deDios

Other Tatooine (ND, SD, EastMT, SE SK, SW MB)

On 8/29/2018 at 10:00 AM, SgtDurandal said:

NECROMANCY!  - Hey all, I've been kicking around the idea of organizing a casual tournament here in Rapid City, South Dakota this Fall. Might be able to provide kit prizes but if not The Durandal Initiative could potentially provide some swag to the winners. Since our local game store closed it's doors today this tournament would be held at a venue in Rapid City, SD TBD. I've got several available options that would work depending on the level of interest.

What I'm wondering is.... are there players in or around the Midwest region that would be interested in attending assuming scheduling works out? If this is something that you could see yourself at please sound off.

@deDios @jasonkc25 @RyonOlson @Palanthas @Andrew Wiggin @JauntyChapeau @durandal343

If the event doesn't interfere with prior commitments (working on some top-level rocketry stuff this year at my college), it's a yes for me. I don't get enough chances to play Armada haha.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:00 AM, SgtDurandal said:

NECROMANCY!  - Hey all, I've been kicking around the idea of organizing a casual tournament here in Rapid City, South Dakota this Fall. Might be able to provide kit prizes but if not The Durandal Initiative could potentially provide some swag to the winners. Since our local game store closed it's doors today this tournament would be held at a venue in Rapid City, SD TBD. I've got several available options that would work depending on the level of interest.

What I'm wondering is.... are there players in or around the Midwest region that would be interested in attending assuming scheduling works out? If this is something that you could see yourself at please sound off.

@deDios @jasonkc25 @RyonOlson @Palanthas @Andrew Wiggin @JauntyChapeau @durandal343

If it doesn’t conflict, count me in.

Alright ya'll. It's a bit short notice but does the first Sat in November (that's Nov 3rd) work for anyone that's interested in a "The Other Tatooine Tournament" here in Rapid City, SD. I currently have a roof and 4 walls that can handle 4 tables of Armada simultaneously. Please let me know if you can commit and if we get more than 8 players I'll work at finding a better venue.

https://www.facebook.com/events/311312389651868/

Also, big shout out to The Armchair Admirals who have offered to provide some tournament prizes for this event. More info coming...

Edited by SgtDurandal

8 minutes ago, Mogrok said:

I would if I wasn't at worlds for runewars that weekend. 

Sorry that the timing works out that way! I'm hoping this will just be the first we organize . I'd like to do a couple a year is possible. Next time and good luck at Worlds!

31 minutes ago, SgtDurandal said:

Sorry that the timing works out that way! I'm hoping this will just be the first we organize . I'd like to do a couple a year is possible. Next time and good luck at Worlds!

I have never played a game yet lol.   But the prizes just for showing up are amazing this year...and I am pretty sure top 32 is guaranteed as they only had like 16 last year...and like 20 at gencon this year.  The mechanics of the game are great as well. 

I'm in.  BUT (and I know you have limited control of this) - there really needs to be a good expected turnout for this for me to make it.  It's a six hour drive from Denver, so I'll need two nights in a hotel and I'll be super sad if we end up with four/five people.

I'll broadcast this in the Denver Star Wars gaming Facebook page and see if we can't get some more interested people!

3 hours ago, JauntyChapeau said:

I'm in.  BUT (and I know you have limited control of this) - there really needs to be a good expected turnout for this for me to make it.  It's a six hour drive from Denver, so I'll need two nights in a hotel and I'll be super sad if we end up with four/five people.

I'll broadcast this in the Denver Star Wars gaming Facebook page and see if we can't get some more interested people!

Totally understandable! My brother lives in Ft Collins and might be interested in coming up for this as well. I'll keep you posted.

3 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

You people in Sioux Falls and Rapid City have it good.  I'm in Pierre...  No game/hobby stores, no place to play, no one that does play.  It's a gaming desert between Rapid and Sioux Falls.

I sympathize with you. It's not a terrible drive from Pierre. Any chance you'd be interested in attending?

November 3rd, huh? I'll put myself down as a maybe (70/30 chance I can make it) for the time being. I will know tomorrow if I will have that day available.

Not terribly excited about the 4 hour drive, but the chance to play Armada with people outside my local group makes it worthwhile.

18 hours ago, RyonOlson said:

November 3rd, huh? I'll put myself down as a maybe (70/30 chance I can make it) for the time being. I will know tomorrow if I will have that day available.

Not terribly excited about the 4 hour drive, but the chance to play Armada with people outside my local group makes it worthwhile.

I totally get not looking forward to the drive. @durandal343 and I once drove to Denver for the regionals there. 6 hours in the car (with him) was very unpleasant :). But totally worth it! Hope it works out that you can join us.

On 10/3/2018 at 5:26 PM, SgtDurandal said:

I sympathize with you. It's not a terrible drive from Pierre. Any chance you'd be interested in attending?

Interest, yes.  Ability, no.

Wife, 3 kids, 2 dogs, house, new job.  2 of my kids have a swim meet that weekend here in Pierre.

Maybe if this is successful, and we can get some kind of semi-regular thing going (quarterly or bi-annual desert tournament?), then I could maybe make a future one.  Since my local meta is me and my kids right now, I should be a good way for people to get some easy wins.

That's life. And I think as it stands right now there hasn't been enough confirmed people that can make it so I think we'll have to shelve this idea for now. I think we'll try and organize something again in the Spring.

Just moved into the Rapid City area and found this thread after struggling to find a game store that wasn't closed. Im not sure if you tried to put another tournament together in another thread, but I'd definitely be interested in something like that. I'd also love to know if there is a good place around here that people are meeting for games.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:07 PM, NightAngel47 said:

Just moved into the Rapid City area and found this thread after struggling to find a game store that wasn't closed. Im not sure if you tried to put another tournament together in another thread, but I'd definitely be interested in something like that. I'd also love to know if there is a good place around here that people are meeting for games.

@SgtDurandal you’ve got another player

On 4/19/2019 at 7:07 PM, NightAngel47 said:

Well hello! Welcome to the area! Unfortunately, the last game store in town closed down last summer. At the moment the Armada scene in Rapid consists of myself and @durandal343. We play as often as we can and stream our games here: https://www.youtube.com/thedurandalinitiative. If you're interested in grabbing a game sometime let me know. We'd be happy to have another regular player.

As for organizing a tournament. I think we'd like to try but schedules being what they are right now I'm not sure. If we could get more then a couple people to commit I could arrange a venue and possibly a modest prize pool.

44 minutes ago, SgtDurandal said:

Well hello! Welcome to the area! Unfortunately, the last game store in town closed down last summer. At the moment the Armada scene in Rapid consists of myself and @durandal343. We play as often as we can and stream our games here: https://www.youtube.com/thedurandalinitiative. If you're interested in grabbing a game sometime let me know. We'd be happy to have another regular player.

As for organizing a tournament. I think we'd like to try but schedules being what they are right now I'm not sure. If we could get more then a couple people to commit I could arrange a venue and possibly a modest prize pool.

That's a bummer, but I'm still glad there are other people in the area. I'll message you.