VaynMaanen

Petition For System Open Series in the Southeast USA

The Southeast USA has been underrepresented in major events, and I think it's time we get a large scale tournament in our region. 

Please help me weigh interest in this by signing the petition below so we can forward to FFG OP/Cascade Games and make this a reality. 

Thank you for your time!

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/system-open-for-south-east-usa

The Atlanta community has briefly considered seceding from the union of x-wing and hosting our own “separatist open series” as a way to passive aggressively poke fun at our complete lack of anything higher than a regional. 

Let it be known that we ran a 140 person regional a month ago in the time it usually takes people to run a 70 person event. 

1 hour ago, nikk whyte said:

The Atlanta community has briefly considered seceding from the union of x-wing and hosting our own “separatist open series” as a way to passive aggressively poke fun at our complete lack of anything higher than a regional. 

Let it be known that we ran a 140 person regional a month ago in the time it usually takes people to run a 70 person event. 

Exaggeration much?   70 people = 6 rounds + top 8, for an average of 11 hours (6 @ 90min, 3 @ 60min).  140 people = 6 rounds + top 16, so in order to run that in 11 hours, you'd either have to cut down from 15min between rounds to 5min (which is totally infeasible since some games run over the 75min mark and go almost until the 90min mark), or you'd have to have extremely fast elimination rounds, averaging 45min instead of the 60min I stated.  If the latter, it's nothing to brag about.  If the former, then yes, absolutely worth bragging about, and please let us all know how you accomplished that.  Or if there's a 3rd option, please elaborate.

9 hours ago, Khyros said:

Exaggeration much?   70 people = 6 rounds + top 8, for an average of 11 hours (6 @ 90min, 3 @ 60min).  140 people = 6 rounds + top 16, so in order to run that in 11 hours, you'd either have to cut down from 15min between rounds to 5min (which is totally infeasible since some games run over the 75min mark and go almost until the 90min mark), or you'd have to have extremely fast elimination rounds, averaging 45min instead of the 60min I stated.  If the latter, it's nothing to brag about.  If the former, then yes, absolutely worth bragging about, and please let us all know how you accomplished that.  Or if there's a 3rd option, please elaborate.

No hyperbole. We wrapped about the same time as the 50 person regional the next week in Nashville. You can ask @NervousSam or @jjayers99, our 2 to’s for the event. 

Edited by nikk whyte

But what about the lack of support for the Russians?

it is critical we convince FFG to send them official support immediately. It’s a community we can’t afford to lose.

I mean yeah we don’t get a system open but we do get Krayt cup so... 

Edited by FlyingAnchors

Registration opened at 9 and our final was finished by 12:30. Our cut games were rather quick and the cut players voted themselves to have the shortest of meal breaks before continuing after swiss(the store had a kitchen to facilitate this). I'm not sure how long our breaks were between swiss rounds, but we made it a real effort to move as quickly as we could. 

7 hours ago, nikk whyte said:

No hyperbole. We wrapped about the same time as the 50 person regional the next week in Nashville. You can ask @NervousSam or @jjayers99, our 2 to’s for the event. 

Soo, nothing special except quick elimination rounds, which has nothing to do with the organization of the event. See, I was hoping you were going to say something like: We post the results and pairings online so everyone can use their smart phones to get their pairings, cutting down about 5min in between the rounds. Or We schedule food trucks to setup in the parking lot, eliminating the requirement for a lunch break, saving another hour. 

These are both things I've seen done very successfully, and was hoping you had additional tricks to brag about that we could all learn from.

Edited by Khyros

20 hours ago, VaynMaanen said:

The Southeast USA has been underrepresented in major events, and I think it's time we get a large scale tournament in our region. 

Please help me weigh interest in this by signing the petition below so we can forward to FFG OP/Cascade Games and make this a reality. 

Thank you for your time!

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/system-open-for-south-east-usa

While I would love more opportunities to get Vayn out of Florida, I think that Oceania at the least deserves one a bit more. 

I think Atlanta would be an ideal spot for one though.  

90/300 signatures in the first day! incredible!

Everyone that has signed, please tell you're local communities. If we can each get 2 more people you sign, we should meet our goal quickly!

For those in other regions of the world, don't fret. Help us support our request, and if it works, we can help with your own request to reach your part of the world. The X-wing community knows no borders!

1 hour ago, Khyros said:

Soo, nothing special except quick elimination rounds, which has nothing to do with the organization of the event. See, I was hoping you were going to say something like: We post the results and pairings online so everyone can use their smart phones to get their pairings, cutting down about 5min in between the rounds. Or We schedule food trucks to setup in the parking lot, eliminating the requirement for a lunch break, saving another hour. 

These are both things I've seen done very successfully, and was hoping you had additional tricks to brag about that we could all learn from.

Well we did work out a preordering system for lunch with the store's menu which worked really well. However the main thing we did was start on time, move with pace, and avoided any major mistakes that required repairings. While that may not be a sexy answer, I've seen plenty of other tournies struggle with these fundamentals and I'm super proud of the events I've run.

7 minutes ago, NervousSam said:

Well we did work out a preordering system for lunch with the store's menu which worked really well. However the main thing we did was start on time, move with pace, and avoided any major mistakes that required repairings. While that may not be a sexy answer, I've seen plenty of other tournies struggle with these fundamentals and I'm super proud of the events I've run.

I want to apologize for my tone.  I was not meaning to come across like I was stating that it was a poorly run tourney, or that running a large tourney successfully is easy, which reading back through what I said is kinda the impression I got.

I was asking for true innovative solutions that could be rolled out elsewhere.  

8 minutes ago, NervousSam said:

Might not be the same number of people, but Florida will try to beat your time of 6 rounds Swiss top 16 cut! BRING IT ON

2 minutes ago, Khyros said:

I was asking for true innovative solutions that could be rolled out elsewhere.  

Sad state of times when not being knee deep in snafu could be seen as innovative, but I digress.

I signed it.

1 hour ago, Veldrin said:

How about one in Asia or Australia?

Asia is far too remote to make an effective system open, but don't worry...

All good. The one thing we didnt do was an online pairing notification system. The store's wifi was acting up(check the utter crap quality of our stream lol), so that would've likely crashed had we tried it. Ive seen those used and they do work well. Atomic Empire it North Carolina does that, and thats the one store I've seen move at a pace to try and emulate.