Sign in to follow this  
Cry Ptic Life

Imperial What to Buy

Hey all!  People have been giving advice left and right, and I almost can’t believe how helpful these peeps are.  Amazing.  People have given me tips on what to buy, but my empty brain coudnt handle it, so yeah... but what should I buy?  A friend has Ejets, should I buy them from him or buy Jabba's realm altogether?  I’m ? broke, so won’t pick anything up till the end of the summer.  Which big box?  My brother and I are sharing the core set, but looking to purchase more.  Tips?

14 minutes ago, Cry Ptic Life said:

Hey all!  People have been giving advice left and right, and I almost can’t believe how helpful these peeps are.  Amazing.  People have given me tips on what to buy, but my empty brain coudnt handle it, so yeah... but what should I buy?  A friend has Ejets, should I buy them from him or buy Jabba's realm altogether?  I’m ? broke, so won’t pick anything up till the end of the summer.  Which big box?  My brother and I are sharing the core set, but looking to purchase more.  Tips?

100% you should get HOTE. You get the Vader fix and sentry droids and riots. 

Coming from the perspective of someone who is also starting out, but has figured out what to buy next, here's what I would recommend.

It seems eJets are powerful enough to have 2 groups of, so probably buy them from your friend and eventually grab Jabba's Realm if you want to dabble in Scum. Heart of the Empire seems to be the expansion to buy right now. Lots of great command cards along with ATDP, Sentries, and Riot Troopers making an impact plus Vader fix! Then just grab Emperor "Papa" Palpatine and that should be a very solid starting point. The only thing you could NEED from that is Zillo Technique from Agent Blaise, but see if you can proxy or borrow that from someone else until you can get it for yourself. 

Edited by RStan

Repeating previous ideas, HotE is the best bang for your buck. Agent Blaise is a must to get Zillo. I would buy Palp. Then you have the best card in the game, Zillo, three cornerstones, Palp/Vader/ATDP, arguably the most powerful glass cannon unit the game, eSentries, great rank and file in the Riots, and you would have a bunch of cards to make all of them work. 

It won't be 100% top-tier since: 1: yes, you want eJets, buying them outright is a good idea, and 2: you want booster pack ccs, like Overrun (Gen. Weiss), Fuel Upgrade(Sorin), Grenadier and reinforcements (both in Rebel Troopers).

1 hour ago, Cry Ptic Life said:

Ohk.  Even with Blaise having Zillo Technique?

I forgot he comes with zillo technique. 

You can probably find some ebay listing with just that card. It would be cheaper than the whole ten bucks, but having the agent blaise figure and skirmish map is alright too.

or just get the emperor, 3 Dewbacks and some eJets and officers and you'r set.

Road Lizards for the win.

i really wish FFG would release certain Alt ARt Command cards instead of unfixed deployment cards sometimes, just for the newbies.  I've recently been advising people to get Vader or Officers from ebay and leave the Core set alone since most just want to pick up the game.  A new Skirmish starter set for $50 would let people in the game way easier and cheaper access to skirmish maps (tiles and mousepads are ridiculous.)

Edited by buckero0

17 hours ago, buckero0 said:

or just get the emperor, 3 Dewbacks and some eJets and officers and you'r set.

Road Lizards for the win.

Oh ok.  Thanks for the advice ??.  Since I don’t have enough money for three dewbacks outright...  what’s a replacement for the dewbacks?

49 minutes ago, Cry Ptic Life said:

Oh ok.  Thanks for the advice ??.  Since I don’t have enough money for three dewbacks outright...  what’s a replacement for the dewbacks?

Ha, his list sounds fun, but I think he's mostly kidding. Maybe hold back on trip-dewbacks unless-and-until you're sure that's your play style. ;P

Honestly (someone check my work here?), if you get Core, HOTE, Blaise, and Stormtroopers, I'm pretty sure you could build a list with Vader/Palp/2xERiots/2xrOfficers/Zillo. You'd lose out on ranged damage (if you want to experiment with it, you could add in Elite Stormtroopers for one set of ERiots and an officer, though the EJets from Jabba's Realm are FAR superior), but the list would be playable: you'd want to try to control objectives, include defense and movement command cards to get Vader in position, and your general strategy would be to keep ERiots on objectives, and then keep Vader and Palp together as an aggressive area-control threat, ideally with Vader attacking three times each round (natural, Palp attack with Emperor, and end-of-round from Driven by Hate).

You'd have a Palp token (from HOTE) instead of the figure, and Palp's blister pack comes with some good command cards (Dark Energy, Prepared for Battle, Officer's Training, I think), so you might want to buy that, too. But even without it, you'd have the list-required "Reinforcements" cards from Stormtroopers (along with Stealth Tactics, which is potent on Vader and useful anywhere). You could instead buy the Rebel Troopers pack instead for Reinforcements and Grenadier -- helpful with Palp's unmitigated tempt/force lightning powers, but if you're trying to build inexpensively, you might do Stormtroopers and use the 3-point Imperial Force User cards (Force LightningLure of the Dark Side) from the Core set. It won't be the most efficient list in the game, but it'll be playable, and it'll save your wallet some grief while you learn the ropes! With Zillo Technique in your build, it would be okay if some of your command cards aren't the finest in the land ... any Core set card is as good a discard for a block as the state-of-the-art meta's finest.

Yeah Dewbacks aren't for the Feint of Heart:D

Zillo is so "Imperial Must Have" unfortunately.  But if you're on that tight of a budget, honestly, I would try to buy a core on the cheap (I've seen them for $60 if you're really scouring the eBay) HotE and the Emperor.  Everything else you could maybe proxy or print out or get with a friend. So you can build up slowly. There are so many duplicates in the core, you may price out just buying the Imperial side of the core to start or find someone's collection for sale.

2 minutes ago, Cry Ptic Life said:

This list sounds awesome.  Thanks for your time ??.  If I can buy Ejets from a friend, would it be worth it? And if it is, should I just buy one pair of the elites or should I buy both from him?

E-jets are a great unit and they can be played with just about any imperial list.  I'd say that they would probably be worth it.

Buying two, though, really depends on whether you ever plan on getting the Jabba's Realm expansion.  If you buy that in the future then your second set of e-jets would be completely redundant.

@buckero0 thx, I have the core and I split the imperial and rebel side with him, currently I’m seeing if the price for HOTE will go any lower, if it doesn’t, then I’ll just purchase it.  I think I  can pick up Ejets from a friend too.  Also my birthdays in early August so I think that’s where I’ll get most of my stuff.

If you are broke do not buy anything but boxed expansions, with a preference for the big boxes. Save and wait. Price is meaningless,  value is everything.  

Edit: And on that note... buy a gently used copy of the core game somewhere. You and your chief opponent ought not to be splitting a core game unless you are mostly playing "campaign". You'll start running into problems, trust me. It seems like you won't. But unless you are very very causal in your approach to this game (unlikely given the nature of your inquiries) you will start running into one annoyance after another if you have one core set between you. And forget about getting others to join in your skirmish games if there's just one core set in the house.

Edited by TauntaunScout