box is totally worth it, for the units and the accessories. 

3 minutes ago, Tirion said:

Forum glitch

That must be it.

7 minutes ago, Tirion said:

Not the same people everyone will buy more dice I would imagine most will not buy another movement tool

Most people who have played a tabletop before will know to appreciate the luxury of a second movement tool. 

1 hour ago, mini78 said:

Snowtroopers and Veers are April.

I doubt they will be put before May or June.  But that’s just me.  I don’t think they’re on the boat yet which is a 6 to 8 week process normally.  I would think May is best case scenario for veers/snow troopers.

Since the game appears to not share the X-wing structure of having to buy every ship because something you don't want has copies of upgrade cards you need, my plan is to split two Core sets with a friend, taking the imperials, and then I'll buy an AT-ST on top of that.  I'll have a full set of tools/dice, Darth Vader, four core set Stormies, two sections of bikes, and an AT-ST.  I wont have grappling hooks nor Impact grenades, but I'll live without to start.

I think that's a fairly flexible roster for day one launch armies.

For me I know I will want at least 2 copies of impact grenades so one here one in the fleet troopers.

Also I don't know what wargammers you're referring to that need multiple movement tools.... Armada yes cause there are different distances but most games use tape measures and people aren't running around with multiple take measures.